DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Rep:10
vinny27 is on a distinguished road
Default Remote starter question

I am installing a Bulldog remote starter on my 2009 Ram. I am having difficulty finding the horn wire. Does anyone know what color wire and the location of this wire is? Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny27 View Post
I am installing a Bulldog remote starter on my 2009 Ram. I am having difficulty finding the horn wire. Does anyone know what color wire and the location of this wire is? Thank you.
It's the ones coming off the horns directly under/in front of your hood latch (behind the front grille).

All joking aside - it kind of depends upon where you need to pick up this wire. I have plans to modify my horns and this is where I'll pick up this circuit since I don't want to mess with/disturb the air bag on the steering wheel.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I will check that out. Thank you. I don't mind tapping into it there and running a wire back through the firewall. It say's in the manual that I am looking for a grey/yellow wire at a 5 wire relay isolate.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste any more time looking for the wire at a 5 wire relay isolator....it doesn't exist!

The horn switch in the steering wheel is strictly a 'Mux' circuit that is read by the steering control module and sent via data to the instrument cluster where it travels via the Can Bus to the TIPM. Basically, there is nothing to 'tap' into.

Once you get to the TIPM, there are options. Connector C3 on the bottom (C), Pin 21 with a Gray/Light Blue wire supplies power for Horn #1, and Pin 25 with a Gray/Yellow wire supplies power for Horn #2. The other side of both horns is tied to ground, so either of these wires could be wired through a relay to be use the horn for the remote start. Having said that, why does the remote start need a connection to the horn ???

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It says in the (remote start) manual that the horn is used to program the remote starter. Other than that, not sure. My factory keyless entry does not use the horn so not sure why the remote start would.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to just attach a simple beeper or indicator light if that's all it's used for.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

What provisions do the Bulldog give for the transponder bypass module, and which module are you using? I usually deal with DEI and Audiovox alarms/Auto starts so I'm just curious. Thanks..
Old 12-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I am using the xk09 bypass module from xpresskit.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

To give you a rundown of what I have going. I have installed the Bulldog 600 deluxe remote starter with the xpresskit xk09 bypass module. The locks work, the parking lights work, but, the remote start does not work. They told me at Bulldog it's a programming issue and that the horn should sound to help program it. When I hit the remote start to try to start the truck, I hear 3 clicks at the ignition barrel and then nothing. The lcd diagnostic readout is telling me "not sensing the tach" which Bulldog tells me is a programming issue. This is why I am trying to tie the horn in.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Just some guy in Canada

The horn output of the Bulldog provides a 200ma ground trigger.
If you used a Piezo Buzzer like the Radio Shack 273-059, which is only 76db and only needs 10ma, you could connect the red wire to +12V, and the black wire to the horn output. This would give you the audible feedback for programming, at a cost of $3.49.