DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 ram 2500 pick up
Trim Level: SLT Larmie
Color: Charcoal Grey Met
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Glenn G is on a distinguished road
Default Engine backfiring after 2 minutes of driving

My 2002 Ram 2500 has a 5.9"Z"(360). I'll start the truck, drive about 2-3 minutes or approximatle1-2 miles and all of a suddon it will act like it's running out of gas. If you play with the throttle pedal, it will actually pop or backfire through the throttle body. After say 10-15 seconds, it will go back to driving like normal. Now, it only does this first thing in the morning. Anytime after that, it won't act up. I replaced the throttle position sensor & the air charge temp sensor about 2 months ago & the problem went away.(parts purchased at NAPA) Now this morning, the problem is back. I'm wondering if one of the parts is bad, or if it's something else. Thanks to everyone on the forum-your help is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

i have a 5.2 and it does this first thing in the morning. if i punch it, i can get it to go away in about 10 seconds, or just the length of my road. its not to the point where im concerned, but its something id like to know more about as well
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Any check engine lights?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM

double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

none. hasnt thrown code for anything
Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

well that makes it hard to diagnose then lol. Could be an O2 sensor going bad, or something to do with timing, but I can't recommend anything, might as well just throw $20 bills at it lol.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:34 PM

exactly why i wrote it off. it hasnt harmed the motor at all, i can get it to go away with minimal effort. i know its not an 02 sensor cause i had a new one seated in when i installed my straight pipes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
exactly why i wrote it off. it hasnt harmed the motor at all, i can get it to go away with minimal effort. i know its not an 02 sensor cause i had a new one seated in when i installed my straight pipes
O2 sensors can get bad readings if they are too close to the exhaust exit (like within 2 feet). If you dumped your exhaust under the truck, or have a leak near the O2 sensors it could be part of the issue. I'm not real familiar with the O2 setup on your truck though.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM

my engine was doing this before i did my exhaust system, with my old 02 sensor and the new setup. my new o2 sensor is in the exact same spot as factory, near where the collector 'collects', just down from there actually. minus the larger diameter piping, theres no difference. theres no welds in that near area for leaks other than the o2 seat. i also am under the impression that if this was an o2 sensor issue, it would deff throw a code. im going to rule out the o2 sensor.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Doesn't sound like that's your issue, but FYI it won't always throw a code. We put headers on a friends camaro and drove it a few miles basically at idle to an exhaust shop, and afterwards it wouldn't idle and ran poorly, no lights though. We replaced the O2's and it ran perfect.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM

hmm i guess i didnt know that. always assumed.