DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of
Default Tsb 18-023-11

Anyone have some in depth information on this TSB?
I had an RRT for driveability done awhile back (will get the RRT#) and ever since I've had a whack of different shift, shuddering and other minor issues with the Ram. Since winter arrived up here and I've been driving a whole bunch in 4WD Auto the transmission has been acting up like it got a dose of crack. Hard shifts, strange downshifts, vibrations while accelerating the list does go on.
Anyhow, long story short I took it in for a service this morning and gave my long list of complaints to the service writer. They had the truck all day and I was starting to sweat a little thinking the worst for big red. I finally get the call from the service writer and he says all fixed! All she needed was some new software. Low and behold I have my truck back!!! She drives like she should again. I am one happy camper!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Looks like TSB 18-023-11 is a PCM reflash to correct a number of different issues. Here are the details:

SUBJECT: Flash: MIL Illumination And Driveability And Transmission Shifting Improvements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS: 2011 RAM 1500 (DS), 2500 (DJ), 3500 CAB Chassis (DD), and Dakota (ND)

Service Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 4.7L or 5.7L engine, a 545RFE or 42RLE transmission, and built before February 1, 2011 (MDH 0201XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Some customers may notice any of the following:

MIL Illumination
Technician may find that the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) have been set:
a. P2096 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Lean (5.7L engine).
b. P2097 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Rich (5.7L engine)
c. P2098 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Lean (5.7L engine)
d. P2099 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Rich (5.7L engine)

Driveability Improvements:
a. Engine seems to lacks power at high RPM (5.7L and 4.7L engine).
b. Shudder or shake condition on wide open throttle stab during downshift event (5.7L and 4.7L engines).
c. EVAP Diagnostic Enhancements. This diagnostic routine will be disabled while the vehicle is in decel fuel shut off mode (3.7L/4.7L engines only).
d. Audible knock sound on WOT launchs (DJ/DD 5.7L engine only).

Transmission Improvements:
a. High engine RPM's needed before vehicle will upshift from 3rd to 4th (5.7L and 4.7L engines).
b. Harsh 1-2 upshift (5.7L and 4.7L engines).
c. Unexpected or busy downshift while coasting between 45-48 mph (DS 5.7L engine only)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Thanks!!!
I will say this, with this flash done my Ram drives fantastic, it's back to being the beast it was off the lot. I have my new truck smile back!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

I had the Driveability done back in the summer also. Hadnt had any problems except a few harsh 1-2 shifts....kinda out of no where too. But it felt like my transmission was gonna drop....HA. The next day it will be fine then maybe go back to harsh shifting maybe not. May take mine in also, these flashes are getting old tho
Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Like candy08 says, these flash`s are gettin old, meening, people are getting sick and tired of having to run to the dealer more often than really nessessary just to get the truck to run right again. (way to often as a matter of fact) We pay ALOT more for a vehicle today than 20yrs ago, but it seems we are at the dealer for repairs alot more often than 20yrs ago. What happen to the days when you bought a new truck, ran it for 200,000+ miles and never saw the dealer once until you were ready to buy a new truck again. Whats that old saying, LESS IS MORE...! Maybe we should go back to our past and see where we went wrong. I guess people try to reinvent the wheel to be more round.
But anyhow...
How many times are we going to have to have these trucks reflashed in the life of the truck. I totally agree with candy08, its just rediculous in my opinion too...! Lets say a person keeps their truck 10 or 15 or even 20yrs, what happens when you cant get them reflashed anymore due to them being too old, and the dealership says ther are no more flashs available from the manufactuer, so, do we just throw the truck away thats only 5 or 6 yrs old and buy a brand new truck...? I dont think so... i KNOW i cant buy another new truck again, i cant afford it and neither can most the people out there. With all this GREAT technology today, they cant even build a better truck that can go past 50,000 miles without being back in for HUGE major repairs.

(just more fuel to add to the fire)
And not to mention, what good is a warranty if it gets used against you. To me and probably ALOT of others, warranty`s are eye candy, the more they offer, the better it looks to the buyer, and a sellers point to make a boat load of money off from the customer, but when it comes time that you need to use it...POOF, what warranty...!(not to confuse the small minded, i`m talkin about the price you pay for EXTENDED warranties, because the factory warranty is basically garbage)

Ok, end of rant...lol
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

Where we went wrong encompasses a whole lot of factors, including the government and all the emission standards. I for one love computers, building electronics, programming etc.. However I do feel these cars are getting out of control with the various systems on board. I mean we don't even start our vehicle, the computer starts it, and I don't like asking permission from something that can go haywire one day if I wanna drive....
Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
royw is on a distinguished road

As long as my truck doesn't say something like:

"I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you"
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royw View Post
As long as my truck doesn't say something like:

"I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you"
AMEN to THAT brother...!!!!!! lol lol lol
The day that happens to me, i`m loadin the shotgun and kill my truck....lol
Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is the computers that run our trucks, we must have about 6 of them

The government tells auto manufacturers that they must get better fuel mileage
so they make things lighter, you don't want to look inside the 2011 differential, it is 40 pounds lighter that the same one in the 2009s, less bolts, more welded parts, etc
next there will not be a spare tire, just a patch kit & an plastic air compressor

Chrysler started in 1970s vehicles with the first computers & a shadetree mechanic won't be able to do much in another couple years
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
Where we went wrong encompasses a whole lot of factors, including the government and all the emission standards. I for one love computers, building electronics, programming etc.. However I do feel these cars are getting out of control with the various systems on board. I mean we don't even start our vehicle, the computer starts it, and I don't like asking permission from something that can go haywire one day if I wanna drive....
I`m with ya my good friend, i`m with ya.
Its definately out of control... too much to go wrong, (and does..!) costs the consumer dearly.
Even the prices for these trucks today is way outta control..!!!!