DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red/ Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
BJPUSMC is on a distinguished road

I own the Hi-Point 45 and had it for a few years now. Like alot of people have said, it depends on what you are looking for. Personnally love it just to go to the range and shoot. It is a big and heavy gun and will admit after shooting it for an hour my arms do get tired. But the weight and size does have an advantage. The recoil is very manageble for a 45 but most importantly the kick is to the rear and slightly up which means that is falls right back onto target very quickly after firing ready for the next shot. I can get a very nice rapid fire grouping with it with minimal effort. I have never had any mechanical issues or misfires that were not ammo related. But at the same time, it will never be a weapon that I will carry around.

For someone looking for a low cost but dependable range gun, then yes, I would definatley recommend it.

And just for those who would question my credibility, I also own a Colt 1911, Ruger and Gloc for my 45's. That doesnt include any of my 9mms, 40s, 38 or rifles. Oh, and by the way, I am also Marine Corps Major on my 5th combat tour with plenty of real world experience.

Hope that helps

USMC Pilot
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I have found online that most of the jamming issues are due to the magazines, not the guns themselves. There's some info and videos on how to modify the magazine s to "fix" this. I'm not going to do it unless I have issues though.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

I usually put 500 rounds through a pistol before making a opinion the recoil spring should loosen up a bit and make the slide easier to pull back. Also keep it oiled as running it dry will cause issues or it could cause issues.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^Thanks. I actually did not shoot today like I wanted, something came up and had to head home right after work. I may go one day this weekend, we'll see. Will post some more feedback of how it's shooting after I get some more rounds through it.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I put another 50 rounds through it last night, no problems at all My groupings were about twice as tight as the first 50 rounds, at 20 ft (the range won't allow shooting any closer). I don't like this range, once my free days are up I'll go elsewhere. I'm glad I got the 9mm and not the .38 the ammunition seems to be much less expensive.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 PM

I just want to (sort of) keep this updated. I've got about 400-500 rounds through my hi point c9 so far, cleaned it once (after last time I shot it) and it has yet to have a single problem. I am very happy so far. I just ordered and received two more magazines (10 rounds). The regular magazine is 8 rounds. I don't really care about the capacity, but it just fits my hand better:

Going skeet shooting for the first time saturday morning with a friend, probably will also shoot this gun.

I honestly can't find one problem or one thing wrong with the gun. I'm no expert or super enthusiast but I am fairly intelligent (or at least I like to think so ) and I don't see why people bash hi point, they are amazing value. Yes I've been around glock, ruger, browning arms, etc... I honestly see hardly a difference if any...

I've put 400-500 rounds through my hi point without issue. I've shot about 50-100 rounds through my friends and familys' rugers, glocks, and browning arms and they've all jambed about 1 or 2 times. All semi auto's will jamb from time to time, I really think the quality of all of these guns is ~equal.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM

Glad your still happy with it.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Me too

I appreciate all your (and others) honest and unbiased input, it really helped me when I was trying to decide what to do.

I'm thinking of getting another. I want to get a Ruger LCR .22. Looks like a nice gun, it's also an 8 shooter which seems to be rare for a revolver. Would be a nice carry gun.

I think I've caught the "gun fever"...

Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Lol gun fever I stay with it. There is no cure just temporary relief.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM

I had my first issue with the gun today. Luckily it is not actually an issue with the gun, but it is the magazines. I have about maybe 600 or 700 rounds through it now, and absolutely no issues at all. So today was the first time shooting with the new 10 round magazines I ordered (2 of them). So I shoot 8 rounds with the standard magazine(8 round capacity) and all is fine. Then I load up the 10 round magazine and after a few rounds it jambs. Clear it and a few rounds then another jamb. Switch to the other 10 round magazine and a few rounds then jamb. Clear it then jamb. So I get frustrated and start thinking "what a POS". Then I revert back to the original 8 round magazine and fire about 100 rounds without issue. Then I try a 10 round magazine and jamb, jamb, jamb, every couple rounds.

So something is up with those magazines, I need to figure out what it is. I was very relieved it's not actually the gun though...