DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Glad you are back on the road bro! also nice to hear your dealer took good care of you and got you back in one piece with no problems! thats a dealer I would keep doing business with.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
trentowens92 is on a distinguished road

dang the dealer told me the same thing on my gmc.i got a spider gear rebuild kit for it and it broke agan like a week after i installed it.the pin that goes thru the middle broke and screwed up my ring and pinion gears.their warranty wouldnt cover it cause they said that comes from one tire spinning excessively fast while the other is sitting still.whatever.haha
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 AM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

yea i donno but i just hope it doesnt happen again
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Color: Brillant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

man thats total bs, because every time u take a turn one wheel turns more than the other, thats the way rear ends are designed (unless its locked) i call bs on that one... theres def something causing all these rear-ends to go in our trucks!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
partypooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmedic09 View Post
theres def something causing all these rear-ends to go in our trucks!
It seems everyone is having their pinion nut come loose. The pinion nut has something like 200nm of torque on it. How this comes loose, I don't know. My best guess is, the pinion threads for the nut are undersized not allowing the correct amount of thread engagement (industry standard of at least 65%) on the nut. The nut should have tangs on it which cut into the mounting face when torqued also. That should be a safety factor to prevent it from backing off also. I am betting the pinion diameter (in cast form) was undersized when they cut the threads on the back of the pinion. Once you loose clamp load, the pinion shoots towards the rear of the truck ( you then loose your pinion bearings, thus the crunching) and granades the gear ring into pieces due to interference.

What's your guess?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

By the sounds of things, Platinuminjected had a spider gear problem, not a pinion gear problem, and this is the first one I've heard of that has had this problem so I'd be inclined to believe it was a 'defect' in material that was covered under warranty. As the dealer tried to indicate, this is the normal result if you spin one wheel at very high speed while the other wheel is at or near stopped.....something I doubt was the case here.

As for the pinion nut issue, Dodge has delivered over 1/2 million of these trucks, and I have only read about less then 10 with the pinion nut issue here. At what failure percentage is a problem really a problem?

On the forums, we are most likely to hear from the people that have an issue, but do not have the counteracting posts of the ones that don't have an issue. Dodge has this information in their database. If they sell 100,000 truck and 2 have a pinion problem, 3 need the TIPM, and 2500 have a water leak.....they will likely put their efforts in the direction of the water leak, as the percentage is suggesting a real problem exists.

I really hate to see people worry about their truck just because they read about a few instances of a problem on a forum. What I really like is when members like Platinuminjected share their experience that includes the inconvenience of being without your vehicle while the repair is being 'covered under warranty'. This sharing of an experience is great reminder of how much we depend on our vehicles, and offers the reality that at any time, without warning, we could be without our precious Ram for a few days. It IS a technological marvel with thousands of electronic and mechanical parts; anyone of which could have a bad day, and as a result could extend that bad day on to us.

If you buy a brand new vehicle, odds are you will take it in for at least two warranty claims. Could be a minor inconvenience like the glove box latch, or it could be a major inconvenience like a gernaded rear end.

In the end, isn't Warranty GREAT!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

^^^^ As usual Brad, an excellent post ^^^^
Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i agree that is a excellent post and it is shitty how things can just happen when ur least expecting it but yes i love warranty but i dont have much left
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Color: Brillant Black
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

man i agree 100% with ur post Brad, but to me it sounds like the same issue alot of other rear ends have experienced, a total grenade of the thing THANK GOD FOR WARRANTY haha. and the dealer saying its cuz of one wheel spinning isnt a "proper"reason, sounds like a "heres a reason, now shut it and leave us alone" type answer thus the reasoning i called BS. When my rear end took a major crap, the dealer had seen 6 within a few months thats a fair amount for a smaller town!

its def a bummer when we dont have our rides thats for sure! and it sucks 100X more when theres something major wrong with them.

(quote)
As for the pinion nut issue, Dodge has delivered over 1/2 million of these trucks, and I have only read about less then 10 with the pinion nut issue here. At what failure percentage is a problem really a problem?(quote)

any failure rate like this at a highspeed is a horrible one, god only knows where you and your truck could end up. A 110km semi, and a ram would make an awful mess, but a water leak sure aint bad compared to that.

i know i LOVE forums to find the issues with our trucks, whether its a good experience or a rear-end blow out, thanks to people posting bad experiences it gives us some things to look into while we can still get them covered under our warranty. Just frustrating when we pay thousands and thousands for vehicles and they break, thats a bummer
Old 12-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I can't disagree that a gernaded rear end at high speeds is a horrible failure to have, and I have read about a few instances where this actually happened (not all were Dodges), and fortunately the damage was restricted to some cosmetic damage to the vehicle. However, statistics have shown that most accidents are the result of the nut behind the wheel, not a nut used to assemble the vehicle.

When you consider the amount of miles we humans spend in vehicles at speeds capable of causing fatality, it's truly amazing the death/injury count is so low. The odds are really not in our favor, so I am quick to compliment the vehicle engineers to assisting us in beating those odds.

And speaking of odds.....Our vehicles are designed by humans, built by humans, (or human built and designed robots), using materials developed and manufactured by humans.
The odds are really staked against us.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI