DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Raynval is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension Lift Kits for a 2500

I just bought a 2011 2500 quad 4x4 ST LWB (8' bed) Hemi, after having my older 2 wheel drive version of the same truck get towed out too many times. I race motorcycles off-road and usually have about a thousand pounds of bikes/gear in back, or am pulling a 20' Toyhauler when I am offroad. The truck is a daily driver, but I want a meaner looking truck that'll never get stuck again at the races. I might even take it to Mexico (I'd be racing on two wheels though) or do a rare offroad ride. The only mod so far is I swapped the stock steel wheels of the ST for my polished alum 2010 4x4 17"x8" wheels with 285/70/17 BFG off my last truck (I bought them off a guy hoping they would help my former 2 wheel drive 2500). They look so much better than the stock set-up, but still look too small for this huge truck. The long wheel base also hurts getting over rises (I have had dealers tell me my last two trucks didn't exsist, LWB with Hemi motors).

I started looking for a front leveling kit that would allow me to run 305 or 315x70 on my stock wheels. But after reading a lot, I'm getting the itch for more.

I now want to install a suspension lift, 3"-6", but prefer to keep it as low as possible. I'm leaning toward putting on 35/12.5/17 on the stock 17x8 wheels I already have. After doing research for days, I think I prefer the kits with new progressive coil springs instead of spacers, and want to get as much travel/wheel articulation and durability as possible. I was leaning towards the Kore HP kit. It is about 2.75" front 1" rear, bilsteins and a rear mini leaf pack. It is about a thousand bucks shipped.

Then I started seeing pics of trucks with 37" tires and reading how much better they perform. Man they look good on these big trucks. Should I be concerned with towing? It also sounds like having a kit with extended and/or longer control arms might be more important than the amount of actual lift? Then I thought I should just go for a BDS, or Top Gun Customz 6" long arm kit, new wheels (18x 9or10) and 37" tires, but I just can't really justify that expense with the wife, who already complains it's too hard to get into it now. And, I load stuff all the time, like two big bore KTM fourstrokes I race. I've also read that Carli 3" kits (Starter kit?) will still fit 37" tires.

Can I run 37x12.5x17 on my stock wheels, and whats the lowest lift kit I can get by with? I'm also considering the 3.5" Top Gun kit. I like the level, or still slightly taller in back look, and since I usually tow/or have stuff in back I'm hoping I can find a kit that leaves the rear about an inch taller.

Thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I have seen people fit 37x12.5x17 with just a little bit of rubbing On a stock third gen but it isn't the route I would go
I fit 35x12.5x17 with stock suspension and had a slight rub on the upper control arm, it wasn't that big of a deal except I honestly need that tiny bit of turning radius to get my trailer backed into out cattle shoot( driving this long of a truck I'm sure you understand) so I installed 1.75" wheel adapters
If your lookin for performance the carli kit is the way to go hands down. Kore is also a nice kit and BDS is up there as well. If you go with one of the 3-3.5" kits I would stick with 35,36 tops, I think your performance may suffer with 37
I'm pretty sure with any of these kits your still goin to have a little bit of rubbing on the upper control arm if you keep the stock wheels
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QC LB
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Schmitz is on a distinguished road

I'm running 37s on a 3rd Gen QC LB 4x4 Hemi with a 6 inch lift, factory 4.10 gears and it's not a huge performance difference. I could run either less lift or bigger tires for sure and I'm running stock rims, they barley rub at full lock on the upper control arm.
here's a pic for a rough idea.
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...-44-14_969.jpg
2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 QC LB Hemi, 6 inch lift, 37" Cooper Discoverer STT's, Bully Dog programmer, K&N cold air intake performance throttle body, true duals, debadged.... Soon to come 4.56s and wheels, maybe more lift.
1980 Chevy K20 4x4 9 inches of lift 37" Boggers, 402 BBC, 4 spd, D60, 14ff.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

When I said performance I ment suspensiOn performance not truck performance
With te hemi you might notice a little rolling resistance
Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 AM

Default Still looking.

I found on the Carli site that I would have to buy their Control arms ($700) and Spring pack ($1,040) to make 37" wheels work, with the Starter kit and some shipping, I'd be looking at well over $3k, so Carli is out for me if I go the 37" route.

I like the look of the 37" better, no doubt. But the tires are more expensive, there doesn't seem to be as big of a selection, and the lift required to run them will be more expensive. I can't find any 36" tires for 17" wheels. I'm still split between the 37" route, or the cheaper and much easier 35" route.

If I go 35", I'm just going to order the Kore kit. Kore is also the only company that has answered my email. The kit will be easier to install (no drop Pitman Arm, control arms, track bar or bracket). I might just get their front kit, and a cheaper block set-up in the rear since I usually haul a trailer or have bikes/gear in the back, and could get about a 1.5" block in the back and keep the back a little stiffer and keep the back a bit higher.

I'm starting to think if I go the 37" route, to stop worrying about a couple of inches of extra height and just get a 6" kit. I really didn't want to go up that high (tires and kit will make it 8" higher in front) and I am worried about the extra trouble I hear about like brake line issues, rear drive line issues, stressing the front end, control arm issues (Can't afford a quality Long arm kit and 37" tires) and high center of gravity, etc etc. But I'm starting to lean towards getting the Top Gun 6" kit with Bilstein shocks. I've sent them emails to see if 37/12.5/17 would work with their 3.5" kit but swap the stock 1.5" rear block for a 2 or 2.5".

I'm also starting to think all of these companies quote at least one size down than what could actually fit just in case.

I found on Ranchos site that they have a new 4" kit for the 2010 and up Dodge 2500, that they say will work with 37" tires on stock wheels. It's hard to get much info on it, since it's apparently a new kit, but it actually looks pretty good with the upgraded RS9000XL shocks. Opinions?

http://www.gorancho.com/suspension.p...dodge_ram_2500

I'm going to try to get some more info tomorrow on it. Keep the opinions comming, what do you think, 35" or 37" direction?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Banned

The 5" rough country kit is also a nice kit
It's inexpensive and offers a lifetime warranty similar to BDS And other companies. There are a ton of guys running these on 2500/3500 with out complaints
Rough country has really upped their products in the past few years. After seeing the abuse my buddies put their jeeps with RC lifts I would recommend them
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Lift

I went to a local 4x4 shop that sells the Rancho 4" lift, and they said I'd have issues with running the 37" tires, they didn't suggest 37" tires period, even with the 6" kits I am considering. They also said they had issues with the Top Gun 6" kit and they suggested I install a FabTech. I guess I'm starting to think I'd be better off just sticking with 35" tires. To my suprise, they said the short arm kits would handle better on the road then the long arm kits, and that if I went Long arm, I could not go back and I should stick with a short arm kit. They don't sell the Kore, but looked at it and said they would install it and that it looked like a very good kit for the money. But, they said it would have an issue since it did not come with an adjustable traction bar or relocation bracket, that the kit would still pull the axle over with the 3" of lift and cause issues and wobble if not corrected (the high dollar Carli and Kore kits don't either, so I really don't think it would be an issue). They also said I would want to install a better steering stabilizer system, or a dual system. I've emailed Kore to see what they say,

Thoughts?

Stangshcky12, the RC kit looks very good for the price, but if I abandon the 37" search, I'd prefer to stay a bit lower. They claim the truck sits level, but uses a 4" rear block, seems like the front would have to get lifted at least 6" then. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm actually running the RC lift on my truck but I used diesel springs to stiffin it up some and it have just over 6 in the front and I had to use a add a leaf in the rear along with the 4 inch block and it still sits a little low in the rear for my likings. I haven't had any issues with the lift or running 37s I don't regret any of it. I would like to regear it this spring or summer but that's only because I pull my nearly 9,000 pound mud/pulling truck alot.
2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 QC LB Hemi, 6 inch lift, 37" Cooper Discoverer STT's, Bully Dog programmer, K&N cold air intake performance throttle body, true duals, debadged.... Soon to come 4.56s and wheels, maybe more lift.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

Idk it's a tough decesion, the kore is nicer springs, better shocks and a mini leaf pack for the rear. It would be nicer if it had control arms the track bar mount and drop pitman arm
I really don't have to much oppinion about the fab tech kit.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM

I think they're all pretty good and if your thinking about going 6 in and 37s I I say go for it if you go smaller then what your debating on you'll probably kick yourself later for not going with what you thought about to start with