DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikelrg View Post
Yea measuring tools rant the problem neither and my dad thought me his method on how to press thing all u need is dry ice and a torch heat one end and freez the other they will slip together easily at least for everything I have done it with. And yes I was just asking about a torque converter cuz I thought that might b a good place to start but I really don't know that's y I'm asking lol and yea ramvan there's just something about half ton trucks passin up street cars/rice burners that is sick as hell ya know. So where should I start or the best starting point makin the engin breath. Tranny engine, anywhere from cam to intake with 1000$ budget in mind?
Yea I know what you mean even when I pass ricers with my van man they go like WTF?... Well I think I would start with getting rid of the stock exhaust manifolds get some nice headers, you can find some on ebay for 140 bucks stainless steel. Or you could get some hooker headers yummy! Another thing you can do is upgrade the rocker ratio this will allow the intake and exhaust valves to open wider and longer, sadly we can only have so big a rocker ratio because you're at risk of engine damage. But every little bit helps. Another thing is to port the intake and exhuast valves this cost some money I would look into the price of having them ported and the price of buying some on ebay already ported. The TB riser block won't have an marginal difference in HP and torque it would only on pre magnum's. You cannot adjust timing with the magnum engine because it is controlled by the ECM and I found a document by a performance modification company who has already tried to do it by timing chain and distributor. I am happy to send you a copy of the document if need be. So since timing adjustment the old fashion way is out then you have to use the almighty programmer. Which you are so that's good. Having the TB ported will increase response by a little so their might be a cost to outcome ratio meaning is it worth it. These are a few things to help with breathing.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012, 04:33 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yea measuring tools rant the problem neither and my dad thought me his method on how to press thing all u need is dry ice and a torch heat one end and freez the other they will slip together easily at least for everything I have done it with. And yes I was just asking about a torque converter cuz I thought that might b a good place to start but I really don't know that's y I'm asking lol and yea ramvan there's just something about half ton trucks passin up street cars/rice burners that is sick as hell ya know. So where should I start or the best starting point makin the engin breath. Tranny engine, anywhere from cam to intake with 1000$ budget in mind?
No you need a press for things like the transmission. When you replace the bushings you need a bushing tool kit and a press. Harbor Freight! The press is most needed when you rebuild the overdrive unit, as everyone on here knows the OD Direct Clutch Spring is until 830 Lbs of tension and the press is used to put the spring under more tension so the sun gear snap ring and the OD Drum snap ring can be remove safely. You will have fun rebuilding the transmission, it is very fun and very easy. I was able to do it in 2 days that's how easy it is. But most of all it is very fun.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
bigmikelrg is on a distinguished road

Ok so I need to rebuild the over drive in the tranny or? And by porting the intake do u meam the kegger mod? And the tb modd is where u cut the walls off the tb? And what about a performance catilac converter would that make a difference? also my programmer automatically fixes the timeing?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 AM

And for a stroker kit should I just buy seperate parts to b better or will all the parts in the kit good u can get forged or iron pistons
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Ok so I need to rebuild the over drive in the tranny or? And by porting the intake do u meam the kegger mod? And the tb modd is where u cut the walls off the tb? And what about a performance catilac converter would that make a difference? also my programmer automatically fixes the timeing?
Well eventually when you do rebuild the transmission you are going to end up rebuilding the OD because the OD is part of the transmission, actually the OD is a OD Unit. The extension housing serves as the OD Unit.

For porting the kegger mod would be done to the TB. The porting I'm talking about for the exhaust would be to have the ports machined larger but bring it to a professional for that because he or she will know if it can be done without the risk of head damage or not.

The programmer isn't what will fix the timing the programmer is what will allow you to make the timing adjustments. Traditionally before ECM's you would adjust the spark advance by rotation of the distributor or adjust the timing chain. However the distributor on the magnum engine is used solely to distribute the spark and has a hall effect sensor for the ECM to monitor the engine RPM allowing the ECM to know when to advance or retard the timing. Back in the olden days the distributor would have a weight attached to springs inside of the distributor, when rotated at a certain speed the weights would fly out slow down the distribution of the spark thus adjusting the time of the spark. Now the crank shaft position sensor, the hall effect sensor, O2 Sensor, TPS, biometric pressure sensor, along with a few other metering devices are used with the ECM to air the ECM in selecting the proper timing to meet the demands of emissions, performance, fuel efficiency, and load. In words the ECM allowed an engine to perform it's very best in terms of power and fuel efficiency but also emissions. So the programmer will allow you to adjust timing outside of the ECM's programming.

The performance CAT might have an improved air flow for better breathing. All the CAT is for is emission control, in the later dodges they added a post cat O2 sensor this post O2 sensor is used to monitor emissions to assure the CAT is operating at it's best, the pre cat O2 is used to aid the computer in proper fuel mixture. In the older dodges you would have only one O2 sensor that would be a pre CAT o2 sensor. So on my 1995 van I can run it without a CAT and their won't be running issues only legal issues lol. The downside is that the CAT can be in a condition were it isn't performing the way it should and you will never know then comes time for a vehicle inspection and then you will find out. Lucky for me FL has no inspection.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
And for a stroker kit should I just buy seperate parts to b better or will all the parts in the kit good u can get forged or iron pistons
With engines buying a Kit is better because for the first timer it comes with everything you need and comes with instructions. Get forged pistons they won't crack like a cast piston, instead they will bend.

Only time it is best to purchase parts separate is when you are rebuilding a transmission. This is just my opinion.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Ok thanks ramvan o my programmer doesn't allow to adjust timeing so how much are ECM's ?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM

And should I get aftermarket heads befor a cam or doesn't matter?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks ramvan o my programmer doesn't allow to adjust timeing so how much are ECM's ?
I have no clue how much programmable ECM will cost nor how much a performance ECM from Mopar will cost but I can say it's going to be between 200-800 bucks. That's just my estimate. You are lucky because your vehicle is 1996 or older, their are more ECM options for dodge trucks made 1996 and after because of ODB 2 while I have a 1995 and you cannot do anything and their are no performance chips nothing for my 1995.

For the cylinder heads, if you want to buy the mopar performance you should get a performance cam along with a set of pushrods, lifters, and rockers. Now if you are just going to get a set of plain old cast iron heads then you don't really have to change the cam because the head isn't going to have much an effect it would be more dependent on timing.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 PM

I'd highly recommend a dual pattern cam (different lift and/or duration for intake vs exhaust valves). Most stock heads do not flow well, and even worse on the exhaust side. It would be helpful to get a cam with a little bit more lift and/or duration on the exhaust side. IMO duration is more critical than lift, most usually talk about lift but I would concentrate on the duration..............this was posted to me is this meaning buy the cam according to the heads or I can just buy what ever heads and just gut what u said a .500 lift cam?