DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road
Default Scanguage

I've inserted "scanguage" into the search function in various ways into the search function and got no hits. Anyone use a ScanGuage on the 4th Gen hemi ram? I've used the MSD Dashawk monitor and scantool on two of my GM vehicles and almost wouldn't operate a vehicle anymore without such a monitor...especially when towing. I really rely on the more precise coolant temp and trans temp functions. I've looked on the ScanGuage site, but I can't really tell about the tranny temp function. When I hook up my Dashawk, I don't get a trans temp...but my Dashawk is an '07 model.

Well, bottom line...anyone try a ScanGuage on a late Ram?
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I haven't, but my EVIC has the trans temp digital gauge, that's good enough for me. Some higher end models have the oil temp digital gauge as well. The dash coolant gauge IMO is good enough for me as well. I do agree and think trans temp is a must for a truck.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I haven't, but my EVIC has the trans temp digital gauge, that's good enough for me. Some higher end models have the oil temp digital gauge as well. The dash coolant gauge IMO is good enough for me as well. I do agree and think trans temp is a must for a truck.
That sounds promising. I think if the EVIC has a readout for it, I'd bet the OBDII port will provide it for a ScanGuage. It would still be great to hear if anyone is using one with trans temp available on our later Rams.

I would normally have thought that most dash coolant temp guages would be sufficient, but when I got the MSD Dashawk I got a surprise. At the optimum operating temp on the two Chevy's coolant dash guages that I have on late model Chevys, a tiny incremental change in the dash guage can actually be about 20 degrees on the digital readout on my Dashawk. My dash guages don't give much warning of building heat, and I'm not too fond of that. You're almost overheating before my current dash guages really give much indication. I really like these real-time digital systems like the Dashawk, ScanGuage, etc. They really let you know what's going on with your vehicle, and you can configure them in some optional ways to suit your needs. Plus, it's great having a professional scantool operating all the time for diagnostics and clearing codes. But then, I've always been an anal geek about things like that...LOL!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Hopefully you get it figured out.

EDIT: wrong info posted.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 12-13-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree, but IMO you will get the same readout through the OBDII port on a scangauge as at the dash, because all the gauges on modern vehicles are electronic anyway, so they will react the same/same timing, etc...as your scangauge will be getting the same exact signal that the dash gets; as in it's not a "better" or "quicker" signal. The biggest benefit to digital is you can see minor changes that are hard to see on a needle...The more the better though, I often use my superchips gauges to moniter IAT, load, O2's, etc...

Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I agree, but IMO you will get the same readout through the OBDII port on a scangauge as at the dash, because all the gauges on modern vehicles are electronic anyway, so they will react the same/same timing, etc...as your scangauge will be getting the same exact signal that the dash gets; as in it's not a "better" or "quicker" signal. The biggest benefit to digital is you can see minor changes that are hard to see on a needle...The more the better though, I often use my superchips gauges to moniter IAT, load, O2's, etc...
Not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing on the dash guage issue. That needle is still an analog device...isn't it? I know it's getting an eletronic signal through the ECM, but that final device we're actually seeing has a mechanical aspect to it...doesn't it? I used a bourdon(?) tube mechanical guage on my old '89 Jimmy 4X4 for the same reason...truer, quicker coolant temp readout. I know I like that ability to see a one degree change in that temp at critical times. No, I'm not constantly driving down the road with one eye on the tranny and engine temp readouts on my Dashawk...LOL!...but at those critical points where temps start building, it's nice to see how fast and how high, so that you can react if necessary.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM

^You are right, the needle is mechanical, so the electronic gauge should be more accurate...although still I'd say the mechanical should be very close at least for years until it gets old...