DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

That is completely unexpected.
I wonder if it is wired backward inside the IPM, and the side that we think is batt, is actually the circuit side....Hmmm.
Try the same test at fuses 35, 36 and 38. I wonder if there is some strange connection that we need to know about.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
rob1218 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
That is completely unexpected.
I wonder if it is wired backward inside the IPM, and the side that we think is batt, is actually the circuit side....Hmmm.
Try the same test at fuses 35, 36 and 38. I wonder if there is some strange connection that we need to know about.
All of them are showing open on "battery side" and ground on the other side except for 36.. that one is showing ground on both sides..

i test another one of the fuses down that same row.. #19.. with fuse in is shows powers on both sides.. fuse out is shows power on the "battery side" and open on the other.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Well that leaves us wondering....

Just to verify that we are not going in the wrong direction, can you -
a) Disconnect the battery
b) check for continuity between the Pink/Yel at the ignition switch and Fuse 37. Also check the continuity between that very circuit and ground. I'm of the feeling the IPM has some strange wiring, so want to make 100% sure we don't chase ourselves in circles. LOL

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Well that leaves us wondering....

Just to verify that we are not going in the wrong direction, can you -
a) Disconnect the battery
b) check for continuity between the Pink/Yel at the ignition switch and Fuse 37. Also check the continuity between that very circuit and ground. I'm of the feeling the IPM has some strange wiring, so want to make 100% sure we don't chase ourselves in circles. LOL
okay i'll try that.. might be tricky not sure if my dmm leads are long enough.. gonna have to do some quick extends.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Just some guy in Canada

The other option is to pull the IPM....which we'll will likely do anyway.
Have you ever remove it before?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
The other option is to pull the IPM....which we'll will likely do anyway.
Have you ever remove it before?
Yeah i think i have.. should i pop it out?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Just some guy in Canada

You bet.

Here is the quick blow by blow -

First thing - disconnect the battery.....both leads.
Then remove the battery cable and accessory cable from the IPM

(engine side).

Then remove the 2 mounting screws/bolts.
The first is located on the front of the IPM, engine side. It is a vertical

screw. I believe it is a 10mm socket or T25 torx.
The second is on the front fender side. This is a bolt (horizontal) to

the fender.

Then pull the IPM toward the engine and lift up.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
You bet.

Here is the quick blow by blow -

First thing - disconnect the battery.....both leads.
Then remove the battery cable and accessory cable from the IPM

(engine side).

Then remove the 2 mounting screws/bolts.
The first is located on the front of the IPM, engine side. It is a vertical

screw. I believe it is a 10mm socket or T25 torx.
The second is on the front fender side. This is a bolt (horizontal) to

the fender.

Then pull the IPM toward the engine and lift up.

Sweet! it is out... aside from the plugs on the bottom..
Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Just some guy in Canada

The connector of interest on the bottom is C5. I believe it is green.

Here is a diagram of the underside -

Depress the locking tab and rotating the connector arm outboard to release the connector.

Once C5 is disconnected, check for 'ground' on the Pink/Yel at the steering column.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

okay.. i disconnected both positive and negative terminals on the battery.. should i hook it back up before i test for ground?