DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion > Kills and More Kills

Notices

Kills and More Kills Fictional stories about how you may have smoked another car or truck with your Ram on or off the track! - Keep safe out there!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default My experience today

I was on my way home and when I was stopped at a stop sign an older looking GMC Sierra passed by and gunned it trying to show off his exhaust I guess. Anyway, I ended up pulling out behind him and we got stopped by a red light. We were both turning right so when he went he gunned it with his loud exhaust trying to look cool and I went out behind him a second or so later and ended up flying past him before I even got up to 60 MPH. I thought it was funny because he was actually trying to show off how fast his truck was and I was barely hitting the gas and I blew him away. Then he got behind me and tried to swerve past me but I was turning off to get to my neighborhood. When I was younger I would have kept on going just to show him what was up! lol
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Man, I tell ya...my new truck is going to get me into trouble too. Just yesterday this dork in a Chevy pickup came up beside me with loud exhaust and gunned it when he was going by me. So being dorky too, I stepped on it at only about half throttle and just blew by him like he was tied to a pole. The truly funny thing was that he had loud dual exhaust, but it was obviously a 6-cylinder engine, as you could tell by that funky 6-cylinder dual exhaust note. I felt bad...and a bit stupid...but this truck sort of brings that out in a person. It almost makes you feel like a kid out hotrodding again.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

What amazes me is the guys who don't know much about cars and trucks.
Example: The other day a dude in an 03 to maybe an 05 Malibu with a 4 cylinder (just like my 82 yr old mother's) tried to mess with me. Maybe he didn't see HEMI on the side. Well I didn't waste my gas on him, but got a good laugh.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Red
Rep:23
Voc1 is on a distinguished road

People have some weird ideas about vehicles and speed.

Ride a motorcycle for any length of time and you are guaranteed to get people in all sorts of absurd vehicles trying to race you. From giant behemoth dually trucks to prius(es) and everything in between. It is like the concept of "power to weight ratio" is completely lost on them. I've never understood it.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
FireWire is on a distinguished road

I have many similar experiences on my bike.
This fall I was cruising along on a paved rural road at about 110 kmh.
I noticed some 20ish kid behind me in a Beemer.
He was waiting for a chance to pass.
He passed me as expected and kept accelerating. I just stayed behind him until he got up to 160 or so.
I then blew passed him just before a nice curve and left him far behind.
I love doing that kind of stuff!
I haven't really had a run with anyone in my truck yet. The opportunity hasn't come up yet. I don't waste my time with Civics with 4" tailpipes.

Hey, this makes me want to start a thread of bike and Ram pictures.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I get lots of looks when i am on or in either of my rides, both are some what unique

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
erm

It's those damn prius drivers that make me laugh sometimes...they think they can be sooooo fast....then they pull in front of you and slow down...wayyyy down...that's when ALL my lights go on ... hehehehehehe

Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I have many similar experiences on my bike.
It is really really weird how that happens. Even a 'slow' bike is rocketship by car standards, but everyone thinks they can race a bike no matter what they are riding. Very puzzling.

Quote:
Hey, this makes me want to start a thread of bike and Ram pictures.
Good idea! I'd drag the bike out next to the truck for a pic if you make that thread!

Yankee: great truck and loving the old trike! Very cool!! That's an old shovelhead isn't it? Any more info on it?? Looks like a neat build!

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
It's those damn prius drivers that make me laugh sometimes...they think they can be sooooo fast.
You can't help but laugh sometimes! I had a guy at a gas station once when I was gassing up my old bike tell me this big long tale of his "street racing" experiences with his Prius! He actually told me with a straight face how "electric motors make more torque" so a Prius was a "serious sleeper" at a stoplight. lol

Last edited by Voc1; 12-19-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:15
v8440 is on a distinguished road

Bikes are (on average) so superior in power/weight ratio that some bike riders think a bike can't be beat in a drag race by a car. It is those guys that sometimes get pimp slapped by reality, and it's fun to watch. A buddy of mine delivered a heaping helping of reality with his '80 malibu to the rider of some type of crotch rocket a few years ago. The guy actually stated that "a bike can't be beat".

Steve then proceeded to show that not only can a bike be beaten by a car, but it was going to happen right then. The really funny part is, Steve got a little out of the groove, with one tire off the road in the dirt, got it back on again, sprayed it, and THEN rolled on by homeboy. We never saw the expression on the bike rider's face as he just kept on riding. We never saw him again. That was in about 2007, and as far as I know he's still riding.

DO NOT EVER make the mistake of thinking a bike can't be beaten by a car in a drag race. I don't care if it's a Hayabusa, somebody has a car that will hand the bike it's ass. It's not that hard to do. Get a car that can generate some 60 foot times in the 1.5 second or quicker range and you're likely to do it. Most rear drive domestics are capable of 1.5's or better with stock style suspensions and slicks. Some will do it with drag radials.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

A given bike can absolutely get beaten by a car....it's just rare.

A honda gold wing (!) will run a quarter in 13.5 or so. And while that is freaking glacial for a motorcycle, in the car world that is pretty decently fast. And yes, there are quick/fast cars out there, but they are much more rare and highly built to reach what is a pedestrian rate of speed for a common bike.

Even crappy little fart can/beehive sounding 650 crotch rockets nowadays run in the 11's, the 650 ninja being a good example. Yes, 650's. Liter bikes are all in the 9's or 10's. Those are pretty absurdly quick times by 4 wheel standards...especially when you start looking at the cost.

So yes, bikes can be beaten by cars in quickness/speed. But very, very rarely, and much, much more expensively.