DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
raven28690 is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny issue

Just got this truck 1996 Ram with the 5.9 and auto tranny so I havent done anything to it or aware of whats been done with it.

First issue I had with the truck was the rpm's would bottom out then stabilize while sitting still in drive or reverse. It will do this every few minutes.
Was told the culprit may be the TPS or IAC however now the truck hesitates to move when i put it in gear (drive or reverse).

Are these 2 probs somehow connected or seperate issues that just happened to act up at the same time.
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

When it idles down does it sound like there's a vacuum running at full power (the hose suction end) in the air cleaner?

I mean does it sound like it's sucking A LOT of air when it does it?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 11-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No, wish it was though as I figure it would be vacuum related.

It will just idle down then immediately the rpms will return to normal. It makes no sound what so ever when it does it although you can feel a surge from the brake pedal.
When im sitting in the driveway with the truck in gear and foot on the brake pedal and when the rpms drop, you can feel like the truck is trying to move.

What are these sensors that are located on the tranny?
Remember reading about one being located on the tail of the tranny but forgot where the other was and what their purpose is.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

I honestly feel that you are looking at the wrong end of the truck.

I wouldn't go to the Proctologist for a tooth ache. He'd have his work cut out for him.

I believe your issue is the IAC (Idle Air Control). It's located on the back of the TBI (Throttle Body Injection) and held on with 2 Torex screws. It helps to control the air intake in the throttle body. If it's malfunctioning then the engine at a low idle is starving for air...

Air supplies the vacuum to the engine. As the idle drops it starts to lose vacuum and starves things such as the brake booster etc...

How does it know when to open? Well I'm glad you asked. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) of course. Without undue explanation it does what the name implies. It senses the throttle position.

SO...if everything is working in unison...the TPS tells the IAC when to open so your truck isn't wearing a plastic bag and calling it a space helmet.

At this point you could flip a coin if you're a gambling man, or you could rely on probability or take a survey.

Therefore: I'd say IAC. Why do you ask again? (and I'm so glad you're so very inquisitive) It's because the IAC has more parts that are exposed to the elements. The TBI is basically a sealed unit and can send a signal to the IAC.

On the other hand...The IAC opens and closes and has the opportunity to come in contact with the incoming air (CAI-or Cold Air Intake) If the truck is missing the air filter, it's dirty, valve cover vent, etc...

So the hypothesis (educated guess) would be the IAC. About $45 at Advance Auto. I'd replace the IAC and reset the ECM/PCM (Engine Control Module/Power Control Module). Pull the Neg cable, cycle the key once, reattach cable.

And don't forget to give any of our member's a rep that helps to solve your problem. They're free!

...and that's all I have to say about that.

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 11-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 RAM Laramie SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
safetyfast is on a distinguished road

Agree with Warlock.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thx for the info warlock.
After your thorough explanation, I could see how the IAC would affect my problem with the truck's rpm prob but would the IAC be affecting the hesistant shifting of the tranny though?
What I mean by hesitant is when you put the truck in drive and step on the gas, the truck acts like its in neutral then it will move after a delay.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Yes and No. If the idle is too low or it's trying to stall it's only natural to assume it'll take a second to catch, but it may be an unrelated issue. If it doesn't run right it can't be driven so the transmission may or may not be a secondary issue.

It's hard to teach knitting over the internet.

I would personally try the IAC and then see how it shifts. If there's still an issue I'd add a quart of Lucas' transmission treatment. I don't know how they make it but I think the main ingredient is pixie dust.

DISCLAIMER
Old 11-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thx again.
yea I will focus on the IAC and see what that does then worry if I need to have a proctologist look at the tranny.
Unemployed so have to start with the cheapest fixes first.

How does that lucas tranny treatment compare to lubegard?
I've used Lubegard ATF protectant in another Dodge I use to have to cure harsh shifts and it worked great however the label says nothing about curing slips.

Also wondering if what im thinking is a slipping tranny is just a cold natured tranny with what some ppl call "morning sickness".
Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

My Ramcharger had "morning sickness". I really don't know if it's just some kind of buildup on the clutches or what, but it seemed to cure it. The Lucas says that it stops slipping and for me, it has.

DISCLAIMER
Old 11-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thx again
at least i have a starting point to look at now anyhow.