DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

As for dicking sound with the timing, if you want to advance the cam, the ECM will adjust. The injectors will fire a micron sooner, but that's of little use unless the cam is upgraded to take advantage of it. If you want to adjust the ignition timing, an external programmer is necessary, but on street turbo applications, unless you're going for something really wild, you don't want more ignition timing. Stock is more than enough.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Ramvan, I don't pretend to know it all, but what I do know, I know very well. I'm not out to attack you or anything like that. This is not personal. You are enthusiastic, and that's a good thing. However, you are also in waaaay over your head. The 426 had 10.25 to 1 compression. The diesel in my boat is 22.5:1. Neither had a turbo. Both have forged aluminum pistons. What do you think happens when the boost comes up? Cylinder pressure increases. Simple as that. So be it 10:1, 22:1 or 8:1 with 10 lbs boost, it's all the same. There's more stress than a cast piston can handle, forged must be used.
Never said you did and I know you're not out to attack me matter fact I don't even have a feeling of anything bad. I am really enjoying being able to talk to someone who has an inkling of what we're saying. Yea I'm somewhat of an enthusiast but only thing that puts the threshold being mechanic and enthusiast is one does it for a living. But whatever their.

But turbo or no turbo their are still other options. Yea the ECM will surely accept a performance Cam that's for sure however spark advances and retarding is controlled by the ECM entirely. The only thing changing the Cam will do is keep a valve open longer or shorter depending on the cam of course. Sure you might be able to get a little more HP but...

Rebuilding the engine first would be smart I agree. Of course if he does have to much HP that drive shaft might not be able to handle it.

Well lets say a person does put a turbo on the magnum, the turbo cost X dollars but then you are going to have to get forged pistons which will cost X dollars also the cam will cost X bucks and the gaskets and bearings will cost X bucks and the exhaust change will cost X bucks and the rockers,pushrods,lifters, will cost X bucks. X is getting pretty high! Of course I don't expect it to be cheap but is it really worth putting all that time, labor and money into a pickup truck? I mean me personally I probably would do it but it's not that serious of a vehicle. And what will a person do with 400 HP, if he is going to tow ok then it's fine but if you are just a sunday driver then ? What the hect! It's like old people with Vetts they buy them and drive them SOOO SLOOOWWWWW. Of course they buy them to be young again but still.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikelrg View Post
Ramvan and gen1dak I have a hyperteck programmer currently using its set to high octane 93 to b exact and it set to run my tranny 500rpm over the stock shift points when I get on it that's the only things it does besides the basic programming purpose like" unlocking the engine" meaning let it go to its full potential quote what all programmers claim so me having that is that good when u say I need to upgrade the ECM and if not how much do performance ones run? And so without one I cannot put a performance cam in it without the emc adapting? And yes I know what u mean about planning I've been a member to this sight for months and have been planing ever since I signed up u guys help me make em and advise me for them. And the reason for the stroker kit is its said by plenty of people that those engines are torque monsters and can b made to make 400h.p. + and where like what sight should I get the little things you hade mentioned like the bosch injectors and such at? And u said do tranny last? I thought u said its a good idea to do it first so when u build ur motor up u have a tranny ready to support it right?
Their might be a issue with the ECM aclimating to the changes because really the ECM controls the whole timing and runs the same programs day in and day out. You might be able to make some serious changes and not worry about the ECM but I can't tell you for sure. The only reason I have doubts is because of the majority of Chrysler documents I have for the ECM's and the Engine it self.

Those Bosch injectors atomize the fuel better. Good example is a spray bottle you have stream and then you have mist, the Bosch injectors will mist the fuel while the stocker injectors stream the fuel. The misted fuel mixes with the air better.

I did think doing the transmission rebuild first is a good idea because it's cheap to do and can be done in as little as 2 days with the proper tools most certainly but also because you would have it ready for a high performance engine. But I guess I changed my mind only because I don't want to talk about what should really be done first. Personally I would do the transmission first, you would have it all ready for a tight engine. And also if for some reasons you can't spend the money to modify the engine then atleast the transmission is done and you don't even have to worry about it when you do have the time or money or whatever to do the changes to the engine or maybe you can do the changes to the engine over time. But when in rome do as romans.

As for porting the exhaust it will help make the engine breath just a little bit better. Take a 1/4" tube and put it in your mouth and breath through it, then put a 3/4" tube in and breath. Obviously you breath better with the 3/4" tube. Change the exhaust manifolds out for some good headers.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
bigmikelrg is on a distinguished road

Ok so here is the deal I love trucks I'd rather have a fast truck than a fast car. Already have an off reading truck I just need a street truck that I can use as an everyday driver and when me and my buds decide to race I can and I want to eventually b able to take it to the strip and get into division raceing I love the style my 99 has I like it better than most newer ones that's y I'm working with it instead of trying to buy a newer moddle. As for performance I want allot of torque to beat my buds in ther vehicles and to get it up to top speed faster for cuter drag times and mor h.p. for bein faster on both terfs that's y I want to go with a stroker kit it will bring my 318 cubic inch to a 390 or a 400ci I just want to know what else can I do for 1000$ ontop of that to achieve the most. This is like any persons hobby to me I love engines I am a 2nd gen mechanic and know how everything works and goes together however I am the first gen to do modifications beyond exaust and CIA that's where I need help I have all the correct SNAP-ON tools required to do ANYTHING.mso hit me with 1000$ budget for mods you would advise me to do and where I can buy it including what sight eBay, summit raceing doesn't matter and what moddle of that part should I get?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikelrg View Post
Ok so here is the deal I love trucks I'd rather have a fast truck than a fast car. Already have an off reading truck I just need a street truck that I can use as an everyday driver and when me and my buds decide to race I can and I want to eventually b able to take it to the strip and get into division raceing I love the style my 99 has I like it better than most newer ones that's y I'm working with it instead of trying to buy a newer moddle. As for performance I want allot of torque to beat my buds in ther vehicles and to get it up to top speed faster for cuter drag times and mor h.p. for bein faster on both terfs that's y I want to go with a stroker kit it will bring my 318 cubic inch to a 390 or a 400ci I just want to know what else can I do for 1000$ ontop of that to achieve the most. This is like any persons hobby to me I love engines I am a 2nd gen mechanic and know how everything works and goes together however I am the first gen to do modifications beyond exaust and CIA that's where I need help I have all the correct SNAP-ON tools required to do ANYTHING.mso hit me with 1000$ budget for mods you would advise me to do and where I can buy it including what sight eBay, summit raceing doesn't matter and what moddle of that part should I get?
Well you and me both about fast trucks!

Well for the transmission you need more then snap on tools, many of the tools required for a proper rebuild are specially made. At the very minimum you just need a press, some 2x4's and saw handy, lock ring pliers, snap ring pliers, screw drivers, picks, C-Clamps and that's about it. I was able to rebuild my transmission with basic home owner tools excluding the press of course. As for the engine you need mostly measuring tools, caliper, dial indicator and stand, things of that nature. But it seems like tools are no problem so good.

I would first start out by removing the engine and stripping it and cleaning it have it painted basically prep work. Prep work is the most important because it gives you the option of checking the block and the heads for any damage along with other parts. Sometimes things can work properly when damaged, actually most times.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Ever look at the Chrysler documents on the 5.9 Magnum? Every factory service manual since the 5.9 mag introduction in 1993 has the intake valve specs for the pre-magnum 5.9. The old 360 (5.9) has an intake valve of 1.88 inches. The Magnum 5.9 intake is 1.92 inches. So, for about ten years, the FSM's have contained that error. Point is, don't believe everything you read.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Ever look at the Chrysler documents on the 5.9 Magnum? Every factory service manual since the 5.9 mag introduction in 1993 has the intake valve specs for the pre-magnum 5.9. The old 360 (5.9) has an intake valve of 1.88 inches. The Magnum 5.9 intake is 1.92 inches. So, for about ten years, the FSM's have contained that error. Point is, don't believe everything you read.
The 5.9L magnum and the 5.9L are two different engines. The changes as known are oil system, block, and heads. But I don't always believe what I read. However their is much truth to the service manuals. Anyway's lets just put this all aside we both went from torque converter to the measurements of the magnum engine lol... What do you think he should do? Well what would you do if this was your engine and were in his position?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 AM

Yea measuring tools rant the problem neither and my dad thought me his method on how to press thing all u need is dry ice and a torch heat one end and freez the other they will slip together easily at least for everything I have done it with. And yes I was just asking about a torque converter cuz I thought that might b a good place to start but I really don't know that's y I'm asking lol and yea ramvan there's just something about half ton trucks passin up street cars/rice burners that is sick as hell ya know. So where should I start or the best starting point makin the engin breath. Tranny engine, anywhere from cam to intake with 1000$ budget in mind?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 AM

Ok I'm done. You two have fun.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Y I don't think u understand what I'm Asking I'm tryin not to bother to much man my bad