DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion > Kills and More Kills

Notices

Kills and More Kills Fictional stories about how you may have smoked another car or truck with your Ram on or off the track! - Keep safe out there!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Ghostknife will become famous soon enough

those inline 6s were beasts, i watched one get the sand treatment on the cash for clunkers, it ran 15 mins with the sand
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAm 1500 Quadcab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
objurate is on a distinguished road

"i just dont think a vehicle can be gauged on how long it can run without oil pressure. "

Nor do I ...I simply used the "built ford tough" statement since that is there advertising campaign.

I know full well that had to of been some damage-but apparently less than I figured there would be. ONe of my daughters friends was coming hom from Superior Wisc, about 170 miles....her oil light came on north of Hinkley, she was coming over the hill and could see the exit (I would say it is less than 1/2 mile and all downhill)-she thought she could make it to the gas station there and see (lights and all) if she could add oil or what.....the engine blew up at the bottom of the ramp, scattering engine bits all the way up the ramp....it was some gm product, not sure which--some economy box POS 4 cyl......I went with my trailer and picked them all up and the car too it was quite the sight of catastrophic destruction---so yes I feel I was lucky to have been able to continue driving the truck for 80,000+ miles more after that happened---but still there had to be some amount of "quality" build in allowing the engine to continue on oil less....perhaps the design is such that there is so much residual, perhaps the oil pressure sensor is early in the system and while I lost pressure, the components were still fully covered in oil...who knows but I do know it still ran and ran well.......I am sure somewhere there is some dodge person with a similar story---I just happen to be in a Ford at the time...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:13
CRANKYPISTOL is on a distinguished road

Glad I didn't go with the eco-boom engine! I considered ford. I just know in my work truck (07 F250 with a 6.4 power choke) I have 125k and 4 turbo's 3 Ypipes at the turbo and 5 EGR valves already changed on it! I damn sure didn't want another ford with a turbo!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by objurate View Post
I am not brand loyal-so I have no doubt some of you will be insulted...I don't care

I have owned several Rams and even more Fords---
on one of my trips to the dealer (free oil change I got with a new vehicle purchase)--well I was about 100 miles into that oil change, towing about 4000# of trailer and load traveling about 75 mph---I hear this clunk under the truck and hadn't seen anything in the road---I look in the mirror and see something white tumbling down and off the road....It takes me about 3 seconds to click in my head (oil filter) I look down and sure enough non oil pressure and a big red light glowing at me....by the time I shut off the truck and coasted over to the side of the road, it surely had been running oiless for atleast 5 seconds with a substantial load. I walk all the way back there, find the filter and the o-ring...brush off as much sand as I can-crawl under and put it on the truck (Off ramp about 1/2 mile up the road with a gas station) I decide what more damage could I do-worst case scenario it blows up and I take the filter back off and blame the ford tech............I get to the station, no oil pressure the whole way, add 4 quarts of oil, start the truck and it seems to run fine-I ran that truck for another 80,000 miles beforing buying another and never had an issue.
That I would call built ford tough.

Of course I wouldn't go out and test this on purpose- because you know no oil has to have some good affect on engine life, but just saying this one still ran great and had no issues for over 80,000 miles after that.

So the die hards can bash on Ford all they want---I could pick out more problems with the dodges that I have owned than the fords that I have owned, just saying.......there is 2 sides to every coin
just for the record the worst built engines seem to last longest without oil...engines with tight tolerances fail quickly....(learned this during cash for clunkers)......point is the eco boost had oil in it.....lol.....just saying
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by objurate View Post
"i just dont think a vehicle can be gauged on how long it can run without oil pressure. "

Nor do I ...I simply used the "built ford tough" statement since that is there advertising campaign.

I know full well that had to of been some damage-but apparently less than I figured there would be. ONe of my daughters friends was coming hom from Superior Wisc, about 170 miles....her oil light came on north of Hinkley, she was coming over the hill and could see the exit (I would say it is less than 1/2 mile and all downhill)-she thought she could make it to the gas station there and see (lights and all) if she could add oil or what.....the engine blew up at the bottom of the ramp, scattering engine bits all the way up the ramp....it was some gm product, not sure which--some economy box POS 4 cyl......I went with my trailer and picked them all up and the car too it was quite the sight of catastrophic destruction---so yes I feel I was lucky to have been able to continue driving the truck for 80,000+ miles more after that happened---but still there had to be some amount of "quality" build in allowing the engine to continue on oil less....perhaps the design is such that there is so much residual, perhaps the oil pressure sensor is early in the system and while I lost pressure, the components were still fully covered in oil...who knows but I do know it still ran and ran well.......I am sure somewhere there is some dodge person with a similar story---I just happen to be in a Ford at the time...
Very well, carry on! Haha

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

those ford 300cid's are bullet proof.....apparently literally lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram cc slt
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Hunter green
Rep:12
Bistre is on a distinguished road

Wait wait now... Ford has built great engines in the past! So have mopar and gm im not downing that! Lol. But i do beleive that eco=explosion will have more issues before it reaches that status if it ever does. I mean look at that 6.0 deisel they had lol and another thing, why not stick with that works and improve on that??? Like the 7.3L powerstroke they had for years. Or the new gas engines... What was so bad about the 5.4 that lasted so well to some people? Now they have a 3.5L TT a 5.0 and 6.2. Why not put the 6.2 in a truck and brag about it beeing fast? Not a tt v6. It sounds like a rice truck lol

Oh yeah btw that I6 was practically indestructable. Id love to have one in a mid size 4x4 geared low as hel with some 35" boggers lol
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

IMO ford doesn't do forced induction very well. Any of their super or turbo charged factory engines had issues (diesels, F150 lightnings, mustangs, tbirds, etc...). I think between all the manufacturers GM has forced induction down the best, they have had many vehicles turbo and supercharged with success (grand prix gtp's, the old buick grand nationals, new zr1 corvette making like 640hp, cobalt SS turbo and supercharged models, and many many more...)

Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram QCSB 4.7L
Color: Light Almond Pearl
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:30
RumbleRam is on a distinguished road

those eco-boost trucks are a great idea, but being in the automotive field, ive seen their problems...the turbos "coke" up and pretty much destroy themselves, plus they only get "22mpg" (thats what they say) so...i really didnt think those trucks would last long anyway, i mean it's a 5,000lbs+ truck meant to haul load....but with a boosted V6? come on....
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM

^ Well I think many people have a misconception. Boosted engines produce a lot of torque, so it really does make sense to put a boosted 6 in the truck over a v8, that engine has more torque at any rpm than the hemi, for example. I thought they claimed 24mpg hwy, though people don't seem to be getting that. Either way, IMO it's a great engine, great torque and hp, and great mpg whether it gets what it's rated for or not, but who knows about durability, and plus it's in one of the ugliest and worst truck available...lol

Closed Thread