DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:58
BremboD will become famous soon enough
Default Coasting stall

Being a member for a while, I was hoping this wasn't going to be one of my first posts! But here we are.

I have a 2012 ram 1500 sport 5.7L, and over the last few months it has "stalled" out on my at random about 3 times now. Usually this occurs while coasting or braking, is very unpredictable when it happens, and shows no warning signs. The truck shuts off as if I turned the ignition off. The dashboards lights all turn off, engine light off, radio off, etc. And with that is the power steering and power braking! The truck runs fine otherwise, no rough idle or acceleration problems. After it stalls, I can throw it in park or neutral, and it fires up right away.

Of course since it is an intermittent issue, when I bring it into the dealership and they can't duplicate the issue, they are going to just turn me around and send me on my not so merry way!

So I need to figure out a solution be it myself, or VIA the dealership. A google search showed up no issues similar to what I am experiencing. Had anyone here on this forum experienced this issue or heard of anyone that has had this happen? Or if anyone has an idea of how to approach the dealership or a possible solution, I am all ears. I'm feeling that the Computer is just shutting down?

EDIT: I just realized that there is other postings on this forums regarding this issue. Sorry guys!

Last edited by BremboD; 12-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:427
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

If the dealer can't find it, maybe buy a Diablo tuner and if you are a lot smarter than me you can fix it in the tuning , or perhaps find a good CMR tuner like hemituner here. When I did the relatively hot cam swap, my truck wouldn't even start. Within 30 minutes my dyno tuner guy (TDP) had it running better than ever. I can't believe that such a hot cam runs smoother than stock, yet picked so much top end power. I think you might just need to add a wee bit more fuel, or perhaps a small vaccum leak.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, MagHytec 68RE pan,and differential cover, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner,GY Armortracs, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Outoftheblue is on a distinguished road

few things i can think of:

any codes being thrown? can you hook it up to a scan tool and see if there are any pending codes? some local places will do this for 50 bucks or so, then at least you have an idea. the problem sounds electrical.

second, have you looked into having your alternator load tested? could have been you had alot of stuff running in the truck at the time (radio, lights, phone, etc) and the alternator just got temporarily overloaded. you can find how to do it on youtube im sure.

there also could be a glitch in software somewhere. i've heard of doiing factory reset's by taking off the terminals off the battery and letting the truck completely run out of juice (say an hour) then reconnecting the battery terminals. that will reset the computers and it may help. look that up before you do it. i have never done it, just heard of it.

good luck
Old 01-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie V8
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
southerncomfort is on a distinguished road

My '97 has been doing the same thing. It shuts off when I put it in Reverse or when idling or taking off from a stop. I just got off the phone with the mechanic who drove it and could not find anything wrong with it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I haven't had a chance to bring this into a dealer yet, but she hasn't stalled on me again.

The only thing I can think of to cause this with the timeline, would be the oversized tires. I haven't had the ECU flashed to the new tire size, so I'm wondering if the shift points are acting a little weird. After thinking more in depth, it also seems like it only does it when I start slowing gradually while the truck is in MDS. Hmm...

I think the solution to my problem may in fact be getting a tuner, adjusting my tire size, and adding a few extra horses under the hood.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue. I have read a lot of threads that point to this being a tranny filter issue. I'm changing mine on Tuesday. Try checking your tranny fluid for bubbles it seems to be a sign. Hope this helps
Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlee9386 View Post
I have the same issue. I have read a lot of threads that point to this being a tranny filter issue. I'm changing mine on Tuesday. Try checking your tranny fluid for bubbles it seems to be a sign. Hope this helps
Do you have any links to these threads? Interesting. Will be checking on that one.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie V8
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
southerncomfort is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to check back in and report that the TPS sensor change did the trick. My truck idles smoothly and does not stall or shut off as it was doing before, ie at stop, inclines, turning left and reverse.

The sensor costs $37.00 at O'rileys or $32.00 at Auto Zone. I chose O'riley as I find the guys there tend to be a bit more knowledgeable.

I used the YouTube links below as a reference. The sensor did come with installation instructions but the vids really help.

Note that some mechanics ie, my one of my friends and as one of the vids shown above will tell you the throttle bodies need to be cleaned. I did NOT have to do that. The sensor change was all that was necessary. This of course could be case by case basis but in my experience it's always better to start with the easiest fix first and go from there.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: BLACK
theTANK is on a distinguished road

Same Issue!

My 2011 5.7 will stall out at a complete stop and ONLY when I come to a complete stop. I can roll and I have no issues. I can even pop it into Neutral and it will not stall. After awhile, it seems to be working fine. in MN we have been in a subzero freeze for most of the winter...

But I find it crazy that it only does this every once and awhile, when it is a COMPLETE stop

JOSH
2011 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI