DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Millerlite is on a distinguished road
Default Gurgling noise

let me explain my truck first, its a 02 1500 regular cab short bed, 5.9 with a 4speed auto, the trucks is 4x4 and has 3.92 gears.

now the noise started about a month and a half ago, and i havent had time to look at it but it sounds like a gurgling noise coming from the rear of the truck. The noise only happens when i let off the gas and there is drag being put on the engine. when im doing 30 and i let off the gas it makes the noise and it happens all the way up to me doing 70 and letting off the gas.

i took it to a dodge dealer and they said it was the ring and pinion in the rear diff going out, and i am on borrowed time. and 2000 is the estimate to fix. 8-O

has anyone had this problem before?

Also there is a whining noise that sounds like it is in the front end but that noise only happens when i turn left or right and give it a little gas. could these to be connected?

Any info will help because paying 2000 at a dealer to fix this is crazy.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Gurgling in the rear end ?
The only thing that would gurgle would be your radiator & climate control system, like the heater, if it had air in the system

If there were any chance of it being the rear end, it would mean that it is not venting out the tube, but i doubt that you would here it in the cab

the front end noise is different matter, but i would take it to an 4X4 alignment shop, not the dealership
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Millerlite is on a distinguished road

but would the gurgling noise come from letting off the gas pedal?