DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram1500
Trim Level: SLT (ThunderRoad)
Color: Gold
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:59
firerescuedodge23 will become famous soon enough
Default Can someone tell me how to install tow hooks on an 07 slt 2wd?

I just got some tow hooks i need to install on my 2007 2wd slt. I assume the front bumper needs to come off and cut some holes in the plastic filler but other than that im not too sure where to mount them to or if i need to drill holes to set them or should there already be a spot for them stock? Thanks for the help

(note they are not the mopar kit, they are simply two tow hooks with 2 bolts through them)
AFE Stage 1 intake, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, Fabtech 6 inch lift, 3 inch PA body lift, 35x12.5x20 Federal Couragia M/t, Full audio system, LSD, HIDs, Superchips Cortex, 20x10 XD Strike -24 offset

Last edited by firerescuedodge23; 11-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 PM

annnnyyyybody have some info on this please?
AFE Stage 1 intake, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, Fabtech 6 inch lift, 3 inch PA body lift, 35x12.5x20 Federal Couragia M/t, Full audio system, LSD, HIDs, Superchips Cortex, 20x10 XD Strike -24 offset
Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Google some images to get a look at where they're supposed to go. Get under there and check to see if there's a factory stamped spot where they'd be punched out at the factory.

Pull the bumper cover and check that the hooks will work. Take some jack stands and use them for guides/height/placement and chalk mark them on the ground. Place the bumper back in place (tape a couple markers to the hooks). Double check, triple check, quadruple check placement and start with a small pilot hole. If it looks okay make a paper cut out and do one side. Flip the cutout over and do the other side.

That's all I can think of...But sometimes any response is better than an ECHO...Echo...echo...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM

thanks a lot man yeah any help is better than no help.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
erm

Gee...ya had to wait a whole 2 hours for a response back...in a hurry are we??? Or do you just feel entitled?

My SLT has tow hooks and no plastic piece above the bumper. I remove the tow hooks (4 bolts per side) to install a light bar then I reinstalled them. You can see the pics from that install in my Ram Mods thread linked below.

Take a look behind any plastic piece there you may have between the grille and the top of the bumper to see if there aren't 2 or 4 holes drilled into a plate attached to the frame ends back there. If there aren't, then you'll have to fab up something to attach to the frame and for the tow hooks to bolt into. I'd suggest, if you have to do this, that you have some steel boxes made that will slip over the frame ends and can be welded on.

Since a lot of folks here may not have a 2007 SLT 2WD they may not be familiar with how these things are configured. Posting pics helps sometimes with the responses.

Last edited by erm; 11-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.