DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mossy Oak Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
ChillyPhil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ChillyPhil
Default Single Magnaflow Muffler Help?

My '97 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 is all stock and i wanted to do some stuff to it to make it sounds loud in a good way and gain some power.

I was going to go with a several hundred dollar exhaust setup but i was talking to a guy in at work here recently.

His dad and himself own a shop and they have a magnaflow 1 in, 1 out muffler laying around that he would say he would give me for 30 bucks.

We got to talking and he said he could put me an exhaust on. He said for 150 dollars including labor, he will put on the 1 in, 1 out magnaflow muffler and split it with a y pipe for duals with 2.5 inch pipe. He said he would also put some tips on it.

Is this a good deal and what will i expect? He told me it would be a good and loud sound but i just thought i would get you guys' opinions off here.

Secondly, for 100 bucks including labor he told me he could convert my intake into a Short Ram and put a cone filter on. He said it will mostly be the sounds of an intake system and maybe a little top end.

Any thoughts/comments?

-Thanks!

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 11-21-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
erm

That's a great price!!! I put on a single in / dual out Magnaflow muffler and had new tailpipes put on and it was just under $400 for that labor and material.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah that's a great price on the exhaust, magnaflows flow very well, and sound good too. Is it 3"? 2.5"? I would definitely not go any smaller than 2.5".

I'd skip that intake, without a heat shield you will be sucking in hot engine bay air, hurting performance. Unless of course he intends to put a heat shield on.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

If you want loud get flowmaster. This is my first set of magnaflow and they are seriosly toned down. It does sound good just not much sound. I also got the 14 inch with the magnaflow Y-pipe. Mine is maybe 1.5 times louder than stock.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

IMO the straight through type mufflers are very quiet at low rpm/idle as compared to chambered mufflers, but much louder at high rpm/heavy throttle.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM

MADDOG: Yeah, i was planning on doing the same thing but he was talking to me about it and work and i just thought it would save me alot of money.

snrusnak: I'm pretty sure its a 2.5inch inlet and outlet. And for the intake, what would you recommend? I been told a K@N drop in intake by other people instead customizing the stock intake?

And what are some examples of straight through mufflers?

GhostR1der: I was planning on getting the flowmaster 44 series muffler but i just came across this one for only 30 bucks. Can't beat that.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 AM

I don't know what the stock size exhaust is on that year truck, but it's probably 2.5", so that'd be fine. I just would double check and make sure you don't go smaller than what it is now. And don't go larger than 3". The dual 2.5" tailpipes would be good. Straight through mufflers are ones that have no restriction to the flow, they are basically a pipe with holes drilled all around it, then air volume outside of that pipe. Most have a sound absorbing packing also like fiberglass. When the exhaust passes through the pipe the sound bounces through the "perforations" in the pipe and into the air volume outside the pipe and is absorbed by the air space and packing material. Examples are magnaflow, dynomax, and many others... Flowmaster is an example of a chambered muffler. Straight through is much better for performance.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Yeah im pretty sure the stock pipe size is 2.5 in and out. And alright, thanks for clearing things up. How different will the magnaflow sound since its a straight through muffler compared to the other exhaust such as flowmaster since they're chambered? He told me magnaflow mufflers didnt have packing in so they would produce a louder sound?

Oh and would there be any difference running the pipe out at an angle compared to straight out the back? The guy that was going to be doing the work said he was probably going to run the pipe out at an angle.

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 11-22-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm pretty sure magnaflows have packing, but I don't know that for sure. A muffler with packing will be quieter than one without packing. You can't really compare the sound of a straight through muffler like magnaflow with a chambered muffler like flowmaster, they are simply a different sound. You need to watch some youtube videos to decide what you like sound wise. IMO the straight through mufflers are quieter than an aftermarket chambered muffler at low rpm and low throttle, but louder at high rpm and high throttle. What can be compared is performance, and a straight through type wins every time. As far as the angle of the tips, it will change the sound slightly, but basically no it doesn't matter, it's all what you prefer as far as looks.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Oh alright thanks, sounds good. I mean for 150 bucks this should be a decent setup right? Its nothing special, i just thought i might as well do it since its so cheap.

What about the intake for 100 bucks? Should i go ahead and do that and see if he could put a heat shield on or see if i could find a really cheap k@n dropin filter?

Also, another thing i was planning on doing was putting a pillar with guages but is there a certain pillar to put up? What kind of guages should i get? I been told tranny temp, oil temp, vacuum, etc.