Exceeding the GVWR for the 3.21 but not the 3.92? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 1st Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue Streak
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Oldnag is on a distinguished road
Default Exceeding the GVWR for the 3.21 but not the 3.92?

This question has probably been answered over and over, but I am not really finding the specific answers I am looking for right now. One thing I have found repeatedly and have no interest in reading again is an argument on whether the 3.21 or the 3.92 is better or nothing beats the 4.10 and everyone who disagrees is a moron and so on and so on. Can we please not let this thread degenerate into the merits of this ratio over some other one?

I had a list of what I wanted in the truck I was going to buy and on that list was a 3.92 rear end. Unfortunately, I didn't get it. I probably should have pushed harder for it, but that ship has sailed. I have the 3.21. I have found the Trailer Towing Chart for my vehicle here:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf

My truck is found on page 4 as the Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, A8 transmission, 3.21 rear end.

My specific questions is: What other equipment is different in my truck than the 3.92 version of my truck? Brakes? Suspension? Anything else beefed up in the 3.92 truck other than the different gears in the diffs?

Reasons behind my question: The 3.92 rear end has a max. trailer weight rating 2,150 lbs more than my 3.21. Everything else is the same. Payload. GVWR. GAWR. So I am assuming that the stopping power, suspension, and all safety related aspects are similar between the two trucks. It is going to be the drivetrain and the actual pulling that suffers with my 3.21 rear end. So starting from a stop, pulling a hill, cruising at low rpms, that sort of thing is going to suffer. But safety related stuff like braking, handling, etc are going to be ok.

Why would I even consider this question? With the A8 transmission I can't see why this is going to be a problem. Am I missing something here? 1st is geared incredibly low in the A8. If I was to limit the transmission to 7th gear while cruising what would be the downside to me exceeding my max trailer weight rating?

For reference, I am considering a travel trailer with a dry weight of 7340 lbs, dry hitch weight of 780 lbs, and GVWR of 9000 lbs. I understand all the ins and outs of payload including fuel, people, camping gear, hitch weight and all that. I really do understand how all that fits together so I don't think we need to include that in this discussion. I do not want to exceed the GAWRs or the GVWR of my truck, just the trailer weight rating...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you all can give me. I really wish I had the 3.92 but since I have the 3.21 I don't want to do anything stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Eco diesel/1982 D150
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Well you can upgrade to the 3.92 easily. The pumpkin is the same on both. They didn't change till you went with 4.11. That was usually reserved for 4x4. As for upgrade to brakes or suspension. I would say no. An addition of brake control and trailer stabilizer. That would be a good idea. No one likes to be passed by there trailer during a emergency stop on the highway. That never ends well.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue Streak
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Oldnag is on a distinguished road

I would definitely consider swapping over to the 3.92 gears, but I thought that on a 4x4 that was rather costly since you have to change both the front and back diffs. I do have a 4x4...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Eco diesel/1982 D150
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Is your truck a 4x4? I don't know about the newer one. But the ones I deal with. Gen 1 and 2. 3.21 gears would be for highway on a 2 wheel drive. But nether of my trucks came with that high a gear. Both mine have 3.96 and nether are 4x4.
Advertisement