DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
stangd1909 is on a distinguished road
Default Mds

So after a lot of reading on here and doing some experimenting, the MDS is my problem. Right now I am just shifting it to 5 and driving around like that.

The dealer told me that they are working on a PCU update to fix the MDS problem, is it as simply as that? Can they fix this problem with a PCU update?
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
gp2011ram is on a distinguished road

I have a similar issue. I have had the TC replaced and hoped that would help. I have a bad vibration when MDS kicks in. Not all the time but most of the time. It shudders when MDS goes off. Hoping for a fix!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport CC, 5.7L, 8spd
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:71
bowieknife will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to bowieknife

I've been posting for months on this same thing. I don't think everyone's is vibrating as bad as mine when the MDS kicks in. I"ve read some other posts where guys can't even tell when the MDS is active. My whole damn truck vibrates like it's not getting fuel and could stall out at any moment. Dealer tells me it's MDS working correctly. Please post back if you get any more info. I"m out of options and it's so undriveable that I'm contemplating selling it already (4,700 miles).
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Rep:19
lewisb13 is on a distinguished road

Mine isnt ridiculous. Its noticeable, albeit a small price to pay for better fuel economy. My truck doesnt shake at all, it just sounds like a queit jake brake off of an 18 wheeler. I just crank up the tunes a bit and forget about it. Sounds like yours is much more noticeable though.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieknife View Post
I've been posting for months on this same thing. I don't think everyone's is vibrating as bad as mine when the MDS kicks in. I"ve read some other posts where guys can't even tell when the MDS is active. My whole damn truck vibrates like it's not getting fuel and could stall out at any moment. Dealer tells me it's MDS working correctly. Please post back if you get any more info. I"m out of options and it's so undriveable that I'm contemplating selling it already (4,700 miles).

Yeah my shudder drives me crazy when it kicks in. They told me that Dodge is in the process of working something out. Now, are they just telling me I want to hear so they don't have to listen to me bitch.....not sure. I have also been thinking about trading my truck in...1500 miles on the clock. I'll give them a little longer, but I won't wait forever. It's a shame, because I really like the truck.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangd1909 View Post
Yeah my shudder drives me crazy when it kicks in. They told me that Dodge is in the process of working something out. Now, are they just telling me I want to hear so they don't have to listen to me bitch.....not sure. I have also been thinking about trading my truck in...1500 miles on the clock. I'll give them a little longer, but I won't wait forever. It's a shame, because I really like the truck.
Make sure you have the most recent flash for your transmission. It changes the shift points for a better/smoother ride. This could be your problem.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
Make sure you have the most recent flash for your transmission. It changes the shift points for a better/smoother ride. This could be your problem.

I asked him about that. Service manger told me there was no new flash? How do you know which one you have?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangd1909 View Post
I asked him about that. Service manger told me there was no new flash? How do you know which one you have?
I'm good friends with my Service Manager and he's always taken good care of me (even with my wife's VW and now Mercury). I don't know what the latest version/rev is but any service adviser should be able to look it up for you.

If you don't get a good answer you can always call Chrysler and ask. Then you'll have a # in hand next tie you go back (or go to another dealer).

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The only time that i know the MDS is on is when i try holding it at that point where it kicks in, about 27 MPH on my Ram, it just sounds like hell.
I have learned if i have to drive at that speed, like school zones, i just drop a gear so that it can't kick in, the noise is embarrassing
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road
Default Hope this helps

Here is a quote from another member (thanks transengineer) of the TSB regarding the shift issues. It seemed to help mine out for the most part. I don't think we'll ever get rid of the mds shudder 100%.

Looks like TSB 18-023-11 is a PCM reflash to correct a number of different issues. Here are the details:

SUBJECT: Flash: MIL Illumination And Driveability And Transmission Shifting Improvements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS: 2011RAM1500 (DS), 2500 (DJ), 3500 CAB Chassis (DD), and Dakota (ND)

Service Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 4.7L or 5.7L engine, a 545RFE or 42RLE transmission, and built before February 1, 2011 (MDH 0201XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Some customers may notice any of the following:

MIL Illumination
Technician may find that the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) have been set:
a. P2096 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Lean (5.7L engine).
b. P2097 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Rich (5.7L engine)
c. P2098 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Lean (5.7L engine)
d. P2099 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Rich (5.7L engine)

Driveability Improvements:
a. Engine seems to lacks power at high RPM (5.7L and 4.7L engine).
b. Shudder or shake condition on wide open throttle stab during downshift event (5.7L and 4.7L engines).
c. EVAP Diagnostic Enhancements. This diagnostic routine will be disabled while the vehicle is in decel fuel shut off mode (3.7L/4.7L engines only).
d. Audible knock sound on WOT launchs (DJ/DD 5.7L engine only).

Transmission Improvements:
a. High engine RPM's needed before vehicle will upshift from 3rd to 4th (5.7L and 4.7L engines).
b. Harsh 1-2 upshift (5.7L and 4.7L engines).
c. Unexpected or busy downshift while coasting between 45-48 mph (DS 5.7L engine only)