DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road
Default Poor Fuel Economy (EVIC)

According to the EVIC, my truck averages anywhere from 15.x to 23.x litres per 100 Kmh.
Now, I know what you're all thinking. They guy must have a lead foot. Well... I don't. Not always. There are days I drive the truck like an old man. A very old man! My brother has a 2011 SLT (HEMI) and he averages around 12.x in the city.
So, that's my first question: Anyone experiencing poor fuel economy?

Now here's something a bit embarrassing that happened this past weekend:
Part 2:
My wife, daughter, and I were out driving Friday evening, and I noticed a tiny, red blinking light in the dash. I really didn't pay too much attention to it as I thought it was caused by my HIDs. I swear this light is in the SAME location as my TPMS. Turns out it was my Park Brake light. The owners manual shows the light not as a symbol but as the word "BRAKE". Swear to god.
Anyway... back to the story... I am still thinking it's the TPMS going off. Light stopped blinking in N or P, and chimed every time I accelerated from a stop. This was driving me nuts.
At one point - while driving - the truck felt like the tires were going to fall off. The shake inside the truck was so bad. I felt it up through and into my chest.
I started to tell my wife about the TIPM replacement I read here. She flipped out at the cost!!
Realizing my Saturday was going to be spent at the dealer, I started devising a plan. I knew I needed to remove the HIDs and put in the stock lights. My Saturday morning was looking bleak.

Just as I was nearing my house, something (not sure what) made me grab the park brake release handle. As soon as I did, the truck came back to life. No more shimmy, etc. I couldn't believe that the park brake was engaged. Like I mentioned earlier, I looked at the owner's manual and located on the dash what I thought was the TPMS light. The owner's manual says the park brake is in the dash, and says "BRAKE". Considering the TPMS symbol looks an awful lot like the park brake symbol. I believe the TPMS light is orange in the dash (?).
This was a bit embarrassing to me. But I'm glad I figured it out before taking it to the dealership.
I'm still a bit puzzled as to how the park brake was engaged. It was down only ONE CLICK. Applying the brake again, I was able to engage the brake down to one click WITHOUT the cluster light coming on.

Turns out the ABS was working overtime. I hope the rotors didn't warp. Good thing I only travelled a short distance to and from my destination.

As per my owner's manual, Dodge saysthe brake light indicator can be identified by the word BRAKE in the cluster, yet it's a circle with an exclamation mark thru it. The TPMS is almost the same as it too has an exclamation mark thru it in the cluster. And they are located right next to one another. Reading the owner's manual, it says the TPMS light will blink, but only for 1 minute or so and then glow solid. All that time I was thinking TPMS and HID = Disaster. Turns out, Park Brake = ABS X Disaster.

Has anyone else encountered either:

1.) Bad fuel economy (What kind of averages are my Canadian counterparts getting?),
2.) Brake engaged without knowing
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew cab
Color: Deep blue pearl
Rep:33
L0G1K is on a distinguished road

I average 15.5 on the indicator, somtimes get up to 16.5 and rarely get below 14 even driving 100 km/h on the highway.

However I get 23 with my travel trailer. If you do only city driving that might be plaussible. I drive from and back to work on a country road (90 km/h) and on the highway. I drive around 110-115 km/h on the highway.

I live up the mountains so I'm always either climing up or down a hill witch might explain why I get so poor fuel economy.

To get back to your brother, unless he's talking about mpg and not l/100 km, I highly doubt that 12 l /100 km in city driving. I wouldn't even get that with my Honda CRV...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

The EVIC is more accurate the longer you leave it without resetting it. The highway milage is way better, it is all the stopping and starting in city driving that kills the mileage. I have hand calculated my milage for the entire time I have owned my RAM via a spreadsheet. I am currently seeing 16.2 liters/100km over that period which is right where the EPA estimates said it should be. On strictly highway driving I have seen it as low as 10.5 liters/100km which is outstanding for this size vehicle. Oh and driving with the parking brake on will not help the milage, sorry could not resist
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
EODtruck is on a distinguished road

I am averaging anywhere between high 13-16 L\100 km between city and highway.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram cc slt
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Hunter green
Rep:12
Bistre is on a distinguished road

In the states way down south my 2011 gets avg 14 city and 21 hwy. Lead foot syndrome negates that and ill ignore the evic when that happens lol
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Dodge Service Manager

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Color: Pearl Black
Rep:28
Rutger34 is on a distinguished road

I am currently showing an average of 16.8L/100km. I do most of my driving in the city and don't really baby it.
Injen Power Flow cold air, Truxedo tonneau cover, 3" carbon fiber antenna, Power locking tailgate, tinted front windows. Mopar sidesteps. 3M covering nose. Billet license plate cover, Blue LED interior lights, fully de badged, EZ down tail gate.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Ransram, EODtruck and I are all getting the same numbers, exactly! I do find that these cold Alberta winters are horrid for mileage as warmup time and the slow Edmonton traffic don't do the hemi any favors. With the last cold spell and the snow and slow commutes my mileage is down to 18.9.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump3r View Post
Ransram, EODtruck and I are all getting the same numbers, exactly! I do find that these cold Alberta winters are horrid for mileage as warmup time and the slow Edmonton traffic don't do the hemi any favors. With the last cold spell and the snow and slow commutes my mileage is down to 18.9.
Okay, then it seems my mileage is right in line with the rest of you guys.

As for the park brake - dish it out to me: I deserve it. I'm just wondering if my 3 year old didn't apply the brake, if even lightly. My story was more of a "what could happen" to help out others. The shake in my truck was unreal.

My EVIC was displaying between 15.x and 18.x-19.x yesterday. It fluctuates so much.
My current tank of gas - I have the LARGE gas tank -, according to the EVIC, says I should be able to drive (DTE) 510 KM!!!!! In the summer I was able to go at least 710+ KM on a tank of gas.

Isn't that a bit below average??
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0G1K View Post
I average 15.5 on the indicator, somtimes get up to 16.5 and rarely get below 14 even driving 100 km/h on the highway.

However I get 23 with my travel trailer. If you do only city driving that might be plaussible. I drive from and back to work on a country road (90 km/h) and on the highway. I drive around 110-115 km/h on the highway.

I live up the mountains so I'm always either climing up or down a hill witch might explain why I get so poor fuel economy.

To get back to your brother, unless he's talking about mpg and not l/100 km, I highly doubt that 12 l /100 km in city driving. I wouldn't even get that with my Honda CRV...

Nope. He is talking l/100 km. I looked at his EVIC and clearly saw it displaying just over 12.x! This was 3 weeks ago. He does not drive highway... only city.

His truck is the SLT model, mine is the Sport. Both have HEMIs and we both have 3.92 gears. He has the smaller gas tank but other than that our trucks are pretty much the same. I just don't get it.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Rep:17
macked is on a distinguished road

I must say the way you guys measure fuel economy north of the border is very odd.