DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

if it is up front i would rotate them and see what happens. if it goes away then you can just have the rear balanced at your leisure. if it still shakes then all 4 need to be done. i'm a firm believer that if it aint broke dont fix it. adding human error to the equation can really ruin your new truck experience, having as much control over the situation as possible will minimize those chances.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
turbo dragon is on a distinguished road

OK now Im getting mad, I took it back to the dealer yesterday and they looked at the tires again and said that it a tire problem, I said no shit, which was probably a bad thing on my part, and I followed it up by I knew that when the wife brought it up here the first time, and yall rebalanced them and put the rears on the front and told her to drive it 100 miles, he said if they have already done that, then I need to take it to a certified Goodyear dealer that deals with tire warrenty issues, so I called my tire dealer that I always use and they are a goodyear dealer, so I take it by there and they tell me that goodyear is the worst tire company to try and get warrenty work done, and the most they may do is prorate the tires, but they go ahead and check the balance of them and they are fine and pointed out how the tires were wearing wrong, so what do I do now, any ideas
Old 11-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo dragon View Post
OK now Im getting mad, I took it back to the dealer yesterday and they looked at the tires again and said that it a tire problem, I said no shit, which was probably a bad thing on my part, and I followed it up by I knew that when the wife brought it up here the first time, and yall rebalanced them and put the rears on the front and told her to drive it 100 miles, he said if they have already done that, then I need to take it to a certified Goodyear dealer that deals with tire warrenty issues, so I called my tire dealer that I always use and they are a goodyear dealer, so I take it by there and they tell me that goodyear is the worst tire company to try and get warrenty work done, and the most they may do is prorate the tires, but they go ahead and check the balance of them and they are fine and pointed out how the tires were wearing wrong, so what do I do now, any ideas

I haven't had a chance to get mine balanced, but starting to wonder if I'm a torque converter victim instead. Work has been crazy since I posted this thread, and I'm leaving town again on Monday.

I'm probably gonna balance the front tires as suggested by one member first. If that doesn't solve it, I might consider going the Goodyear route next but as I said before....feeling the torque converter debacle is coming my way.

Reason being: I'm noticing it at similar RPM's which is around 1600-1900. In addition, I'm feeling it not only in the steering wheel, but I can feel it in my gas peddle. The steering wheel doesn't wabble around like a tire balance problem...it's almost pretty steady even on the highway. The only way I can describe this vibration is similar to a CD/DVD Drive in a laptop. Once you stick the disc in, and the rpm's start going as it reads the drive it has the consistent droning vibration. That worries me that it's drivetrain...ie: torque converter. I just turned 1k on my new truck....still love it but man....I'm nervous right now.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 QUAD CAB
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Rep:11
BIGAL1903 is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration

i went through all the nonsense with vibrations my dealer was up to doing anything i wanted first they tried tires and wheels off of 3 different trucks which by the way vibrated as bad as mine,they exchanged driveshafts, no help,they finally put a set of michelin latitudes and road forced balance and that took care of the main vibration and then i brought them the star case and they put in the new torque convertor and front pump and it finally took care of the problem by 99% so don't let them give you any s**t there is something wrong with a lot of 2011's out there ,check your build date if it is before may 2011 you probably need a convertor,also everyone i spoke with here with a 2011 has goodyear tire issues. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU,EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT IT JUST TAKES A GOOD DEALER TO WORK WITH
Old 11-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks Big AL....good to hear that some persistence in trying to solve this will go a long way. When I get back in town, I'll start a trying a few things with the dealer. Mine was built was supposedly June 2011, so potentially mine could have been sitting on the dealers lot for 4-5 months on those tires. Took delivery of my truck about a month ago, so I'm thinking there is a chance for flat spotted tires...especially sitting all summer on the lot.

When your dealer replaced the tires, did they reference that TSB from 2009 about flat spotted tires, or did you have to bring your truck to a Goodyear dealer for them to make the determination of defective tires? I'd think it was the dealers responsibility to move the trucks rather than let the sit for a long period of time, but then again if the tire is that soft and susceptible to flat spotting, maybe it's just a bad design or rubber compound.

I'm really stumped, but I have to start doing something soon. Like I mentioned in my post before, just turned 1k miles and it's been this way since day one. Thanks again for the insight....it's a big help.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

I have a question that maybe one of you can answer?
Within the last month I have noticed a different "feel" to the steering wheel. About 2 weeks ago I was driving to work and the feeling from the steering wheel felt like a square bolt turning in a round hole. Hard to explain, really. I guess it could be explained like a "flat spot" on the tires. Not a hard thump or anything, but enough that I could feel it in the steering wheel. I do have 4x4 so was wondering if there is something up with the front axle and/or CV boots.

That has since gone away but now the sensation in the steering wheel is heightened... I can feel everything up thru the steering wheel. The wheel doesn't bounce so I don't suspect a balance issue. What I'm a bit concerned with now is a warped rotor (see one of my other posts about "Poor Gas Economy - EVIC".
The vibration is very slight but it is there. Darned if I can remember if it has always been there!!
My truck has just under 8000 km and was built after April 2011. I've been wondering if I have the issue with the T/C, but I'm not sure what the symptoms are. Can anyone shed light on the T/C issue?

I guess the toughest thing is having the dealership reproduce the problem. Maybe I'll go take a new 1500 out for a test drive, just to see if there is any "noise" in the steering wheel. Has there been any issues with bad ball-joints, tie-rod ends, etc.?

Maybe it's just a bad set of tires?

On a side note: The tire pressure was originally set at 40 psi. A few weeks back, when I had a nail in my tire repaired, the pressure was reset to 35 (36?) psi (door sticker). I'm wondering whether that could play a part in feeling more road noise thru the steering wheel. More tread on road = more noise?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM

BPD:

Sorry I haven't responded sooner....just got back from a family vacation at Disney....Mickey took all my money so I couldn't think straight.

I'm a serious note I have done nothing about my highway vibration. The mild vibration sounds like it could be similar to mine, and I'm probably gonna get told it's normal operation.....uuuggh. It's very slight...and I seem to notice mine above 55 miles per hour. I actually noticed this from day one once I got the truck on the highway so it's tough to say. Yours might have been there, and never noticed it. Takes a while to notice things with different vehicles. Like I said...it's mild. I can't say it's gotten worse, and I'm up to 1100 plus miles since I took delivery.

I think I'm gonna get my front tires RoadForce balanced at some point. I'd like to peel these Badyears off because I'm convinced they are flat spotted, and simply low quality tires. My truck was built in June 2011, and I took delivery of it late October toward the end of the month. Do the math...lotta time sitting on those tires, and in the hot sun. Black tar pavement gets a little hot even in Upstate NY. But....replacing the tires will cost me 1k plus out of pocket, and with Christmas around the corner, and Mickey Mouse having the rest of my money from the trip, I'm kinda hesitant to plunk down some cash for a brand new 42k truck.

Speaking of my dealer, they mailed me a free oil change so maybe after Christmas I'll take the road trip down, get the freebie oil change, and maybe take a 2012 for a ride with my salesman. He's been really great and helpful with some other things so I'm sure he won't mind if I drive a new one that just came in and hasn't been sitting around. That might help me determine if it's normal, or if my tires are flat spotted, or even slightly out of balance up front.

TransEngineer posted that the Torque Converter problem will not create a vibration....just an annoying noise. I'd like to think it's not a TC problem but maybe it's coming down the pike for me yet. That's what I'm dreading the most right now is this what if factor?? For now I'm constantly thinking about it, watching my RPM's, and speeds to see when I'm hearing it to possibly diagnose this problem.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my vibration reminds me of a laptop drive winding up. You put a CD-R or DVD in the drive, and then you get that humming vibration sounds that can be felt underneath the keyboard. I feel this in the steering wheel. Sometimes I think I feel it in the gas peddle, but that could be the rumble of the Hemi...tough to say. Looking at the tachometer, I'm sometimes noticing this around 1800-2100 RPM's. However, that doesn't tell me much because no matter how much faster I go above 60, 65, 70, 75 it definitely gets worse. Not sure if this helps you or not, but I couldn't help to read your other post, and see some similarity to what I'm dealing with too.

Let me ask you this, your truck was built in April 2011....when did you take delivery of it? My truck could have been sitting on it's tires for 4-5 months...that's plenty of time in the hot summer sun if they are prone to flat spotting. However, that TSB might only pertain to 2009. I highly doubt Goodyear changed the tire compound for HP tire, but any tire sitting around for a length of time could probably flat spot. I just don't know...I'm stumped too, but until I get a Ram dealer or Goodyear shop....I'm just venting I guess.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBrownDog View Post
BPD:

Sorry I haven't responded sooner....just got back from a family vacation at Disney....Mickey took all my money so I couldn't think straight.

I'm a serious note I have done nothing about my highway vibration. The mild vibration sounds like it could be similar to mine, and I'm probably gonna get told it's normal operation.....uuuggh. It's very slight...and I seem to notice mine above 55 miles per hour. I actually noticed this from day one once I got the truck on the highway so it's tough to say. Yours might have been there, and never noticed it. Takes a while to notice things with different vehicles. Like I said...it's mild. I can't say it's gotten worse, and I'm up to 1100 plus miles since I took delivery.

I think I'm gonna get my front tires RoadForce balanced at some point. I'd like to peel these Badyears off because I'm convinced they are flat spotted, and simply low quality tires. My truck was built in June 2011, and I took delivery of it late October toward the end of the month. Do the math...lotta time sitting on those tires, and in the hot sun. Black tar pavement gets a little hot even in Upstate NY. But....replacing the tires will cost me 1k plus out of pocket, and with Christmas around the corner, and Mickey Mouse having the rest of my money from the trip, I'm kinda hesitant to plunk down some cash for a brand new 42k truck.

Speaking of my dealer, they mailed me a free oil change so maybe after Christmas I'll take the road trip down, get the freebie oil change, and maybe take a 2012 for a ride with my salesman. He's been really great and helpful with some other things so I'm sure he won't mind if I drive a new one that just came in and hasn't been sitting around. That might help me determine if it's normal, or if my tires are flat spotted, or even slightly out of balance up front.

TransEngineer posted that the Torque Converter problem will not create a vibration....just an annoying noise. I'd like to think it's not a TC problem but maybe it's coming down the pike for me yet. That's what I'm dreading the most right now is this what if factor?? For now I'm constantly thinking about it, watching my RPM's, and speeds to see when I'm hearing it to possibly diagnose this problem.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my vibration reminds me of a laptop drive winding up. You put a CD-R or DVD in the drive, and then you get that humming vibration sounds that can be felt underneath the keyboard. I feel this in the steering wheel. Sometimes I think I feel it in the gas peddle, but that could be the rumble of the Hemi...tough to say. Looking at the tachometer, I'm sometimes noticing this around 1800-2100 RPM's. However, that doesn't tell me much because no matter how much faster I go above 60, 65, 70, 75 it definitely gets worse. Not sure if this helps you or not, but I couldn't help to read your other post, and see some similarity to what I'm dealing with too.

Let me ask you this, your truck was built in April 2011....when did you take delivery of it? My truck could have been sitting on it's tires for 4-5 months...that's plenty of time in the hot summer sun if they are prone to flat spotting. However, that TSB might only pertain to 2009. I highly doubt Goodyear changed the tire compound for HP tire, but any tire sitting around for a length of time could probably flat spot. I just don't know...I'm stumped too, but until I get a Ram dealer or Goodyear shop....I'm just venting I guess.
I picked up my truck June 8th. But, here's where things get sticky:

The dealer had to replace all 4 tires/rims on my truck soon after I took possession, that means the replacement wheels could have been sitting for a period of time. Did not have any vibration in the first few months. Just started recently.
You described the symptoms very well. The "noise" I am feel does feel like a DVD in a player (the turning vibration). Doesn't get worse with speed/rpm though. Does yours?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Yes...mine starts around 50-55 mph, and progresses into much more noticeable vibration into the 70+ mph. Since the motor is still quite new, I'm trying to keep my foot out of accelerate too much, and vary my speeds during what I consider a break in period letting the rings/seals seat in properly.

Granted...this isn't my Corvette, but it sure wasn't cheap for a pickup. This truck can't possibly be designed to have a vibration for highway speeds. If that's considered acceptable, it will be traded for something else. At this point it's tolerable, just annoying. Sad really...42k for a brand new truck and now this?

Again...venting and until I make the effort to try some things it's just air coming out my mouth and it's not gonna solve my problem. I'm buried at work after that long vacation, and I just don't see myself getting the time to deal with this sh*t right now as it's merely annoying...nothing detrimental by any means.

How's that saying go...."time and money can cure just about anything. How much do you have? " Both of them I'm little light on right now....damn Disney World.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

LOL you keep complaining about mickey taking your money, but aren't YOU the one who went to see him!?

I can't stand disney, I live less than probably 10 miles from there, it's a damn circus. I've lived within an hours drive for the past 10 years and have never gone, I went once about 12 or so years ago and you literally stand in line for over an hour for every ride in the florida heat then the ride is 45 seconds...and like you said the prices

Sorry for getting off topic lol.

My truck has a somewhat similar minor vibration, but I have aftermarket wheels and tires. I can't recall it being there when the wheels and tires were stock, although I didn't have it stock very long so it's hard to say...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.