DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
LOL you keep complaining about mickey taking your money, but aren't YOU the one who went to see him!?

I can't stand disney, I live less than probably 10 miles from there, it's a damn circus. I've lived within an hours drive for the past 10 years and have never gone, I went once about 12 or so years ago and you literally stand in line for over an hour for every ride in the florida heat then the ride is 45 seconds...and like you said the prices

Sorry for getting off topic lol.

My truck has a somewhat similar minor vibration, but I have aftermarket wheels and tires. I can't recall it being there when the wheels and tires were stock, although I didn't have it stock very long so it's hard to say...
So true Sean....so true. Mickey didn't put a gun to my head, but what they charge for everything apparently I'm just too dumb to say no. Then again, I have two beautiful daughters who loved every minute of it so it's worth the empty wallet to see them smile the way they did. When your a parent, you do a lot of stupid things in the name of your children, and I'll do it again. LOL!!!!
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Thats funny...

But on a serious note.... And I'm not a big fan of "goodyear"tires, but I have over 33,000 miles on mine and other than they get crappy traction at take-off from a dead start on wet roads, they are smooth, quiet and if they keep wearing like they are (knock on wood) I should get at least 60,000 miles out of them. I think the slight vib you are feeling is the stupid MDS that the newer Hemi's have. I hate the MDS and disable it whenever possible. The star case issue with the TC's and they noise from it which to me feels like a slight vibration is only present in the 1300-1600 RPM range and from about 37- 55 MPH. So I'm hoping that your issues with the vibration over 60 Mph is just the "normal" stupid MDS making its annoying noises. Just some food for thought... I still have a little vib, ie. the star case, but don't really want them messing with my truck and making it worse. I figure there is a 100k miles drivetrain warranty, so if it messes up due to the the TC, they can replace the TC and the tranny and anything else that gets f'd up in the process. Besides I have one of them dumbass dealers that don't really wanna fix it till it becomes a TSB or recall or the whole thing f's up...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:657
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

easy test for the mds vibration, when you feel it, shift out of overdrive and it should disappear if it is the mds vibration.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug713 View Post
Thats funny...

But on a serious note.... And I'm not a big fan of "goodyear"tires, but I have over 33,000 miles on mine and other than they get crappy traction at take-off from a dead start on wet roads, they are smooth, quiet and if they keep wearing like they are (knock on wood) I should get at least 60,000 miles out of them. I think the slight vib you are feeling is the stupid MDS that the newer Hemi's have. I hate the MDS and disable it whenever possible. The star case issue with the TC's and they noise from it which to me feels like a slight vibration is only present in the 1300-1600 RPM range and from about 37- 55 MPH. So I'm hoping that your issues with the vibration over 60 Mph is just the "normal" stupid MDS making its annoying noises. Just some food for thought... I still have a little vib, ie. the star case, but don't really want them messing with my truck and making it worse. I figure there is a 100k miles drivetrain warranty, so if it messes up due to the the TC, they can replace the TC and the tranny and anything else that gets f'd up in the process. Besides I have one of them dumbass dealers that don't really wanna fix it till it becomes a TSB or recall or the whole thing f's up...
I was wondering that too about the MDS so after your post I did a quick search to see how to disable it while driving for testing purpose. Since I have the Sport with the center console, I put the truck in drive, and then toggled with the paddle shift to manual mode so it reflected 5 on the EVIC.

Drove to work this morning, and some of the engine growl obviously went away which I've notice before when the MDS kicks. However, vibration still there. Another thing someone suggested (which I haven't tried as I just remembered as I type this) was tossing the truck into Neutral while up to speed. I can't remember if that eliminate the transmission or TC out of the troubleshooting mix but maybe I'll try that on the way home if traffic isn't too bad. Last thing I want happening is someone rear ending me while I'm troubleshooting.

I might have to agree with you Doug about letting a service technician start tearing stuff apart. Unless something fatally happens I might better leave it alone other than checking the tire balancing. That's a fairly cheap try even if I don't go to a dealer and do it. My cousin use to manage a Bridgestone / Firestone shop for years, so when I see him over the Christmas holiday, I'll pick his brain. All those stores have RoadForce balancing machines which it might be worthy of letting them take a crack at the two front tires. Many forum member have posted brand new tires out of balance both major and minor amounts, and this cured the problem.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 PM

Update:

Hunter Road Force balanced all (4) Goodyear HP's at a local dealer. Good news is that I might have found a local dealer I can use instead of having to go back to dealer I originally purchased the truck. (9 minute drive versus an 1 hour plus drive) Had them change the original factory oil out of the Hemi while there too. Mileage is up to 2100 miles already.

Any ways...balancing was slightly off from the factory, and the tech indicates the tire pressures were much too high. (44 psi) After Road Force balancing it clearly improved the ride of the truck. Didn't notice the rear tires being out of balance until Road Force was done. Fronts only slightly off, but still an improvement there too. Best part....all under warranty from the dealer, and now documented by a Chrysler dealer.

Bad news...that consistent vibration still there minus the balancing issue masking the problem. I'd love to think I could blame the Badyear tires, but I'm no longer going that direction with my theory. Sure...there is a chance that changing the tires could improve it still, but there is something more going on with these trucks. For the past month, I've noticed the RPM range of 1300-1900. Strongest being 1600 rpm to be more prevalent feeling the vibration. I still feel it stronger around 70mph, but also at slower speeds while turning 1600 rpm's. Coincidence???

Do the RPM's tell the whole story pointing to torque converter? I remember TransEngineer posting detail information about turbine hub spline rattle / lash. I'm no engineer, but I can't help to think that if a torque converter can make an annoying howling noise, maybe it can make some vibration too.

Mystery still not solved....
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:10
tstewart6367 is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to kickstart this thread again as I'm experiencing this exact same issue.

I have a new 2012 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and I have the same vibration at speeds between 45-70 and is most noticeable at 70.
My dealer gave me the old story of "flat spots" and wanted me to drive the thing until it's first oil change as they would some how disappear.
I would not accept that and they agreed to road force balance all four tires. That made no difference.
They agreed to put on a set of new Michelin's and road force balance, and that made no difference. So that ruled out there theory of flat spots and bad Goodyear HP's!
I'm now waiting on the Chrysler rep to give me an answer on their next step.

What have all of you done to end this annoying vibration?
although it is a small one, it still should not be there in a new truck!

Any replies will be greatly appreciated and maybe will give me some ideas to throw at the Chrysler rep.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM

This sucks to see this thread jumps started as I was hoping I was the only person dealing with this nonsense. Clearly there is a problem if it showing it's ugly head in a brand new 2012 like mine did.

I've got 12k miles on mine....hasn't gotten worse...hasn't gotten better. Still running the Badyear HP's, and still pondering about peeling those off for an A/T tire. The thing that I find interesting is the point in which the vibration is worst for you. Like mine, it starts around 68-70 where is seems the most noticeable. I'd almost go as far as to say mine is even more noticeable at 71-72, and lingers into the 75 range. Push it up to 80-85 and either it smooths out or the vibration smooths itself out with more rpms....if that makes any sense. Course...the Corvette needs tires too with almost 15k since we took delivery of her in 2008 so this truck seems quiet after driving that this summer.

Sadly...I've learned to live with it because I really like the truck. I wish I had more ammo you could toss toward the Chrysler Rep, but I don't. I've heard all kinds of excuses like the HP are junk, I heard the 20's are a bastard to properly balance, I've heard flat spots which would have made sense since mine sat for a few months before i took delivery of it, but I've yet to prove that theory true with a new set of Coopers, Bridgestones, or Michellins.

I can't help to wonder if something isn't right with the drivetrain like an out of balance drive shaft, or something in the tranny or rear end. Here's another thought....chrome clad wheels....are they vibrating as they pick up speed? I'm throwing spit balls at the wall at this point.

Please keep us posted how you make out. Maybe one of us will solve the mystery.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

It's hard for ME to understand why so many people are down on the Goodyear HP's. I just replaced mine after 66,000 miles. They still had some good life left but winter is coming and I drive ALOT. Anyway, I replaced them with the exact same tire because I had such good luck with the previous set. Right after I had them installed I got on the interstate and they vibrated like crazy at around 75-80 mph and smoothed out after 80. I took the truck back to the tire shop and told them, (in front of a lobby full of customers, that the tires they just intalled vibrated BAD!!) they immediately put it back up in the air and had someone "compitent" check the balance. Well they were sadly off as the so called tire tech had the right weights on the wheels but in the wrong places. It took them longer to re-balance thte tires than it did to have them installed earlier that same day. They said the 20" wheels and the big tires were a challenge to balance correctly. They did a great job (the second time) and it now rides smooth as glass at all speeds.
So, I guess I am saying make sure the person(s) balancing your tires actually knows what their doing before you start dogging on a particular tire as ANY tire will vibrate if the idiot balancing them don't know what they're doing..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:10
tstewart6367 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting on this old thread.
I really feel that this is a bigger issue than what the dealerships and Chrysler lead us to believe.
I had a 2011 1500 Quad Cab, but with the 4.7 and it did not have the vibration issue. Maybe it is something to do with the higher torque and HP of the 5.7???
I don't have the chrome clad wheels, so that rules that out.
I've changed from Goodyear HP's to Michelin's to rule out the "flat spots" issue and that made no difference.

Just to make a comparison, I test drove a couple of other 2012's with the 5.7 and they both have the vibration at 70mph. I haven't driven a 2012 with a 4.7 yet, but will be doing so.
Sadly I think that we all just learn to live with it and that is exactly what Chrysler wants us to do and they never really have to address the issue.

I do like the idea of a competent person who has been fully trained on how to road force balance a tire. I'm not sure, but maybe it's the same person at the dealership balancing my tires and don't know what they are doing. Will check into that!

I'm not sure if going the Lemon Law is the way to go. Any thoughts or experiences on that???

Anyway, I will keep you all updated on my progress with the Chrysler rep and their decision. I'm just waiting on the "it's a normal characteristic of this truck".
I'm going to need them to show me where in the manual and on the sticker that it says that.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Doug713:

Interesting that you were able to get such good mileage from the Goodyear HP's. My experience with tire problems in the past were all Goodyears so that's where I formulate my opinion of things...not just the HP. OEM tires "generally" from the factory aren't the highest quality tire. 9 times out of 10 it's a cost cutting measure.

Where I live, a highway tire isn't the most conducive with 170 plus inches of snow is the average but for the majority of customers I'm sure it's a decent enough tire for their needs. I know people who have had bad HP tires on their Ram which made the truck shake pretty bad. Some came from the assembly line, others were replacement tires from a reputable tire shop. I had problems with Goodyear Eagle LS, LS-A, and the older RT/S both from OEM installed tires on truck, suvs and cars. Hence..I've lost some faith in the Goodyear brand, but that's my experience, and opinion. The Eagle F1 run flats on the Corvette have worn with 15k miles, and the noise is almost deafing. Sure..plenty of tread but horrible for a 60k vehicle. A buddy of mine replaced his with Michelins, and claims night and day. I blame that on tire wear....as the tire wasn't that noisy when we took delivery of it new in 2008. Lots of high performance Goodyears get noisy with tire wear from my past experience with the 2000 Corvette, and a TransAm I had with the Gatorback tires. Probably just the nature of the compound designed for performance handling.

tstewart: That might be one theory about the 5.7 which might explain something, but I drove a 2012 a couple months after purchasing my 2011 and it DIDN'T seem to vibrate. Again...I came back to the tire being the culprit so the hear the new Michelins didn't work seems confusing and disheartening for me.

I took my truck back to a dealer with a RoadForce balancer, and it did improve...a little bit. The shake or vibration that I was feeling in the seat was reduced in which the tech indicated the right rear was off a little bit in balance. Better, but nothing went away in the steering. I have since rotated the tires faithfully with oil changes to keep tire wear even with no real difference in vibration change despite rotations. Maybe Doug is right....maybe I'm blaming the Goodyear and that's not what is truly causing the problem. It's clearly something in the drivetrain, or harmonics in the motor.

Please keep us posted. Also...zero experience with lemon law but depending on what state you reside, the laws may very. Document everything is the key, and continue to get more people involved from Chrysler would be a good route.