DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Black Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
hyperlitejacko is on a distinguished road
Default Mufflex 18" and BT Catch can installed, Y-pipe denied

I got my Billet Tech catch can installed this weekend.

The installation was super easy. Take the air intake pipe off by unscrewing to loosen the clamp on each end. Disconnect the sensor harness on the air pipe. Pop the engine cover up and then pull it out.
Locate the hole on the engine to attach the Z bracket. Put the bracket up to the hole to see if you need to disconnect the harness attached to the engine right to the left of the hole. (I just mounted the catch can a little crooked).
Disconnect the current hose, just by pulling on them straight outward. Seemed hard at first but I was too gentle. Once I got them started they popped right off.
Mount the Z bracket with the bolt provided.
Mount the Catch Can on the Z bracket.
Lube the end of the new pvc hoses that go on the truck nipples.
Push those on the truck nipples. (mine only went on about 1/2 inch)
Put the hoses up to the catch can nipples and mark where to cut.
Cut the hoses and then put those on catch can, they slide on easy.
Tighten the engine and z bracket bolt.
Put the engine cover on and reinstall the air intake.

Since I had the engine cover off, I painted it. One light coat of plastic primer and then 2 coats of plastic paint. I put the punisher on it and turned out really good, but it's pushed up under the front panel so you can't see it.

Then I took it to the custom muffler shop to install my 18" mufflex kit and Y-Pipe.
He was not interested in installing the Y-pipe because it is not a direct weld in. He stated and I under-assumed how much pipe forward of the Y that would have to be custom made in order for about a foot after the cat and the Y pipes to match up. I know it can be done and he could do it, but he plenty of other business and copped out by saying it would mess with the emmisions and void the cat warranties. I took his word for it, cause if I would have pushed him he would charge me a fortune. But he didn't mind charging me $75 to swap the muffler. So now I'm left with a Y pipe. Should I sell it or wait to find someone willing to custom make the pipes?
As far as the changes from the simple muffler swap. I'll post tonight when I pick it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CatchCan.jpg (36.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (83.8 KB, 97 views)
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

One member did a post about installing their Y pipe, several pix
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....nstalling+pipe

I have also seen other member posted pix on another thread in here
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 PM
erm

I'd still get it done and go to another shop.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:50 PM

GTYankee, I printed that thread out and took it to the shop. I just didn't pay close enough attention to all the bends and welds it looks like FDBDW did. I know the shop I took it to "can" do it, they made a custom system for me a few years ago and they are well known to do things like this. They just did not "want" to do this job. I feel a shop that wants to do a custom job will give me better quality than someone trying to get out of the job.
I'm saving the pipe and going to look around
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM

That being said, I fired it up with the remote start. Nice deeper mellow sound. The wife was sitting there ready to nag at it, but she actually liked it and said it wasn't too bad. (She is really fond of her sleep and I leave for the gym at 5am. She did not want something that will wake her up). So the start up and idle was a nice mellow upgrade from stock. I figure that's at least what a HEMI should sound like at idle.

Getting in and taking off, I had the kids and the weather was bad so I don't have a full report yet. It is significantly louder in the cab under acceleration. Getting on it never reaches what I would call too loud. This is my daily driver, in a neighborhood, wife and 2 really young kids. I'd say this is a perfect mellow upgrade. The only thing that might get on my nerves is, it is a bit louder in the cab under acceleration. When I'm by myself, with my kids, or the wife after she has had a few drinks, it is perfect. But if the wife is trying to have a nice conversation on the way out for dinner, she is going to have to speak up. But, given what I know about this, I would not go down to a 24". There are times when I thought, that's all the louder it got.
I will report more after a full commute tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1337
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Looks good man! I think you should still get that Y pipe installed.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I installed the 24" Mufflex and was pleasantly surprised to discover it is no louder than my OEM exhaust, but it's a lower note. I absolutely love it! Not one neighbor has complained, but rather many have commented on how good it sounds. The lower frequency does make it's way into the cab though, and when pulling a heavy trailer I am continually reminded that I no long have my stock exhaust.

I have sometimes wondered if the 18" would have been a better choice, but until I can ditch the trailer, I think I will stick with the 24.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlitejacko View Post
I got my Billet Tech catch can installed this weekend.

The installation was super easy. Take the air intake pipe off by unscrewing to loosen the clamp on each end. Disconnect the sensor harness on the air pipe. Pop the engine cover up and then pull it out.
Locate the hole on the engine to attach the Z bracket. Put the bracket up to the hole to see if you need to disconnect the harness attached to the engine right to the left of the hole. (I just mounted the catch can a little crooked).
Disconnect the current hose, just by pulling on them straight outward. Seemed hard at first but I was too gentle. Once I got them started they popped right off.
Mount the Z bracket with the bolt provided.
Mount the Catch Can on the Z bracket.
Lube the end of the new pvc hoses that go on the truck nipples.
Push those on the truck nipples. (mine only went on about 1/2 inch)
Put the hoses up to the catch can nipples and mark where to cut.
Cut the hoses and then put those on catch can, they slide on easy.
Tighten the engine and z bracket bolt.
Put the engine cover on and reinstall the air intake.

Since I had the engine cover off, I painted it. One light coat of plastic primer and then 2 coats of plastic paint. I put the punisher on it and turned out really good, but it's pushed up under the front panel so you can't see it.

Then I took it to the custom muffler shop to install my 18" mufflex kit and Y-Pipe.
He was not interested in installing the Y-pipe because it is not a direct weld in. He stated and I under-assumed how much pipe forward of the Y that would have to be custom made in order for about a foot after the cat and the Y pipes to match up. I know it can be done and he could do it, but he plenty of other business and copped out by saying it would mess with the emmisions and void the cat warranties. I took his word for it, cause if I would have pushed him he would charge me a fortune. But he didn't mind charging me $75 to swap the muffler. So now I'm left with a Y pipe. Should I sell it or wait to find someone willing to custom make the pipes?
As far as the changes from the simple muffler swap. I'll post tonight when I pick it up.
Looks very nice! (If you can say that about a cover with the Punisher on it!)

How did you mask the Hemi lettering? Since they're raised as high as they are (and tapered a bit), getting masking tape in all the tight spots seems a chore. Any tricks?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks
I used the blue painters tape. The top, side of the H, and bottom masking was an easy straight line. I just cut a couple of strips for the inside of the H. because they are square, that was pretty easy. For between the letters, I cut thin strips longer than they needed to be, that way it was easier to line them up. In between the E and the 8 was the the hardest. I just rolled up some tape like a snake and just stuffed it in there for the E and little balls for the 8 and just jammed it in there. For some of the others like the sides of the 8 and the M. I laid the tape on top and took and exacto knife to cut right along the side. Then just pressed it down. It just took a little time and patience.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Ok, so the commute to work.
Started it up - Love the deeper mellow sound
Acceleration on the road - Good deep sound like I think a Hemi should be right from the shop.
Not accelerating / cruise - I can't really tell much of a difference from stock. NO DRONE at all

So my report would be what is different from stock
Start up and Idle - nice deeper mellow tone - not loud
Acceleration - nice deeper mellow tone, louder than stock inside cab and out, but not that much. It was kinda what I was hoping for right off the showroom floor.
Cruise - can't tell a difference from stock. No Drone.