DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

The spread issue was most like cause by the trigger pull on the revolver. If you were shooting it in Double Action the it is much harder and longer pull then the semi autos. The recoil issue is caused from the slide recoiling back to load another round into the chamber. The shored barrel will have a play but the slide slamming to the rear position is what causes most of you muzzle flip. To control a semi auto tje trick is get your hands as high up as possible without the slide butting you and a aggressive grip. Look up handgun grip techniques. Off the top of my head search for the shooting coach on YouTube. The semi auto grip and reliever grip are very different and should really be used for each other.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

wow probably 50-75 % of that is over my head lol. I'll look that up on youtube. That makes a lot of sense about getting my grip as close up to the slide as possible as the further down my grip is then the more torque that will be created from the force of the slide ...

I know the revolver I shot was a smith and weston (hehe jk....smith and wesson) with the "concealed" hammer or "hidden" hammer or whatever you call it.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:54
Stagman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I'm thinking of purchasing a hi point 9mm firearm, mainly for the shooting range. I've been doing a lot of research, and talking to a lot of people, and seems to me like they sure have a bad name. I noticed though that people who actually have the gun, or have at least fired one seem to love them, and the haters are those who have never touched one (...maybe upset because they spent so much more on an "equivalent" gun???), or those who sell them (don't make any money off selling them because they are so inexpensive). I'm looking for opinions from those who have actually used/owned them, no haters just because lol! I'm really close to pulling the trigger (sorry...had to) on the purchase, for $160 for a 100% american made firearm with a lifetime warranty, and good reputation from actual owners, I can't see why not to...

On a side note, I'm debating between the 9mm($160) and the .38($140).....I'm thinking the 9mm will be cheaper in the long run as I believe the ammunition is cheaper....is this correct?
I own two and shoot with my cousin who has 3. We have had no issues with our 9mm pistol, 40 cal or carbines. No Jam's and good accuracy through thousands of rounds.

I hear the same negative talk about Kel-Tec, which their P11 is my concealed carry, when I leave IL. Again, no jams and very reliable.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I appreciate all the input guys! I have just about decided to buy one, and am going to go to the local dealer tomorrow after work to try and shoot one and possibly buy. They are wanting $200.00 for the C9, which seems a hair high to me, but my dad said it would cost $40-60 to have it shipped to a dealer and all that anyway, so it's about the right price (msrp is $165.00). Plus they give 30 days range time and instruction with a purchase.

Now to muddy the water a bit....I came across phoenix arms out of ontario canada, and they have a HP22A (.22 semi auto). It is even cheaper and has the lifetime warranty and has similar reviews to the hi points, good cheap guns with good customer service. I almost would rather have the .22 as it would be cheaper to shoot, but can't locate a dealer. Anyone have input on this gun and where or how I can locate where to buy one?

I believe the hi point is double action and the phoenix arms is single action, and I thought I knew the difference, but apparently don't. With single action you have to cock it before the first shot but then after that it will automatically cock every time automatically, right? And double action you don't have to cock it the first time? I'm confused...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Well, I bought a Hi Point C9 today. Haven't shot it yet.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Show some pics of that blocky beast
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Show some pics of that blocky beast
Will do in a few days. I'm being responsible and since this is the first firearm I've ever bought and taken out of the case I'm reading all the warnings/instructions/etc.... I will be shooting thursday and friday evenings, I'll post some pics. The gun was $200 which might seem expensive compared to what others pay for Hi Points, but keep in mind here in FL I'd have to pay a local dealer about $50.00 to receive it and give it to me, and MSRP is $165.00, so it's actually about the right price. Plus, since there is some possibility of having issues with it, being a cheap gun, I wanted to make sure I buy it at a local dealer that will stay in business so I can go through them if I ever need warranty work. The shop also gave me 30 free calendar days of range time and instruction. So I am going to have them show me how to tear it down and reassemble (even though I'm pretty sure I know how). So tomorrow I'm off to walmart to get some of the cheapest 9mm I can, and then thursday and friday I'll put about 100-200 rounds through it and try to break 'er in!

I really like this gun so far. It IS somewhat bulky, however I like it, it fits very nicely in my hand. So far what I don't like is that the grips are extremely slippery, and there are no aftermarket accessory grips available that the shop knew of. I'm thinking a slip over type grip might work. Other than that, it seems damn near equal to my dad's glock 9mm IMO...

Last edited by snrusnak; 12-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 PM

get some 3M safety walk from lowes or home depot and put it on the grips. Skate board tape also works very nicely.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM

http://youtu.be/oQgLmQl1zDw
decent video on grip.

http://youtu.be/ysa50-plo48
heres another.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the tips. What is safety walk?

The biggest complaints I see on these guns are that they are ugly (Seriously? who cares first of all, and IMO it looks fine), they are heavy/bulky (I can see why they say this and IMO I would not use this as a carry weapon, but otherwise it's great and it actually fits my large hands well), and they are difficult to take apart (from what I saw on youtube they are very easy actually....the catch is you need to punch out a pin so you need some "tools". Really it takes like 5 seconds though, although I guess if you don't have anything to get the pin out it'd be a PITA).

My plan is to do something with the grips, get 2 10 round magazines, and polish the feed ramp as that seems to be the biggest culprit for jambs with them....I've tried to do a lot of research on them and they seem to be pretty good as long as you clean them and take care of them. Many of the issues seem to be due to user error. Even my dad's glock, Ruger, and Browning Arms jamb from time to time.