DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > LD RAM > LD RAM - General Discussion

Notices

LD RAM - General Discussion RAM 1500 General Chat. Please post your tech questions in the HELP Zone!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
FGT Motorsport
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!
FGT Motorsport

Old 12-06-2016, 08:54 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:725
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation EcoDiesel and 8 Speed Hemi Owners!!

I read about this in a Truck Trend ad a little over a year ago and have been checking their site every once in a while since, but just noticed it there tonight. I know a lot of you like aftermarket aluminum finned covers for diffs, and transmissions-what are your thoughts?

I am still looking for the filter to see what it costs and how good it is at filtering. I know they Y-pipe runs right under the transmission, I wonder if it would interfere?

http://www.pacificp.com/store/index....roducts_id=695

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 dodge bighorn 1500 hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: MAXIMUM STEEL
Rep:736
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

what do you think of the pan?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 PM

Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

When I change the transmission fluid I will have to replace the pan. The OEM pan has the filter built in so this leaves me with 3 options:

Replace the OEM with an OEM pan which will require me to replace it again when I change the fluid again. Its fairly expensive so I will probably not go this route.

Go with the ATP pan like ArmyOfOne did. While its more expensive than it was when he bought it it is of similar dimensions and construction to the OEM pan, but has replaceable filters. I am kind of leaning this way.

The PPE pan. I like this pan, though I question the benefit of an aluminum pan over a plastic one, but I have 2 concerns currently. 1) I can't find where they sell or link to where they sell the replacement filters. 2) The Y-pipe crosses under the transmission pan, so I am concerned that it will not fit without a custom Y pipe. PPE is a diesel performance company and I don't think the EcoDiesel has a y pipe crossing under the transmission pan so IDK that they took this into consideration.

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 2016 dodge bighorn 1500 hemi
Color: MAXIMUM STEEL
Rep:736
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

my first thought is the y pipe will limit the cooling benefit of the aluminum. i' not worried about the trans change, though. its about 5 or 6 years away for me, and thats if i change at 75 to 80000 miles.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:55
RaceHillFarms will become famous soon enough

Not the eight speed but I put a PML transmission pan on my 2008 Ram and had to have a muffler shop lengthen the pipes coming off my Edelbrock headers to clear the new transmission pan. I also had the magnaflow "Y" pipe welded in place of the stock "Y" pipe.
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4 6.4 Hemi, Fuel Full Blown 18x9 +1 offset rims, Toyo Open Country A/T II 295/70R18 tires, Bushwacker pocket flares, Centramatic balancers, Motorsport Tech Hub Centric Rings, Mufflex Magnaflow muffler, 3M Crystalline 40% window tint, Mopar tube steps, Weathertech mats.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:35
reefer451 is on a distinguished road

I question the benefits of the aluminum pan and cooling fins. Ram is running a heat exchanger between engine coolant and the trans. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if they are running the trans fluid into the radiator or running coolant into the trans but however it's plumbed, it's set up to warm the trans fluid when it's cold and cool it when it's hot. Seems to me like the aluminum pan and fins will just be fighting this system. Might run a little cooler under extreme conditions but not doing anything productive the rest of the time.

Also the extra capacity may be good if you're really working it hard, towing a big trailer, but with the high cost of fluid that makes the change even more expensive.

The aforementioned exhaust interference would be a deal killer to me.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer451 View Post
I question the benefits of the aluminum pan and cooling fins. Ram is running a heat exchanger between engine coolant and the trans. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if they are running the trans fluid into the radiator or running coolant into the trans but however it's plumbed, it's set up to warm the trans fluid when it's cold and cool it when it's hot. Seems to me like the aluminum pan and fins will just be fighting this system. Might run a little cooler under extreme conditions but not doing anything productive the rest of the time.

Also the extra capacity may be good if you're really working it hard, towing a big trailer, but with the high cost of fluid that makes the change even more expensive.

The aforementioned exhaust interference would be a deal killer to me.

Yeah it would just make it take longer to get to temp.

It looks though like the deep part is the part that would hang in front of the exhaust looking at the underside of my truck, so as long as the shallow end of the PPE pan isn't (much) deeper than the stock pan it should clear fine.

So now my reservation becomes the lack of a filter source.

Thunderhorse:
Colt:
Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: '09 Ram 1500/'16 Ram Ecodiesel
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl, both trucks !!
Rep:2836
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that Shawn made a youtube video or 2 about transmission pan, i don't know if he did any on the replacement transmission pan

2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, EGR bug deflector

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-08-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: '09 Ram 1500/'16 Ram Ecodiesel
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl, both trucks !!
Rep:2836
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I found the aftermarket video about the pan

sorry he talks about it, but doesn't show it

2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, EGR bug deflector

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-08-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
TxSeawolf is on a distinguished road

I question the availability or lack thereof with the filters. It looks sharp but who really looks at your transmission oan? The lack of easily obtainable filters will frustrate and potentially eliminate slight performance increase. So unless your applications are causing abnormal temps in your existing tranny then i would go with Army of One.

Hope it helps