DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparornocar72 View Post
Im not saying ur right or wrong, but since the passenger side has the same design it makes me unsure. Im glad im getting the whole spectrum of feedback though. The headlight should do a pretty good job of blocking out the rain,
Yes, I thought about the driver side too, so looked over there. While there's no air intake, of course, this where many of the critical electrics are located. Again, I don't claim to know the engineer's and designer's mind for why that molded plastic extends over that far...just thinking of possibilities. Since I'm going to do the additional ram air tube to the bottom of the OEM box, I think I'll leave mine alone.

I also wondered how water and rain would affect the ram air mod coming from the lower grill panel up to the bottom of the airbox, but I'd think you have distance, gravity, and the bottom location of the airbox working in your favor. Still, I guess if you really plowed through some deep water, it might be something to keep an eye on to see if you find any mud or debris in the bottom of the airbox. I know some cars have used such a ram air intake inlet relatively low in the grill in the past, but cars don't get driven into as many water situations like pickups sometimes do. I notice that Volant and probably some other aftermarket air box folks provide a lower assembly for this ram air application, so maybe it's not a big problem. And maybe they have a baffle or such for water in their assembly. I can easily see adapting some kind of homemade baffle in the flex hose that some are using for the ram air hose. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious in my thinking here, but water has some amazing power and damaging effects when getting force fed into the front of a vehicle either by rain at speed or crossing high water.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

IMO people tend to over worry about rain in the ram air tubes. The only concern would be if you literally submerged the whole inlet, then it would suck in water. Even if you sprayed a hose into the ram air tube, it wouldn't matter. Yes some water may travel into the air box, but there should be a hole in the bottom to let it drain, and the filters can get a little wet without issues, as long as they aren't soaked.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
IMO people tend to over worry about rain in the ram air tubes. The only concern would be if you literally submerged the whole inlet, then it would suck in water. Even if you sprayed a hose into the ram air tube, it wouldn't matter. Yes some water may travel into the air box, but there should be a hole in the bottom to let it drain, and the filters can get a little wet without issues, as long as they aren't soaked.
You are probably right about all this being much-about-nothing. Not sure I agree with the part about the filter and water contact over time. The oil used in most of the high flow fiber filters isn't as water resistant as it used to be. I don't know if it was a "green" requirement or just the convenience of water cleanup, but even with just plain water, the oil in these filters will draw out. When I first started using fiber K&N filters, the oil was tacky enough to require solvent cleaning to draw out as much of the oil as possible for a good clean.

I realize these filters are used in all kinds of off road racing applications where water can be an issue, but usually in most of those cases they service those filters after every event and use and often even use a prefilter that also helps shed water. Again...I'm probably just being sissy in my concerns for this application...LOL! Still, if I'm going to get more than enough air through the OEM fender hole and the additional ram air opening, I think I'll leave the flap in place. I know it's hard to believe that some Chrysler/Dodge engineer actually knew what they were doing as it relates to this flap, but you know the deal about the blind hog and the acorn...LOL!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

I think i'll cut mine and be the guinea pig after the holiday travels r over.

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah well I agree it's definitely not a good thing to get them wet, my whole point was you won't instantly ruin your engine by sucking in water if you get rain in the tube. I think I'm going to do my ram air as my next mod so I'll post my results when I do. It's either going to be ram air or my headlights, we'll see...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Express Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express QC Rwd
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:108
SoCalExpress will become famous soon enoughSoCalExpress will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparornocar72 View Post
I think i'll cut mine and be the guinea pig after the holiday travels r over.
Did you ever do this mod?