DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:64
BiGDawG will become famous soon enough
Default Front end issues..

ever since i got the truck the front end has been a lil weird, she'll drif off once and awhile at first it wasent bad but now its been almost a year and has gotten way worse, i've had the front end checked out by 3 diff shops 1 tried to tell me my sway bar was bent and needed replaced before they could let me leave and they wanted 600 + dollars i laughed at em jumped in my truck drover it out of there bay and left, second place told me there's nothing wrong but i may have a wheel bearing going out of the pass side, 3rd place told me there's nothing wrong with my front end. was talking to my brother in law hes a mechanic he said it could be my steering gear box so i bought 1 used from a junk yard i know and truck i been doing business with them for a long time and we went to put it on but it has a new pitment arm on it but its not the same as mine so i figured it came off a 4x4.. is there a way to switch them? or my dad seems to think the steering gear box has an adjustment but i don't see where or how you could do that..

forgot to mention not 1 of these places drove my truck down the road they just look at the front end in there garage, my brother in law did drive it, my steering wheel is a lil loose to you can turn a bit before it catches

Last edited by BiGDawG; 12-10-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

If the truck is running...how much play is in the box??

If you put a piece of tape on the wheel at 12:00. Where does it catch?

Is the box you picked up a Saginaw box? Just an FYI if you check on Car-Part.com and fill in the search fields, you can get an idea of the interchange for your vehicle.

The Saginaw box has a set screw in the top. What you have to do is back the nut off with an open end wrench and while holding it, snug up the center adjustment, then re-torque the outer nut.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 PM

uhh not sure what you mean by saginaw box.. heres some pictures

close to 1 and close to 11 it looks like..

don't mind my dash i didnt get all the armor all off so i have to re do it lol, also while off topic in ur avatar is ur truck flat black?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Former Senior Member

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Yep, that's a Saginaw. One of the interchangeable ones from Chevy to Dodge. In the first picture I can see the adjuster.

The plate with the 4 bolts (upside-down in 1st photo) has that extra nut sticking out of it. Look in the center of the nut and there should be an allen bolt.

That's what's adjusted. Wrench on the outside to break it loose, then turn the set (allen) in the center.

With the amount of movement on the steering wheel (it's a lot more when driving actually) about 1/3 play from extreme to extreme, about 11:00 to 1:00 it's like steering a small boat.

Anyway, try some adjustment on the one you have, but I'm guessing that it'll just tighten the box and still have play.

See how much play is in the new-er box. Spin the splined shaft that the intermediate shaft to the column goes on and watch for the pitman arm to move. Watch the flat section just as you did the wheel. Anything less than 1/3 play would be an improvement.

That one actually looks like it came off a GM so you'll have to use your end on the splined steering shaft.

Not sure but that pittman arm looks like it's off a 4x4 with a 3" lift.

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-10-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 PM

alright, now with the pittman is that pressed on? we tried to remove it so we could use the 1 off mine but no luck, also for the splined end how would i change that?

sorry for all the questions first time changing 1 lol and thanks for the help

Last edited by BiGDawG; 12-10-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Former Senior Member

Pittman arm puller.

They're about $15. Google pittman arm puller under images to get an idea what it looks like...then try to remember where you saw one and go borrow it.

I just Googled it to make sure and there's tons of pictures.

Here's a hint so you don't snap one of the ears off the puller. Once you get some tension on the puller (couple turns) tap the side of the pittman arm where it slides on to get it to pop off.

If you search the photos of the puller, your bound to see one with someone doing it.

Or you can just look at the one I found for you with both, lol.

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-10-2011 at 11:52 PM.