DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: black flec
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
toolmantaylor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by u05006 View Post
i have read alot about these shocks & i think i'm going to make the purchase.
i have a couple of questions:

1. is the best place to get them in Canada Essex Distributors?

2. Should I install them myself? if so anyone have an idea how long it takes?

3.Has anyone installed them & have any tips for me?

i am going with the 5100 adjustable ones im getting all 4!!

really cant wait!!

I found Essex to be the cheapest for me and I looked around for a while.
I had my friends shop put them on for me. They said the rear was a breeze but the 2 up front had rusted bolts and he had to shear them of with a air chisel. That was the only hold up 2hrs in a shop on a hoist. They seem to give me a little harder ride but the gravel roads they perform as expected.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Do i need to get the set of 4 shocks if all i want is the front lifted to level the truck? i hate to replace parts that don't need it (inless it is purely cosmetic that is!)
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

No you do not need to replace the rears. In my case I tow a 20' bass baot on a lot of gravel roads and Gord at essex told me the truck would track better and hold a line through the washboard, I have to say he was 100% correct and I do not regret listening to him. Now that is MY case what you do with your truck may be different. Call and talk with him or any experianced person and do what you think is best for you. Hey you can always replace your rears later if you dont want to do it now and then decide you want to after the fact. the rears are a simple bolt on you can do your self in an hour or so
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
No you do not need to replace the rears. In my case I tow a 20' bass baot on a lot of gravel roads and Gord at essex told me the truck would track better and hold a line through the washboard, I have to say he was 100% correct and I do not regret listening to him. Now that is MY case what you do with your truck may be different. Call and talk with him or any experianced person and do what you think is best for you. Hey you can always replace your rears later if you dont want to do it now and then decide you want to after the fact. the rears are a simple bolt on you can do your self in an hour or so
Thanks Crash; I did however order all four. they should be in some time next week and i hope to maybe install them next sunday. I did however notice something today while trying to figure out how much lift I needed to get teh front level. My truck is not level from right to left across the rear. Left side is lower by a full inch (and less than a quarter tank of fuel). Not sure what is up with that, but im going to toss out a post.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
Musclemckeester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
My truck is not level from right to left across the rear. Left side is lower by a full inch (and less than a quarter tank of fuel). Not sure what is up with that, but im going to toss out a post.
It's called the Dodge Lean...a lot of us have it. It seems to be worse when you've got a full tank of fuel too.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yeah thanks Musclemckeester, I figured it might just be some sort of a lean.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and sure enough they claim it is perfectly level across the back. I know im no engineer, but i figured that even with a slight variance in ground height, measuring from the centre of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender would give me a dead nuts accurate reading??

Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
kiddynamite is on a distinguished road

anyone experience the "death wobble" when using just the bilstein shocks?? i'd like to raise my front end with these, but want to make sure the wobble won't show its face!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: copper head
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
u05006 is on a distinguished road

i just got mine installed today & tried the 4x4 & guess what, i got the death wobble!!
it's only present when i 1st step on the gas in 4x4.

Does anyone know what's needed to be replaced to get rid of it?

I love the look of the truck now! The stance is now the way it should have looked!!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
Musclemckeester is on a distinguished road

Best way to get rid of it........go back to stock. There is no "fix" for it unfortunately. I have it too, I just use 4x4 when I really need it, and it's never on smooth ground where I feel the shutter anyway. When I'm off road or cruising on the sand dunes in 4x4, I never feel it. On dry pavement I do, but you shouldn't be using it on pavement anyway unless it's really needed.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by u05006 View Post
i just got mine installed today & tried the 4x4 & guess what, i got the death wobble!!
it's only present when i 1st step on the gas in 4x4.

Does anyone know what's needed to be replaced to get rid of it?

I love the look of the truck now! The stance is now the way it should have looked!!
That slight shudder in 4wd from a stand still is normal and occurs when stock too especially if your front wheels are slightly turned when you gas it. You are confusing this with Death Wobble...If you ever experiance it you will know it... the steering wheel wants to come out of your hands the whole truck shakes and you feel the need to shit yourself.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity