DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 "Big Red"
Trim Level: SLE
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
RatRam is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the responses. I think at the moment ima keep my eye out for a 4500 man and try it. Dont wanna pay $700 to rebuild this thing as i only paid 1k for the truck lol.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRam View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I think at the moment ima keep my eye out for a 4500 man and try it. Dont wanna pay $700 to rebuild this thing as i only paid 1k for the truck lol.
Well when ever you buy something around that price next time expect that it will need some sort of repairs in the near future. Anyway's regardless of what you paid if you can fix the truck for even 500 bucks and it has a blue book value of say 2500 (Not sure what the market valve is) then it is a worthy investment and besides if you rebuild the transmission the truck would be worth even more because of that. But it's up to you and it sounds like you made your choice. But run these figures in your head just so you know what to expect on any GOOD rebuild. I know these prices because like said I just ordered all these parts a couple weeks ago and been sitting on them until school ends.

Alto Frictions and Koleen Steels for a 46RH - 196.00
Standard Raybestos Reverse Band - 38 Bucks
Front Flex Band BW - 15.00
VB Sep Plate 95 - 31
OD/TCC Sol - 33
Neutral Safe Sw- 4.88
Overhaul Kit - 58
Filter - 5.99
Tor Converter - anywhere from 100 to 300 for an acceptable one
12 quarts of ATF+4 expect to pay around 50 bucks
Forward Clutch Cusion - 1.50
3-4 Spring 2.60
Bushing Kit - 32
OD Housing Seal - 6.99
U-Joints x2 - 25.00
transjel - 5.99

this is just the basic parts to rebuild the transmission then the tools

shop press - 100-150
trans jack - 100
ply wood - 3.00
snap ring pliars kit - 20-30

you can just get that pro king rebuild kit it will do fine but you should first gets your hands on what you need so smarter to crack open that tranny and inspect it, for all you know the frictions and steels can be in acceptable condition. you also might want to crack it open because you could have damaged hard parts one part that i found to be broken in the OD unit is the OD hub. usually the planet is chewed however it depends on the year because their was a modification to the planet and spring plate and bearing back in 1992 ish i don't remember exactly what year, but since you have a 1995 then you're safe. if you weren't in LV I would be more then happy to rebuild it for you or with you for that matter. or you can send it to me and i can rebuild it for you. i already have another person inline to have me rebuild their tranny.

stay away from the junk yard transmissions, those transmissions are only good for practice with rebuilding. majority of those transmissions will have case damage usually to the servo bores or the back of the case back of the over running clutch cam. usually the reverse drum wears out the back of the case. sonnax makes a fix for this but requires you to have a mill.

if your transmission doesn't have damage to the hard parts that would require replacement then all you would need is
overhaul kit - 58
bushing kit - 32
vb plate 31
front band 15
rear band 38
cheap frics and steels - around 50
TC - 101.90
misc - ....
so you could rebuild it for around 300-400 bucks in parts. it's cheaper then buying a new one or rebuilt one.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Well when ever you buy something around that price next time expect that it will need some sort of repairs in the near future. Anyway's regardless of what you paid if you can fix the truck for even 500 bucks and it has a blue book value of say 2500 (Not sure what the market valve is) then it is a worthy investment and besides if you rebuild the transmission the truck would be worth even more because of that. But it's up to you and it sounds like you made your choice. But run these figures in your head just so you know what to expect on any GOOD rebuild. I know these prices because like said I just ordered all these parts a couple weeks ago and been sitting on them until school ends.

Alto Frictions and Koleen Steels for a 46RH - 196.00
Standard Raybestos Reverse Band - 38 Bucks
Front Flex Band BW - 15.00
VB Sep Plate 95 - 31
OD/TCC Sol - 33
Neutral Safe Sw- 4.88
Overhaul Kit - 58
Filter - 5.99
Tor Converter - anywhere from 100 to 300 for an acceptable one
12 quarts of ATF+4 expect to pay around 50 bucks
Forward Clutch Cusion - 1.50
3-4 Spring 2.60
Bushing Kit - 32
OD Housing Seal - 6.99
U-Joints x2 - 25.00
transjel - 5.99

this is just the basic parts to rebuild the transmission then the tools

shop press - 100-150
trans jack - 100
ply wood - 3.00
snap ring pliars kit - 20-30

you can just get that pro king rebuild kit it will do fine but you should first gets your hands on what you need so smarter to crack open that tranny and inspect it, for all you know the frictions and steels can be in acceptable condition. you also might want to crack it open because you could have damaged hard parts one part that i found to be broken in the OD unit is the OD hub. usually the planet is chewed however it depends on the year because their was a modification to the planet and spring plate and bearing back in 1992 ish i don't remember exactly what year, but since you have a 1995 then you're safe. if you weren't in LV I would be more then happy to rebuild it for you or with you for that matter. or you can send it to me and i can rebuild it for you. i already have another person inline to have me rebuild their tranny.

stay away from the junk yard transmissions, those transmissions are only good for practice with rebuilding. majority of those transmissions will have case damage usually to the servo bores or the back of the case back of the over running clutch cam. usually the reverse drum wears out the back of the case. sonnax makes a fix for this but requires you to have a mill.

if your transmission doesn't have damage to the hard parts that would require replacement then all you would need is
overhaul kit - 58
bushing kit - 32
vb plate 31
front band 15
rear band 38
cheap frics and steels - around 50
TC - 101.90
misc - ....
so you could rebuild it for around 300-400 bucks in parts. it's cheaper then buying a new one or rebuilt one.

My instructor says that my OD section could have gone boom and everything is fubar. The truck still runs an goes thru 1-3.

Can you tell me what happens with the OD when it blows?

Sorry for all the questions, my school is 8 miles away and i need a friend to tow my truck there till i can drop the trans.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My instructor says that my OD section could have gone boom and everything is fubar. The truck still runs an goes thru 1-3.

Can you tell me what happens with the OD when it blows?

Sorry for all the questions, my school is 8 miles away and i need a friend to tow my truck there till i can drop the trans.
If the transmission stills shifts through all 3 gears then just remove the OD unit from the transmission and rebuild it. That section only takes around an hour to two hours to rebuild and would only require snap ring pliars and a shop press, as far as tools go. Usually when the OD unit dies typically the frictions and steels are worn and warped, sometimes the OD Direct clutch spring will snap however if this spring was to snap. Lastly popular damage is done to the OD planentary BUT most of the OD units with this damage occur to models before 1994 because chrysler changed the design of the planentary by machining a .05" chamfer at 45 degrees this allowed a better lube flow to the planets gears, the OD Spring plate also was changed, it was enlarged and had some beveled cuts to allow lube flow, the bearing was also enlarged to fit. However it is possible that your spring has sprung lol and the friction plates and discs toasted.

If the OD unit was to actually blow then the truck wouldn't move their would be little pieces of OD unit all over the ground.

Oh just something you should do is drop the pan and check the 3-4 shift spring, this spring WILL break sooner or later. Usually when this springs breaks you get a delayed or sluggish shift into 4th, if the spring is completely broke into 3 small pieces you can get a no 4th shift or the OD unit will lock up (happened to me SOB!)

FEEL FREE to ask questions, I prefer that you do because it's better to have some idea of what you're doing before you jump into anything that requires a certain skill level.

Oh about the OD spring, their are two differents versions the OEM aftermarket and a upgrade after market, the upgrade spring isn't taller then the original as it's advertised, the upgrade spring is made of a better heat treatment to prevent breakage. To get a replacement spring only cost around 20-30 bucks last time I checked.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hmm starting to feel better about this. Can you give me a good place to get an OD rebuild and 1-3 (might as well while im there)?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Hmm starting to feel better about this. Can you give me a good place to get an OD rebuild and 1-3 (might as well while im there)?
Well the only place you can find OD units already rebuilt would be on ebay and you would need to send them your old one. Only rebuild the transmission unit it's required, it's a bit of work to remove the transmission and you want to make sure you have your money together thats most important. If you want to you can rebuild the OD yourself I can assist you with photos if needed, since you have a teacher he or she can probably be of assistance. Don't worry about that 800 lb spring that's complained about, you can use just two pieces of 2x4 and a harbor freight shop press to compress that little spring. As for alignment you will need a alignment shaft or you can use the intermediate shaft, this may pose an issue in your case because you won't be able to use your intermediate shaft unless you take apart the transmission or if your instructor has this tool or a intermediate shaft. Those are really the only tools you would need. If you upgrade or replace hardparts or upgrade the frictions and steels to something thicker then original then you will need to do spacer measurements for the spacer shim and the intermediate shaft spacer that is used to align the lube holes in the intermediate shaft to the OD.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, it's mechanical. Pulled my pan (finallly got a day off) and theres metal flakes all up in there.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Green
Doz3r is on a distinguished road

I just rebuilt my 46re. used a company here in corpus christi tx to get the parts, i spent $98 on the rebuild kit, just clutches seals etc, 35 on the torque converter, and then after taking apart i realized my sprag gear bearing had catastrophicly failed, causing damage to the intermediate shaft, the sprag cup, and the plate that bonds the od unit to the transmission. rebuild was a piece of cake if it isnt blown up beyond recognition, just make sure you have a clean shop floor and you should be able to do it about 2-3hrs, i did for my first time ever touching a transmission. as you take everything out, number it, and set it in reverse order on the floor. then, as you clean everything and put it back in, replace the parts you replaced one at a time as you put them in. the overdrive spring was a b*tch, as i did not have a press in my shop any more, but i was able to compress it to take it apart with a large c clamp very easily, and was then able to compress it to put it back together utilizing both a c clamp and a vice. parking lock rod threw me for a loop, the manual will tell you to use a screwdriver, to hold the spring retention part back, and then slide it in, but you will waste 4hrs of a day trying to do it like that. i got mad, loaded it in the truck, and took it to the local trans shop where the tech took aprox 15 seconds to put it in by just rocking the output shaft back and forth while gently sliding it into place. valve body was a little tricky, but the book i got did a fantastic job of explaining it. i paid $29 for mine. the place i used is called transparts wharehouse, they have a website and you can order stuff online, great group of people who are more than willing to help. i can send you the book i used as i no longer need it, so long as you return it. dont fear the rebuild, its easy if you take a methodical approach to teardown.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Where can i get a overdrive rebuild kit? Not a rebuilt section, but a kit to rebuild the OD part.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Where can i get a overdrive rebuild kit? Not a rebuilt section, but a kit to rebuild the OD part.
If you found metal flakes you have to rebuild the whole transmission, replace the torque converter and reverse flush the cooler lines. Metal flakes get impregnated into the friction material, the bands, the reverse clutch cushion and can also cause planentary gear damage. The flakes also contaminate the torque converter which cannot be reverse flushed to remove these large flakes. Don't be cheap and just rebuild the OD because about 400 miles down the road the whole transmission will fail again.