DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Were you aware that your rims were chromed plastic covers?
Yes 382 55.04%
No 312 44.96%
Voters: 694. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Definitely the ticket. Windex style glass cleaner did the trick on the brake dust and water spots. No hard rubbing required, either. For extreme buildup after a period of neglect, Bleche-White wheel/tire cleaner might be necessary. A little wax after cleaning keeps them cleaner longer and easier to wipe down the next time.
The wax is a good idea but don't use Windex on them after that or it will strip the wax. I wax my chrome-clads and use soap & water (w/ a cotton towel) for the next few washes until it's just too hard to get them clean. Then it's time for Windex and another coat of wax.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

When I purchased my vehicle they told me that they were chrome rims and when I really looked at the truck I noted that they were chrome clad. I had him check this at which time he did say "oh yeah they have changed on this model of year". I noticed that the 2012 Longhorn has the upgraded rims and they look good.

I was told to use an SOS pad on my rims. This was due to the over spray from the spray in bed liner. I have not used SOS pads on my truck but I still have the overspray from it.

I am just wondering if this would be a warranty issue. When I picked out the vehicle I told them about it and when I picked it up a month later, it wasn't taken care of. Does anyone have any ideas that would take this off.

I also noted that the overspray in on the rear panel of the truck as well. Maybe I am being too picky but hey, it's my toy right....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
When I purchased my vehicle they told me that they were chrome rims and when I really looked at the truck I noted that they were chrome clad. I had him check this at which time he did say "oh yeah they have changed on this model of year". I noticed that the 2012 Longhorn has the upgraded rims and they look good.

I was told to use an SOS pad on my rims. This was due to the over spray from the spray in bed liner. I have not used SOS pads on my truck but I still have the overspray from it.

I am just wondering if this would be a warranty issue. When I picked out the vehicle I told them about it and when I picked it up a month later, it wasn't taken care of. Does anyone have any ideas that would take this off.

I also noted that the overspray in on the rear panel of the truck as well. Maybe I am being too picky but hey, it's my toy right....
Definitely NOT too picky! Take it back to them and have them make it right. Overspray is unacceptable IMHO.

DON'T use an SOS pad on those plastic Chrome Clad wheels either! You'll never get the scratches out. I'd have them trade out my wheels for a new set without overspray on them.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

I am going to speak to the manager of the dealer that is close to me. When I picked up my truck I drove three hours to get it however I did look at it and addressed the issues before I picked it up,...

The day that I picked it up it wasn't even waxed... They washed it and again there was the overspray on the rims. The owner of the dealership came out and apologized and began to clean them.... I will be speaking to the dealer when I pull my truck out in May however I will be contacting the original dealer that sold me the truck...

I think that if you pay for something it should be the way you want it however with that said I am very happy with my truck and the service that I have received.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 dodge ram
Trim Level: Single cab short bed
Color: Vader Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:48
Dodge891 is on a distinguished road

Thats pretty interesting to know I have a few people who may wanna know that
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:10
Triton189 is on a distinguished road

I knew these were Chrome Clad and I am actually glad they are...! Now if they looked bad that is another story. I just traded an "07" Chevy Avalanche that had 20" chrome rims. They were shot within 2 years as the road salt here in Ohio tore them up. Couldn't figure out why my tires were going flat. The tire dealer one day takes the entire tire off the rim and shows me the corrosion on the inner wall preventing the tires from sealing properly. He buffed a lot of it out but said if I hit a hard bump it could go flat again. He indicated in Ohio or other areas were there is road salt you have to wipe them down or clean them every time out or they won't last. Sorry that is too much work....! I can't tell they are not chrome until you clean them.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Color: Grey Metallic
Rep:46
ICBM RAM is on a distinguished road

i picked up my 2012 sport in january & had no idea they were "chrome clad" rims,obviously because i didnt realize what '"chrome clad" actually meant lol so after only taking my new ram to the carwash since day 1, today was nice enough to finally wash it by hand,thats when i realized what "chrome clad" meant! needless to say i was very suprised about the plastic chrome covers. at first i was pissed,then i thought about it and figured its probably better off,that they wouldnt wear as bad as the real chrome would, considering it was plastic,with no pitting or staining,& easier to clean.they dont look bad either,i just cant tell my friends they're actually hubcaps. so after my initial shock wore off and i accepted the fact they were "chrome clad" i had to look for this thread,because i knew it would be here lol i just dont understand how these plastic covered hubcap rims could sell for anywhere from $250-$450 a piece.

now, my dilemma...ive always liked the simple 5 spoke design,with my last truck being a jeep srt8. i think the design is simple,aggressive & yet not too blingy like most aftermarket rims, and looks good on a truck.ever since ive picked up the ram sport i was thinking of getting the stock 22" 5 spoke rt rims which are similar to stock sport rims but they arent cheap, and was wondering if they too are "chrome clad"? if so, it might sway me not to get them. my second choice are the 22" ram srt rims,but i'd rather not put srt rims on a sport since it isnt an srt, unless i get them in black matte,but then i'm afraid of the black peeling off in spots which ive already seen.or i can just get them in the grey color since i have the grey metallic sport... what to do....
Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: 1500 Express
Color: Black
Rep:54
shostopper17 will become famous soon enough

hell cheaper and easier to clean and minus us ram guys a loto f peolpe dontk now the diffrence here are my chrome "plastic " rims lol

Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Color: Silver
RamManCan is on a distinguished road

I knew they were chrome clad, and I knew what it meant. Everybody does it now, however, Ford at least uses a metal or tin chrome cladding, holds up a little better. I have found after 2 years that the plastic has started to flake and get hazy, (which doesn't happen with the Fords at work) they still look good but for how long? I'm sure that the aftermarket will address this problem in the future by providing a way to replace the cladding.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Black1 is on a distinguished road

Tires are bigger (wider) and there is a premium for that. Not all $400 went to the rims. Prolly half.