DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
jwsnowman is on a distinguished road
Default Swapping from Leather to Premium Cloth Bucket Seat Questions

I have the full leather seats in my Sport with the heated and ventilated option. I am having the same issue with my leather seats as many other 4th gen Ram owners hare having...the leather seats seem to be strectching and getting loose. The leather on the bottom of the seat is about 2 inches from the top of the seat cushion. My dealership has new leather covers on order for me but I know it's just going to happen again as many others have also replaced the covers with new ones only for it to happen again within a couple of months.

I'm now wondering if I would be better off getting the dealership to order in the Premium Cloth Bucket seat covers (leatherette trim with cloth on the inside) that comes standard on the Sport models. I know the heated seat option will work with the cloth seats, but I am unsure of the cooling option. The leather seats that I have are perforated to allow a little breeze through from the cooling option, however, I would think that the cloth would allow the air to breathe through as well.

Can someone here that may have some insight on this (and more brains than the service department at my dealership lol) chime in?

I am paying for the leather seats on my payments, but I might be able to swing something else into the deal (free Mopar exhaust system maybe? lol)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
erm

I'm thinking that you may have to modify the cloth covers or the foam beneath to accommodate the cooling function. The leather seats are punched and, I believe, have corresponding holes through the foam supports as well.

Good luck! I think this will work as long as you understand the cloth seats may not be a "plug and play" with respects to the cooling operation.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:637
sk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to all

I agree with MADDOG, the seat foam itself is usually a little different between the cloth and leather models anyways and being that you have heating/cooling option it would probably be that much more different. I know when you go to order Katzkinz or other aftermarket leather covers they ask if you stock seat covers are cloth or leather because there is a difference. I could be wrong but I will GOOGLE some stuff and see if I can help figure this one out for ya.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
jwsnowman is on a distinguished road

This was my thinking Maddog. After looking at the mopar parts site, the cushions for the seat backs and bottoms of the leather seats are different than the premium cloth seats (no part number but the prices are different). I'm going to do a little more research on this though. Maybe someone will have some more info on this...I'm going to do a little more research because I'm sick of these seats doing what they're doing but I love the heated/cooled seats...hence why I bought them but this leather is just terrible quality.