DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road
Default Highway vibration above 70mph..probably a balancing problem???

So...like a good newbie forum member, I did an extensive search, and I'm thinking I have a balancing problem with my 2011 Ram Quad Cab Sport based upon other forum member threads.

Took delivery a 2-3 weeks ago with maybe 3 miles on the truck from a dealer that is probably an hour and half away from my house. It wasn't until I got the truck above 70mph that I started to feel a little vibration. It's nothing drastic, but not smooth as glass like the lower speeds. At first I was thinking maybe it's the exhaust rumble, or the eco kicking in which has that different sound to the motor. Now after reading other threads, I'm guessing it's the Badyear HP's or the balancing that's off.

My question is this: thinking of getting them balanced to see if that cures the problem like many other forum members posted about. Should I ask the dealer to do it, and if I do will they cover this balancing under warranty because of this slight vibration above 65-70mph?

Or, should I just pony up the coin to Goodyear and have them do it. As I mentioned before my dealer is about an hour plus away so not only would I have to select a local dealer who didn't sell me the truck, but take my chances with a dealer. There are good dealers with good service managers and technicians, and there are bad ones that people get so upset with they drive their truck through the glass window out of frustration.

I'm not so concerned about the cost out of pocket (other than the principle of the matter), but getting it resolve right possible the first time. By the way...Goodyear Auto Service Center a couple blocks from my office which makes it's kinda convenient.

Thanks for the feedback in advance....
-Dog-
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
erm

I had a similar problem...a MPH related vibration. The dealer replaced the driveshaft intermediate carrier bearing, the rear u-joint and the input bearing on the rear diff.

No change....

Had the tires balanced...

No change...

Swapped over a set of stock wheels and tires...Dang truck ran smooth as glass...

Had the tires and wheels road force balanced...found a seriously out of spec tire...replace tire...Dang truck ran smooth as glass...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
turbo dragon is on a distinguished road

this is good to know cause Im haveing the same problem, so in the end it was just a bad tire?, cause Ive already had it balanced one time and Ive only had it a week lol
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Ram1500SCC is on a distinguished road

I had/have the same problem. Had it rebalanced and rebalanced. It we be better and then I rotated the tires and it was awful again. Now Ihave 18K miles and the dealership says I have a bad tire. Chrysler doesn't cover the tires and they say goodyear won't because it too old. Not sure why Chrysler keeps these crappy tires. I'd try Goodyear and ask for a brand new tire.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo dragon View Post
this is good to know cause Im haveing the same problem, so in the end it was just a bad tire?, cause Ive already had it balanced one time and Ive only had it a week lol
You re-balanced all yours or just one tire? I've had my Ram about 3 weeks now, and up to 700 miles. This truck rides so smooth that sometimes I think I'm being picky, but I'm paying close attention for sure.

I just though of something else driving home tonight. The dealer I bought this truck from is a Nitrofill authorized dealer. Inside the truck where your normally see a oil change sticker is a Nitrofill emblem/sticker, and they put some fancy valve stem chrome caps. I'm wonder if they drained the factory air, and the refilled with supposedly Nitrogen, and messed up the balancing from the factory? It may be slight, but maybe that's what I'm feeling?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram1500SCC View Post
I had/have the same problem. Had it rebalanced and rebalanced. It we be better and then I rotated the tires and it was awful again. Now Ihave 18K miles and the dealership says I have a bad tire. Chrysler doesn't cover the tires and they say goodyear won't because it too old. Not sure why Chrysler keeps these crappy tires. I'd try Goodyear and ask for a brand new tire.
I'm suspecting that too....experience with Badyear hasn't been good in the past. My Goodyear Eagle F1 run flats on the Corvette have good, but wouldn't hesitate to buy outside the Goodyear brand when the times comes to replace them.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

is the vibration in the whole truck or just the steering wheel? trying to pinpoint the problem would be better than just messing with all the tires and ending up with more problems.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I would have the whole set road force balanced (try to get the dealer to do it) and see if that helps. It will also tell you if you have a tire that is far off balance. Even if you do it outside out of pocket it should be less than $100.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
turbo dragon is on a distinguished road

im not sure if they balances all 4 tires or not, but i know they told the wife that they had to put more weight on the driver side rear, its hard to tell exactly where the vibration is coming from, sometimes it feels like its the rear but the steering wheel also vibrates a little
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMILANCER View Post
is the vibration in the whole truck or just the steering wheel? trying to pinpoint the problem would be better than just messing with all the tires and ending up with more problems.
This morning I was really paying close attention on the highway where this vibration might be coming from. I think I'm feeling it in the steering wheel, but it's not enough to shake the steering wheel as if you tossed a wheel weight or something. Like a tuning fork, feels like it's coming from the steering wheel which would indicated up front I suppose.

I looked into that Road Force Balancing as suggested, and my dealer doesn't appear to be on that list which isn't that big of a deal since they are over and hour away from my house. But 10 miles down the road is a dealer that does have it.

I think I'm gonna be going there, introducing myself as a new service customer, and look into balancing the front tires via Road Force Balancing, and get this documents while I only have 700 miles on the truck.

I read in one of the forum threads, there was a TSB about flat spotted tires doing the same thing as if they needed balance which occurred during transport of the truck, or sitting on the lot for a long period of time at the dealer. I'll try and find the post and link it that thread here but it basically said around 60mph and above (that's me), vibration starts occurring. Once diagnosed as a flat spotted set of tires, contact Mopar about replacement authorization. That was a 2009 TSB so not sure if they manufactured them different now or what.

Thanks for the the input guys...much appreciated.