DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
walterbrannman is on a distinguished road
Default swapping rear end???

First off my name is walter brann, and I'm a owner of a 2009 ram slt 4.7l, bought my truck used and had some problems with the rear end, had to replace a bent axle, and now with my 18x9 xd addicts and 34" tires I noticed a almost negative camber on my driver side rear tire,so guessing previous owner bent the axle housing along with the axle and cracked rim....my question is are there an aftermarket rear end assemblies? Or can I just pick up a rear end assembly from any 2009-2011 4x4 1500? And can I run 4.10 gears on the 4.7l just buy swaping. Them into the diff?
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I think all 2009 to 2011 rear axles are interchangeable. There may be minor differences like for 2wd and 4wd but I can't think of any. As far as 4.10's, you could do that but would have to get them aftermarket, or from a Ram RT. They weren't available otherwise. They'd be a great match to the 4.7L IMO. You would need the dealer to calibrate for speedo I think, or get a tuner.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

OH! and if you are 4wd you have to match the front differential ratio or you will cause severe damage when engaged in 4wd....the wheels need to turn at the same rate!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a 4X4 the ratios need to be the same, front & rear

If you think the housing is bent, i would buy a wrecking yard complete rear end out of a front end damaged vehicle, preferably a 2009 or 2010 Ram
In 2011 they went to a weight saving rear end, it will fit but it is not quite as strong.

You can buy just about any rear end housing complete & have a shop go through it & install your Ring & Pinion into it & SHIM it properly

You could also buy a ring & pinion of your Ratio choice from Randys Ring & Pinion, they have a good Technical Help section & i believe also a LIVE person that you can call

http://www.ringpinion.com/
they have a warehouse in Franklin, Tenn. so delivery would be quick

there are other suppliers too

I still think a dismantling yard is the cheapest
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 PM

I agree with him ^ you can probably buy an entire axle assembly complete for what it'd cost to have yours redone.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well damn this thing is costing me more then I wanted lol.....but thanks for all the info, and yeah I def think the hosuing is bent I don't see anything else that could make the tire/rim lean in,now that there are new tires/rims/ and new axle
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Also since my rear diff ratio is 3.55 right now that means my front ratio is 3.55 also correct? And I would need to bu 2 sets of 4.10 gears for front and back? Or if I did 3.92s from the hemi I would have to buy 2 sets of those?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 AM

^That's correct. Swapping both gear sets is a fairly big job.