DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
Zlow28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
The butt dyno myth's are in full effect around here!
no butt dyno here. He sand dragged his blazer, therefore, he based everything off his times and numbers. The reason hes going back to flowmaster, is because its cheaper than most others (where he lives), and he doesnt race anymore (its is weekend toy now).
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2011, 03:32 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:72
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Ther`s a good reason why they call flowmaster the "slowmaster"
You`ll loose ALOT of back pressure with flowmaster mufflers
Magnaflow will win hands down over the "slowmaster"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

I have always said anything is better than stock. The Flo's will free up a few ponies and of course give better sound. Everyone has their preference in mufflers, cat back syatems, true duals, y pipe, x pipe, etc. etc.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunkshuss View Post
Ther`s a good reason why they call flowmaster the "slowmaster"
You`ll loose ALOT of back pressure with flowmaster mufflers
Magnaflow will win hands down over the "slowmaster"
Maybe I'm missing something here. Aren't the more popular FM's chambered mufflers? I've been under the impression that chambered mufflers don't flow as well as the popular straight-through designs from Magnaflow, Borla, etc. Seems it would be hard for an FM to lose more "back pressure" than a Mag that's flowing in more uninterrupted manner. While some back pressure in an exhaust system is indeed beneficial, I would think the exhaust pipe sizes and the fact that both cylinder banks mix in one muffler would provide all the beneficial back pressure needed. The biggest knock I see on this forum from folks who've used FM's seem more related to in-cab noise.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:72
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here. Aren't the more popular FM's chambered mufflers? I've been under the impression that chambered mufflers don't flow as well as the popular straight-through designs from Magnaflow, Borla, etc. Seems it would be hard for an FM to lose more "back pressure" than a Mag that's flowing in more uninterrupted manner. While some back pressure in an exhaust system is indeed beneficial, I would think the exhaust pipe sizes and the fact that both cylinder banks mix in one muffler would provide all the beneficial back pressure needed. The biggest knock I see on this forum from folks who've used FM's seem more related to in-cab noise.
Lets lay it to rest and let somebody do a test to see who is right.
I`ll bet on the magnaflow, you go with the flowmaster.
Same vehicle, test both, and see which is the truth.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I think youve got them mixed up. A chambered exhaust looks kinda like straight pipes. These dont have much restriction as a regular muffler, and will sound pretty loud. A muffler on the other hand, will have more restriction cus theres all kinds of stuff inside them(depending on the type). I dont have any pics, but ive got a GMMG chambered exhaust in my camaro, IMHO, it sounds better than any other exhaust ive heard with camaros.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM

Zlow, again, maybe I'm wrong...but isn't a chambered muffler "not" a straight-through style muffler. I thought a Mag and Borla for example were straight-through style mufflers. Looking on the FM site, I see that most of their popular mufflers seem to have chambers that break up the exhaust flow. Now, as Rambunkshuss suggests, one cannot really qualify any power increase without a bonafide dyno comparison, but one would think the straight-through design "might" offer a slight increase. Still, it was the in-cab noise issue that I mentioned that you see mentioned as a negative on the FM occasionally. As I said in my other post, that might be pickup related. A chambered muffler under a pickup bed, and a pickup not having as much sound deadening material might be the cause of some of those complaints. And I'll admit to not knowing every FM muffler out there. Surely there is/are straight-through mufflers in their lineup. Most that have been mentioned on this site are the chambered models, but I'm sure some are straight-through.

Rambunkshuss, I didn't qualify the FM's or the Mags as superior in the performance department. I only asked the question in the form of an impression, at I stated. I think it's clear that I would go with your bet that the straight-through design mufflers like Mag, Borla, and others would produce more power. That's what I went with...a 19" Borla...so no, I won't take the FM's...LOL! I was more curious about the back pressure issue. I just speculate that a chambered FM would produce more back pressure than a straight-through design. Again, it will take all manner of testing to prove anything beyond what a friendly debate will prove here. Here's a shot of my Borla which has 1-in-2-out straight-through design like a Mag I have on another vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Borla 2.jpg (125.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 AM

Chambered exhausts look kinda like glasspacks from the outside. Check out GMMG exhausts. Those are chambered. Flowmasters have the muffler type thing and those are all different from the inside. Most of them have an inlet leading inside the muffler, then they have the outlet, where gasses travel out of. Others are similar to chambered, like the borla xr1, and most magnaflows ive seen. They have a one pipe used as both inlet and outlet. So since theyre all very different, its kinda hard to tell whats what. Maybe were both right or wrong
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM

I don't know, Zlow...here's a link to a Summit Racing description for muffler designs. It seems like any muffler that has the gas flow being interrupted by plates redirecting the flow may be called a chambered muffler...which kind of sounds like it fits the name. At first when I was muffler shopping I was going with an FM and studied their site and talked to a tech. I think he suggested a 50 series for what I wanted. The 40's, 50's, and some other series on their site refer to them as chambered. They show a pic of how many chambers the muffler has and then refer to them as 2 or 3 chambered mufflers. FM has some straight-through mufflers, but it seems most of the ones talked about on the forum may be chambered.

On that Summit muffler description I learned something new...and maybe not always adhered by the muffler manufacturers. They classify a turbo muffler as having an "S" path or some kind of snake in the exhaust flow. It's still fairly uninterrupted, but it is not exactly straight-through...probably a slight sound reduction. However, I notice even Borla has many of their "Turbo" series mufflers with a pic that clearly shows a straight-through design. I'm thinking that the term "Turbo" may be loosely applied as it's compared to Summit's more strict description.

For general purposes, I think many refer to any muffler that has no noticeable plate or serious redirection of the exhaust gases as a straight-through muffler. And in the case of the 1-in-2-out Mags and Borlas, they basically seem straight-through, as you have to have a slight bend to get to the twin outlets. You can still see daylight from one end to the other, so maybe that's the main criteria.

And please...don't take my discussion here as being argumentative. As with any discussion involving descriptions and terms used in component design, it's not always an exact science.

http://www.summitracing.com/expertad...ose-a-Muffler/
Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 PM

lol dont worry, no arguing here. I saw summits link, and youre right, they do have them listed as under chamber exhausts. But as i said, maybe some people call them different names. Here's a few links to some sites that call them chambered exhaust.
http://gmmginc.net/Exhaust/
http://www.sweet-thunder.com/2008_2010_challenger.html
http://www.classicchambered.com/
http://madhammer.com/pages/mad_hamme...2-02_cama.html

and even though some of these websites might look a little skeptical, ive had good experiences with 1 of them, and heard nothing but good reviews from the rest.
Maybe theres no real definiton of chambered exhausts