DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:44
wigbill98 is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight Painting Write up!!! *LARGE PICS*

Ok guys finally I am sitting down and getting this done. First off thank you for all of the GREAT comments from you guys on my new look.

Started off getting the headlights out of the truck, baked my lights apart just like guys have before so going into detail about that really I feel is unnecessary.
Here is everything taken apart before cleaned.

After that pulled my projectors out and just set them to the side for the reinstall.

I pulled the amber corners out and ended up putting 2 coats of Nite Shades on them.

Took 600-grit sand paper and sanded ALL of the chrome to scuff everything for the Primer to Bond!! After scuffed I used some acetone to remove any dust or gunk that was on the surface.

I bought Duplicolor Etching Primer and put 2 coats on everything!

I didn't worry about taping inside the headlight housing because who cares if you get overspray on the black part because no one see's it!

I then started with the painting process, I used Duplicolor Perfect match paint. It was a Dark Gray Metallic "Ford" color. Yes I did say Ford but I thought it would look the best.

It was nice because I had 4 pieces to work on, so I just kept on going round and round with each piece. Worked out great!

If I would get to a piece that I was working on and it was still wet I would just hold it up to the Antique Natural Gas garage heater and it would dry it almost instantly! It was a life saver and really shortened up my overall time for this job!! Plus it kept me warm because this is when I started getting really sick!!!

After all was dry, I reinstalled my Projectors in the housing, put the housing back in the truck with the front part off so I could get the Level to match perfectly,

What I didn't say is I parked my truck outside my garage and setup some plywood and a old box springs and traced out my light so I could get them level again and didn't move my truck till it was done!

After I got them lined up where I was happy I put the headlights back together just using silicone, so if in the future I can bake them apart easily!

These projectors are the coke bottle style so I have done NO cutting or trimming of my headlights. I just stuck the end through the hole and screwed the nut on the back side of the Projectors. I then filled around the projector with silicone so the projector would not want to move at all, this way they will both stay level for as long as I want them to!

During the curing time of the headlights I figured while I have Nite shades I might as well do the tails too! I did the full 3 coats with 5 coats of clear, then wetsanded and buffed them out!!!

Here is the final deal!

There is a big douche bag taking the pics! lol. Yea I looked and felt like shit there!

and yes I have done the 3rd brake light since I took this!!

Overall A LOT easier than I expected!

Enjoy!
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:386
old hot rod is just really niceold hot rod is just really niceold hot rod is just really niceold hot rod is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to old hot rod

Great Post, you made it look easy
Great looking on stock headlights!!!
DiabloSport Catch Can (C-1040)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Great job and write up, reps for ya !
Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

That looks kick @$$. Great write up! Rep points for that!!

BTW, what do you mean by "coke bottle" projectors?? Can you post a link so I can see? I want to do projectors in my rig, but don't want to have to MAJORLY alter the stock reflector... Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM

What I mean by the coke bottle, is the back of the projector where the bulb goes in looks just like the top of a coke bottle. You can just stick the end through your existing hole for your stock headlamp and just thread the nut on the back side. So there is absolutely NO altering of the headlight assembly.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

That is the kit that I got. Let me find a better pic of the actual projector...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

There is the projector with the kit. If you look at the far right pic of the projector you can see what I am talking about. The stuff on the end of the projector where the light goes in, that stuff comes off. So you pull the nut off, stick it through your headlight, and screw the nut back on! and you have projectors!!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

Cool!! So do you have control of aiming and whatnot? Well, I guess the aiming would be incorporated into the stock reflector housing, yes? Looks like my projector retrofit MAY happen after all... My other question would be, with that much hanging out into the headlamp housing, how sturdy is it. I know the glass on those things is kind of heavy for as small as it is. Do you get "wobble" or bounce to the beams going over rough road??
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 PM

The big issue with aiming is trying to get them straight and level with each other which is why I put them in the truck with the clear part off so I can just grab the projector and turn it. You have to be sure and tighten the nut on the projector as much as you can. And thats also why I put the silicone around it so it will help it not to rotate.

Yes the stock vertical adjustment still works fine with the projectors.

They aren't REAL heavy, so I don't see any bounce, but I am sure there is some but nothing noticeable. Its nothing like when you see a car with a loose headlight.