DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough
Default parking brake

any of you tried your parking brake in a hill,
i tryed mine and it dosent hold the truck at a stop,....

i know it can be ajust but since its not a old truck and that the parking brake itself is not normally something that wears,...

did anyone ajust theirs?? is it long

thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
erm

I had to adjust my '07 as it didn't hold at all. it's not hard nor a long process.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 PM

crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

i guess ill give it a shot tomorrow inn the same time that i will put my winter tire on,..

is it just a rubber plug that you take off the rotor and then a screw to be turn?? when do you know when you gave them enough turns?

never had to adjust one before,
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher View Post
any of you tried your parking brake in a hill,
i tryed mine and it dosent hold the truck at a stop,....

i know it can be ajust but since its not a old truck and that the parking brake itself is not normally something that wears,...

did anyone ajust theirs?? is it long

thanks
Mine needed a lot of adjustment (could push it nearly to the floor before it caught. Never tried it on a hill though). Took it back to the dealer and made them worry about it under warranty.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 PM

i have a appointement with the dealer next week, maybe i should wait until then and try to get it fix/adjust under warranty

i didnt know it would be covered

thanks for the info
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 AM

so anyone can explain to me how to ajust please
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rick980 is on a distinguished road

My truck sits on hills without the brake, could that be Hill Start Assist?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM

i'm not talking when in drive,

i whent in a hill to test the parking brake, put it in neutral and parking brake on at max, and it didnt hold the truck in place,...

so i need to adjust the parking brake,.. but i do thonk my hill assist is off, do you think that would have anything to do with it??
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

I don't use "hill assist".

My parking brake will hold my truck on a down hill slope while in drive or not, engine running or not. That being said, I use my parking brake most of the time when parking, that is what it is for. I have 34000 miles and have not adjusted it yet. I have never had it not hold the truck in place. I use 'park' after the 'brake'.

My guess would be that your drums and/or shoes are contaminated with rust. IMHO it would be needed to disassemble, clean and adjust them. Done properly, the brake will work like new. Use the parking brake more often to help keep them clean.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave

Last edited by Studbuster; 11-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studbuster View Post
I don't use "hill assist".

My parking brake will hold my truck on a down hill slope while in drive or not, engine running or not. That being said, I use my parking brake most of the time when parking, that is what it is for. I have 34000 miles and have not adjusted it yet. I have never had it not hold the truck in place. I use 'park' after the 'brake'.

My guess would be that your drums and/or shoes are contaminated with rust. IMHO it would be needed to disassemble, clean and adjust them. Done properly, the brake will work like new. Use the parking brake more often to help keep them clean.
I agree 100%! I also use my park brake 'All the Time'. It's a throw back from my standard transmission days, but really makes a difference with an automatic. I never have an issue with getting out of 'Park' on a hill, as the transmission 'Park' cog is strictly backup to the park brake for me. I go through the frustration of teaching my family and employees the benefits of doing this (usually to deaf ears), but for the few that absorb this habit, have the same properly working Park Brake as I enjoy.

If I forget to disengage my Park Brake, and put the truck in gear and hit the gas, my truck does NOT move, and I DON'T set my Park Brake at max....actually, I hardly step on it.

If you use your Park Brake all the time, it will work very well 'all the time'. If you choose not to use it, don't expect it to function when you finally decide to 'try it', or worse, when you finally NEED it.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI