DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
My conection is slow so I'm not going back to look but I thought you said that the tapping was coming from rhe area furthest from the oil pump? Anywho, I think I'd rather have to deal with a loose or worn tensioner than what we thought it might be. It sounds doable anyway, hope you find it.
I sure hope it's that simple. I replaced the entire timing assembly, including the guides and tensioners so I must not have preloaded it correctly. Not sure what the distance from the oil pump has to do with anything.?.?

The noise is coming from the area around cyl #2 which is right beside the offending timing gear. Even knowing what I know now, I would still say that it was a lifter ticking and I would even bet that 9 out of 10 mechanics would tell me the exact same thing if they had a listen to it.

I will know more tomorrow and hopefully have a resolution to this whole fiasco.

Last edited by IN2H2O; 02-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Lol, not saying I wouldn't have thought the same thing. Don't know where I remember seeing that it was the furthest area from the pump...I read so many similar issues searching the problem that I must have lost track. I know the L and R bank cylinders/firing order/valve operation sequence well enough to set valve lash in one 360 deg rotation, lol. Being the farthest away was one of the main reasons I thought it had something to do with oil pressure. Then again I didn't know the 4.7 had similar oil pump locations as the gen 111 hemi...just goes to show ya how familar I am with the 4.7, not too swift. I do know from experience/trial and erra, drivetrain noise can be deceiving. And I don't mean it to sound simple, just happy that there's no debri in ur oil piping or defective oiling to worry about. Even though it will be a pain in the rear, it sounds cosmetic and easier to solve...you found it! Now excuse me while I crawl (slow data speed) back a few pages to find where I got my stupid a$$ lost, lol.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 AM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2H2O View Post
Cyl 7 was the one that failed and 7 and 8 are the furthest from the oil pump and therefore the last to receive oil.

What do you think?
Bingo...lol, took this post out of context going back and forth to refresh what parts from which engine were swapped out and used...my bad!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Bingo...lol, took this post out of context going back and forth to refresh what parts from which engine were swapped out and used...my bad!
LOL, glad to have you back on track. Forums and mobile phones mix but not really all that well. Too bad we can't get this forum on Tapatalk, sweet app and much better for cruising and keeping up to date with your favourite threads. (The Apple Version is much nicer than the Android one).

Now on to business. I found my issue and am pleased to report that my engine is running smooth and quiet once again.

I was correct in that it was an issue with my tensioner but i did not expect to find this...each tensioner has a self adjusting hydraulic backstop in adition to the hydraulic piston and the one for the right side is missing. I never even noticed these when I installed them so i have no idea if it was broken before or after I did the install. I could not find the piece anywhere in the area and it's too big to get picked up in the oil pickup so I didn't get too carried away looking for it. Without this piece, the tensioner is ony as good as the oil pressure driving it which explains why it would change slightly with oil pressure and make me think it was a lifter.

I robbed the tensioners off my spare motor and replaced them both. They seem to be of a better quality.

See anything missing from the right hand tensioner?

Last edited by IN2H2O; 02-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

glad you got it sorted out!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM

That's great news! Hopefully the missing piece will turn up or find it's way to the oil pan magnet. Don't know much about tapatalk but if it's anything like xfire, hyperlobby, or teamspeak that would be great!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Now if only I could find the source of my whistle, I'll be set. I just ordered a Mopar IAC to replace the cheap one I bought from Advance Auto. It is either moving too slow, not working correctly or shaped in a fashion that it causes a whistle as it constricts down the idle circuit...

The black one is the OEM and the metallic one is from advance auto.

Last edited by IN2H2O; 02-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You know my 4.7L (2010) makes a whistling noise when you rev it and it returns to idle. It's only noticeable with the hood open.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Mine may have done it before too but if it did, I never noticed it. It may be worse now that the engine is tight again and moving more air.

I can hear mine in the cab as I drive down the road. It's louder if I rev the engine like you describe but it's there enough to hear if I let off the gas to roll up to light or stop sign.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 PM

hmm yeah I only noticed mine the one time when a buddy and I were working on it a few weekends ago, when I would rev it, as it returned to the idle rpm it would whine/whistle for a couple seconds.