DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You can check for a vacuum leak by lightly spraying WD-40 at the base of the throttle body & at hose fittings, the engine will either race or sputter when you locate the leak

looks like in the 1500 series Rams, the fuel pump is the same
(96) 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8 & (96) 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8
Part Number: 1966-07006127
Brand: Airtex
Notes: Fuel Pump Module Assembly

It looks like a few other parts are also interchangeable
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Please don't spend money on things other than a fuel pressure gauge . You have the classic symptoms of a failing fuel pump. With a full tank, you're best off buying a 12 pack or two and a coupla pizzas and inviting 3 strong backed friends over to pull the bed off of your truck, swapping pumps and putting it back on. Remember to buy a new sock to validate the pump warranty. Put your new fuel pressure gauge beneath a wiper and drive it around until the motor starts running like a dying creature, any flux in pressure will prove the culprit is the fuel pump. Bring a thumper for smucking your fuel tank to bring your fuel pump back to life, so you can get back home.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

the thing to remember about the pump is tank size, both trucks should have the same tank for the pick up and sending unit. if one truck has a bigger tank then the other you will have to change the pick up and float. if you can. but as for the rest they should both put out the same fuel pressure for the computer.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:31
charlieb is on a distinguished road

just my 2 cents i would just swap the tank complete with pump inside same year trucks should be fine.can use a cheap transfer pump to drain,this way dont have to worry about screwing with rusty lock down rings changing pump.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
DodgeGuy85 is on a distinguished road

Ok guys here's where I'm at with trying to figure out the problem I'm having,Almost at my wits end with it.I changed the plugs,wires,coil yesterday.switched them out from the other truck since they were fairly new the plugs are "CHAMPIONS"with 7mm wires.Also ran seafoam thru it which seemed to help a little.It still spits and pops when I put it in drive hold the brake and give it gas not sure if it's backfiring thru throttle body or what.I have a buddy who has a scanner but have not been able to get it from him yet so just trying to keep myself busy on trying to figure it out or atleast get an idea of what it's doing. I know the plenum gasket needs replacing seen that yesterday.could that be the root of the problem? I'm thinking it's a misfire that i'm dealing with atleast thats what it seems to be.When it's idling you can feel the truck like jolting or bucking in a way every couple of seconds.Here's some things I came up with on what I think could be an issue.Maybe yall can help me rule it out.If possible...
1.Blown plenum gasket ?
2.Bad fuel injectors ?
3.Crank position sensor ?
4.Map sensor ?
5.Water in fuel or bad fuel ?
6.Cap and or rotor ?
I turned key to on position and listened to fuel pump and it sounded strong so I'm ruling that out.Some one told me that it could be spark knock. is that a good possibility? I just changed the plugs,wires and coil but did'nt check the cap.Kinda looks hard to do being where it's at.Any tips on how to make it easy to get off.Do I have to undo the wires from on top to get to the screws? Thanks for any help and suggestions. ~Ronnie~
Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Oops almost forgot to mention.When it's in park and I give it gas and lets just say I hold it at like 2500 rpms it feels like it's vibrating.Now what I'm thinking is,The truck has aftermarket headers and they're missing 2 header bolts.Which is the last bolt on rear of motor drivers side and the first bolt on passenger side front of motor.Being that the bolts are missing could that be a problem with the vibrations I'm feeling,or could it be the crank dampener going bad? are they known to just go bad?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGuy85 View Post
Ok guys here's where I'm at with trying to figure out the problem I'm having,Almost at my wits end with it.I changed the plugs,wires,coil yesterday.switched them out from the other truck since they were fairly new the plugs are "CHAMPIONS"with 7mm wires.Also ran seafoam thru it which seemed to help a little.It still spits and pops when I put it in drive hold the brake and give it gas not sure if it's backfiring thru throttle body or what.I have a buddy who has a scanner but have not been able to get it from him yet so just trying to keep myself busy on trying to figure it out or atleast get an idea of what it's doing. I know the plenum gasket needs replacing seen that yesterday.could that be the root of the problem? I'm thinking it's a misfire that i'm dealing with atleast thats what it seems to be.When it's idling you can feel the truck like jolting or bucking in a way every couple of seconds.Here's some things I came up with on what I think could be an issue.Maybe yall can help me rule it out.If possible...
1.Blown plenum gasket ?
2.Bad fuel injectors ?
3.Crank position sensor ?
4.Map sensor ?
5.Water in fuel or bad fuel ?
6.Cap and or rotor ?
I turned key to on position and listened to fuel pump and it sounded strong so I'm ruling that out.Some one told me that it could be spark knock. is that a good possibility? I just changed the plugs,wires and coil but did'nt check the cap.Kinda looks hard to do being where it's at.Any tips on how to make it easy to get off.Do I have to undo the wires from on top to get to the screws? Thanks for any help and suggestions. ~Ronnie~
I'm going to sound like a broken record- you're changing parts to fix a problem you have without a clue as to the source of the problem. By doing so, you may be adding to the problem vice repairing it. Changing the plugs, wires, and coil does nothing for the vacuum leak you heard earlier.

You need to stop changing parts and do proper diagnosis for the basic problem you reported. You'll only frustrate yourself further.....

The fuel pump could still bad, even though it sounds strong. You have to measure the fuel pressure under load (running) vice just turning on the key and hearing it run for a second. Also, the new problem (vibration) can be a result of plug wires being out of order, incorrect spark plug gap, or incorrect coil.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I turned key to on position and listened to fuel pump and it sounded strong so I'm ruling that out.
What do you mean it sounds strong?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM

"SeattlePete" I totally understand what you're saying.I have a buddy with a scanner but he's out of town at the moment, so will be a few days before he can get it to me. I'm only trying to rule out the obvious problems to narrow it down if possible being that I have a few days before I get scanner in hand.I've always been told that a vacuum leak tends to raise the idle.As of right now the truck does not have a high idle issue only thing it does idle wise is lower whenever I put it in drive or reverse but raises back to normal when in neutral.So I'm not totally ruling out a vacuum leak as of yet.I also do not have a fuel pressure gauge so not sure how to get around that one.I really don't have the funds to be running around and buying tools that I don't have so I will also have to find a buddy who may have one I can borrow.As for the plug wires being out of order I took plugs and wires out one by one from my other truck which I know are correct being that my other truck did'nt have this issue and the plugs were correctly gapped when I bought them.The coils from both trucks had the same part number.only difference was that the one on the 5.9 was slightly larger but they had same part numbers which is why I thought the swap out would work.I could be totally wrong on that though.It's definately a misfire issue,Not saying that the fuel pump is'nt the reason behind it.It's running like it has a dead cylinder but I'm not a master mechanic so I can't honestly diagnose it as such.I've just heard that a dead cylinder will make motors run like crap which is obvious.I was told to do a cylinder leak down test to check compression but that's another tool I do not own nor have ever performed so would'nt have a clue how to do it. There's only a number of things I am confident that I can fix or doagnose.I know the obvious is fuel & spark and I have both.The truck fires right up without a hesitation it just runs like crap and the check engine is not on. "SNRUSNAK" when I described hearing the fuel pump as running "STRONG" I meant sounding normal like my other truck sounds like when I turn the key on because it has a new pump.I understand the possibility that it may be running weak even though it sounds good.I don't know what else to do. I am hoping that it's something stupid being that I'm only working part-time and on limited funds on what I can afford to fix. I just don't understand how this truck test drove fine and ran fine most of the way home when I bought it then just went south like it did only during a 30 minute drive. The oil is clean like it was just changed and full and tranny fluid is the same. I hope being that the oil is so fresh that the previous owner was'nt trying to cover up a blown head gasket which may also be a problem it has I just dont know.Is there any cheap way to check to see if all the fuel injectors are firing or a way to take them out and maybe clean them just to rule that out as well?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Let me also note that the misfiring issue started before I changed plugs,wires and coil It started the first night I bought it while driving it home.It wouldnt get up to speed and was spitting and popping like how a car sounds just before it runs out of gas but I filled the tank up before I drove it home so I know It's not low on fuel.