DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough
Default Shift cable adjustment.......

Hey guys, long story short I am in the middle of replacing my heater core and have the dash and steering column out of my truck. I am taking a few hours break until my wife gets home to look after my 5 year old helper whose attention span ran out at 2:00.

Anyway, when I pulled the steering column out I tried to disconnect the shift cable near the spring and clips. I tried various ways and finally removed the bracket and disconnected it up at the lever itself. Why I did this? I have no idea, same reason I pulled the whole dash out rather then tilting it back. Actually I pulled everything out because its easier then nitpicking screws and bolts, plus I like room when I work. Anyway I know it will be out of adjustment when I get everything back together. Any ideas on how to adjust it? I appreciate all comments and ideas.

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 11-13-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

I suspect that if you put it all back together, it will be OK. But just what kind of truck do you have? If it's a 2002, then it can't be a 4.7L. They didn't come along until 2003. And the linkage would be different.

In any event, if it starts in Park and Neutral (and not in Drive or Reverse), the linkage adjustment is OK.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks TE, I got it all back together they way I thought it was originally and have about 200 miles on it since I put it all back together and everything seems fine. It is a 2002 with the 4.7 liter. The 4.7 existed in 02, it was between that and the 5.9 for the V8s. The Hemi didnt come along until 2003.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

So do you have a Dakota then? The 4.7L was offered in the Dakota in 2002 MY, but not in the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. The 1500 model only came with the 5.9L V8, 8.0L V10, or 5.9L Cummins diesel engine.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
So do you have a Dakota then?

Its a Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
The 4.7L was offered in the Dakota in 2002 MY, but not in the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. The 1500 model only came with the 5.9L V8, 8.0L V10, or 5.9L Cummins diesel engine.

Its a 2002 Ram, with:

My intent is not to argue or anything like that. I know the 02 4.7 liter in a Ram exists because I have one, and I know there are more. Im sorry the pics are fuzzy nighttime, cell phone pics but I didnt have much to work with at work. I also appreciate you helping with my issue in my original post.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM

This is kinda confusing, because our official releases say we didn't build a 4.7L Ram 1500 in 2002 MY. Unfortunately our Internet access at work blocks all pictures from photo sharing sites, so I can't see any of the pics you posted! Could you give me your VIN (last 8 digits) and let me check our records to see what they say about your particular truck?

I'm not wanting to argue either.... just trying to figure out why our production specs don't show a 4.7L that year!! Thanks....
Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM

2G199160 is the last 8 of the VIN.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM

You are right - my mistake! I was looking up info under our body code "BR". This was the 2001 pickup body code. In 2002, we apparently introduced the new 1500 truck (body code DR), but BR was still used for the 2500/3500 trucks. I didn't remember that we had both BR and DR body codes in 2002. In 2003, all the pickups became DR models.

So sorry for my screw-up here! You are correct - 2002 1500 models did come with the 4.7L engine. Thanks for setting me straight!

I always get better information when I use the proper inputs (like the correct body code!).
Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM

On that note, maybe you can answer a question I have always wondered about. I dont know about Chevrolet but I do know that on Ford and Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, they are always a year behind a new design introduction. Why is that?

Oh, I could have told you about the "DR" code, there were stickers everywhere under the dash with that code all over it lol.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII View Post
On that note, maybe you can answer a question I have always wondered about. I dont know about Chevrolet but I do know that on Ford and Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, they are always a year behind a new design introduction. Why is that?
I'm not sure. We did the same thing again in 2009 / 2010 when we introduced the DS in 2009, but didn't upgrade the 2500/3500 trucks until 2010 MY.

I suspect this is done to keep a more manageable workload, by spreading the light duty and heavy duty launches over two years (instead of doing them both at once). There are probably other considerations as well, but I'd think this would be the primary reason.