DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

One note of to give pause if I may... I have to use the iridium plugs in the 496 mag in my Sea Ray 280 Sundancer they are $18.00 each for marine application.. He is my one thing... last year I had my IAC valve go bad and before I could make it back to the dock all 8 plugs fouled out and had to be replaced. SO to me I will continue to use the 30K copper version. You can change them three times for the price of an iridium plug.
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Phreeride,
Yes there seems to be alot of people who are somewhat confused, they don't seem to understand that the plugs in question are factory engineered plugs than Dodge has been bragging about in their own police vehicle advertisements.... Took awhile to track them down and check for cross application....
I understand your not wanting to wait....
All I can tell anyone, is that the plug numbers I mentioned, I have installed in my 2009 Ram 5.7 Hemi..... They are performing just fine, no problems what so ever so far, and as a bonus I've gained about 2 mpg average.... And a smoother idle.... Please people make your own choices, but My view is if cop vehicles with long idle times and high performance use can rely on them, then so can I....
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant black
Rep:10
phreeride is on a distinguished road

Lesson learned
The plug I mentioned earlier (ifr5e-11) is not the same plug as the Mopar iridium plug (ilzfr5e-11). The two letters after the first letter (lz) represent important  characteristics about the plug. 
The attached document on page 12 explains with those letters mean. 
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/sparkp...rkPlugData.pdf
As you have suggested previously plugs with this designation cannot be found on NGK's website. They probably only can be ordered through Mopar. 
After talking to a Denso representative he suggested I run the IKh16 Iridium plug. These plugs are available at my local auto parts store at 8.50 each. It took me about 5 hours to install these plugs and the truck idles smooth and runs great. I have not been able to validate the mileage yet but certainly it isn't worse.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Phreeride,
Good info on the plug numbers and letters thanks, glad you found a plug to try.. 5 hrs, doable, but not fun huh? I'm in no hurry to do it again, though I think it would go faster next time.... I hope your plugs work out well, I very happy with the ones I put in.... Post how you like yours after you get some time on them
Old 06-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT QD CAB Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:65
DodgeRamMan71 will become famous soon enough

I ordered a set of E3.68 spark plugs. They run about 5.99 per plug plus they offer a 5 year 100K warranty.
Part Numbers: E3.40, E3.42, E3.44, E3.46, E3.48, E3.52, E3.53, E3.54, E3.56, E3.58, E3.60, E3.62, E3.64, E3.66, E3.68, E3.70, E3.72
E3® Automotive spark plugs used for personal, family or household purposes are warranted to provide an experience of more power on less fuel, quicker starts and less fouling than competitive standard spark plugs, and to be free of defects in material or workmanship, for five years or 100,000 miles from the date of purchase.
I was able to get a discount and paid 83.77 with ship to my door. I read the manual and it said 32K miles or 24 months. I bout my RAM May 11, 2010, so 24 months are up. Go check out the plugs.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM

You may wish to read some of the blogs on this web site about e3 plugs, before you go to all the trouble to install them... I've no personal experiance with them good or bad, but I have read several blogs complaining about them... Hope they work well for you
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: QC
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:10
DRamrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreeride View Post
Lesson learned
The plug I mentioned earlier (ifr5e-11) is not the same plug as the Mopar iridium plug (ilzfr5e-11). The two letters after the first letter (lz) represent important *characteristics about the plug.*
The attached document on page 12 explains with those letters mean.*
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/sparkp...rkPlugData.pdf
As you have suggested previously plugs with this designation cannot be found on NGK's website. They probably only can be ordered through Mopar.*
After talking to a Denso representative he suggested I run the IKh16 Iridium plug. These plugs are available at my local auto parts store at 8.50 each. It took me about 5 hours to install these plugs and the truck idles smooth and runs great. I have not been able to validate the mileage yet but certainly it isn't worse.
5 hours?! I haven't taken a close look at the plugs, but are there any special tools that you needed to get this done? I ask because some of my previous cars were the biggest PMA. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

About the E3's, I only have one experience with them but it was terrible. Put them in my s10 and it stumbled a lot(not undriveable, but was worse than with the old plugs) and had less power. Put the old plugs back in and it ran fine. Then decided to replace with oem plugs.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM

You will need a good selection of extensions, I also suggest a wobble joint and some universal joints, a good proper sized spark plug socket, I think it was a 5/8 if my memory is correct, and it's very helpful to have either a spark plug starter tool or a length of the right sized hose to use as a starter tool, a good spark plug gapping tool is also a good idea... Get some anti seize thread compound and some dielectric grease for the coil boots.... The coil bolts are 10mm, so you will need some metric tools to address the coils.... You may also need a couple of new zip ties.... Prepare to spend about 3-5 hours.... It's doable but not fun, oh yea, you will probably need a short ladder or step stool.... And of course, it will be much easier if the engine is completely cold.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

I will be speaking with my dealer and inquiring if they are available......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"