DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 2wd express
Trim Level: 1500 express
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bobhorn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bobhorn
Cool how to stop trans from downshifting

I havn't seen this issue addressed.
My 011 hemi Express revs too high in all the lower
gears under normal stoplight driving.
I'm sure its designed to go to 2500-3,000 RPM
But Why can't I short shift it like a stick shift?
It is a high torke enging, certinly more low end grunt
than my old Toyo X-Runner, yet it pulled easily 1200-1800
and save plenty of gas too
Dam I'm gonna put in a Manual 6 speed stick!
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4x2
Color: mineral grey
Rep:10
LeroyJaxson is on a distinguished road

Yes the truck would be perfect with the manual transmission.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep blue pearl
Rep:33
L0G1K is on a distinguished road

I too was a bit disapointed when I noticed the nice console shifter with manual mode doesn't alow you to upshift gears.

I can do it with my Ford E-450 at work in the first 3 gears, I can even start in 3rd gear if I want to.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Yes, ERS (Electronic Range Select) allows you to limit the top gear, but doesn't let you hold it in a higher gear (prevent downshifts). The only way I know to limit downshifts (on throttle tip-ins) is to just not step into the throttle as much.

In normal driving, you can often trigger an upshift by simply backing out of the throttle for a couple seconds. There is hysteresis built into the shift schedules, so if you tip out and get an upshift, you can usually tip back in (after the shift completes) without making it downshift. You have to go kinda easy, and learn by experience how far you can tip into it without generating a downshift.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I sure hope the transmission in the 2013 Rams are much better

I am saving up for the 8 speed ZF designed transmission, similar to what is now in the Chrysler 200s
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM

TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I sure hope the transmission in the 2013 Rams are much better

I am saving up for the 8 speed ZF designed transmission, similar to what is now in the Chrysler 200s
Actually the ZF 8-speed trans is in the (RWD) Chrysler 300 (and Dodge Charger), but only with the V6 engine. The Chrysler 200 is a FWD model, so it doesn't use the ZF trans.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Having come from Hemi's with standard transmissions, I 'was' disappointed when I got my 2010 with the automatic on how long it stayed in a gear before upshifting, and did not like the fact that I could not force an upshift.

Fast forward to 1-1/2 years later; I am completely OK with the shift schedule. As the gear ratios in the auto trans are less then optimal, the high engine RPM's make up for this a lot, and familiarity with the trans has gone a long way to improving the driving experience.

I look forward to checking out the ZF trans when it finds a home in the Ram to see how/if the gear ratios are better suited to the heavy towing that I do. Until then, with the addition of the Sonnax line pressure booster, I am quite happy with the trans right now.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^I agree, I was pretty disappointed with the auto after driving manuals for the past 5 years or so. This is really the first auto I've had as my own vehicle, the other auto I had was a 3 speed auto, that would hold whatever gear you put it into, so it might as well have been a manual without a clutch. Just like Brad said though after a year later I'm much more comfortable with it, and although I prefer a manual and wish it was there, I'm ok with the auto, and the more I actually learn about the trans and get familiar with it, the more I like it. Auto just plain isn't fun to drive though, no doubt about that. I read a lot of people complaining about the "crappy" transmissions, but from my experience and those around me with these trucks they are great transmissions, I've made friends with a few 3rd gen hemi's with 545rfe's on the drag strip every couple weekends for years that go over 100,000 miles and never have a problem, even with mods and eliminating TM, and so on. I bet if you drive normal the trans would outlast the truck and engine. I have one friend that just absolutely hammers his cars, he had a 3rd gen that went over 100,000 without a single issue then sold it, and now has the RT and has had no issues with it as well, and he runs that even harder. IMO chrysler just got a bad name transmission wise in the 90's and people can't let it go. If there was one "bad" thing for me to pick on the 545rfe it would be the less than optimum gear ratios on the lower gears, but still it's really not that bad. I often wish I had the 2500 hemi trans in my truck, I think it's the 68rfe...and I think it has better ratios throughout.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
.... I often wish I had the 2500 hemi trans in my truck, I think it's the 68rfe...and I think it has better ratios throughout.
Actually in 2012 DJ (2500) models, the automatic is the 66RFE. The 68RFE goes behind the diesel engine. But the geartrains are identical between the 66RFE and 68RFE, so the gear ratios are indeed different than the 1500 models.

This brings up an interesting question: How many of you would prefer the 66RFE over the current 65RFE (for the 1500 models)? Maybe someone could start a poll question on this. Here are the critical specs:

65RFE:
1st = 3.000
2nd = 1.667
2nd prime = 1.500
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.750
5th = 0.667
Reverse = -3.000

66RFE:
1st = 3.231
2nd = 1.837
3rd = 1.410
4th = 1.000
5th = 0.816
6th = 0.625
Reverse = -4.444

The geartrain in the 66RFE costs significantly more than that in the 65RFE (it is much more durable), so a 66RFE trans would probably cost more (maybe $250, but that's just a wild guess). But given the option (65RFE as standard, or 66RFE as a $250 option), which would you choose?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^^^ I would choose the 66rfe! Especially for $250! I've even been contemplating after my truck is over 100,000 trying to swap it in, and that would probably cost me over $1,000 out of pocket. Adding $250 to a loan when buying a truck is like adding pennies, it's nothing.

Better first gear for starting out, better (more evenly distributed) gearing throughout, and better final gear for highway. You could run 4.56's and still get good mpg.

EDIT: Hopefully someone will start a poll, I don't know how to...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.