DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Silverado to trade soon!
Rep:10
lbre75 is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration from rear of truck

Just wanted to ask if anyone with an 11' Outdoorsman 4x4 crew or even other trims of 4x4 crew have noticed any weird vibrations from the rear of the truck while at speed. My issues start from around 55mph all the way up to over 70mph. I feel a slight constant bounce or vibration and have had my tires balanced to no avail. I do realize after reading that the Outdoorsman is slightly lifted more than the other trims and I wonder of that has anything to do with this issue. My truck has a severe rake from the back to front. I had the tires moved from front to rear as well and the problem still occurs. I thought that maybe the driveshaft could be the problem too, but not sure. This may just be how the ride is supposed to be with a 4x4, but my JK Wrangler Rubi never felt like this and it was 4x4 of course. It doesn't matter if you are on a new paved road or an old beat up road(which you can't tell the difference anyway) it is always the same.
I feel this in my seat and when I lie my hand on the center console. Heck a bottle of water in the cupholder really shows it well! Thinking of going to the dealership and driving another truck to see if it feels the same as mine too. One person on the forum had a post that stated how much better the ride is with a load in the bed. I am thinking of trying that too to see if it may make a difference. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by lbre75; 11-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
EODtruck is on a distinguished road

My Laramie, which has all the options of the Outdoorsman, 4x4, does not do what you describe. Smooth, no wandering, load, no load, any speed. I would defenitley test drive another and/or take yours into the dealer! Something must be wrong.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
erm

It took a bit of time, labor and parts to dig this out on my truck. I had a driveline intermediate carrier bearing, rear u-joint and rear pinion seal replaced. Still bouncin'....

My problem was finally isolated to the tires even though several standard spin balances were done. I had a way out of spec tire on the back, which was replaced. The diagnostic was a road force balance, which isolated the source of the bounce and vibration.

How did I know to get a road force balance? I put a set of stock wheels and tires on the truck that had been checked with a road force balance and the truck ran as smooth as glass. (it was ugly lookin', though )

Now it's all good. So see if you have a tire and wheel shop in the area that can do a road force balance.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Green
Rep:24
articcatbill is on a distinguished road

I agree with Maddog get them to take the tires to a shop with a hunter road force balancer. Not on my truck but my wifes 2009 subaru forester exact same problem. Standard balance did not cut it still had the vibration. The dealer took off all 4 tires ran them to a shop with the hunter road force balancer and problem solved. In ours they actually did not have to replace a tire, it just needed balanced correctly. A standard machine just didn't cut it.

It is at least worth having them do it to help diagnose the problem. It is an easy fix if that is the problem.

I have an 2011 outdoorsman (quad not crew) 4x4, no vibration, wander, with or without load. Just a dang noisy Torque Converter......which BTW does produce a vibration you can feel in the gas pedal....
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 slt crewcab
Trim Level: slt 4x4 crew
Color: deep cherry red
JoeBlow is on a distinguished road

I agree, very well could be a tire issue. Years ago, soon after putting new tires on a car, it developed a rough vibration between 15-25mph. Took it to multiple mechanics. Two told me that the rear end had to be replaced, another mechanic I trusted checked everything, wheel bearing, the rear, etc., and still couldn't figure it out. Told me to just drive it until it got worse. Well. to make a long story short, 30k miles later I had to replace the worn tires and the car was back to running like new. Wish I could of figured it out sooner.