DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
prezdead is on a distinguished road

5000KM on my Laramie now and I've recently started to notice the "Thunk" as discussed earlier on.

It happens AFTER I come to a complete stop, I can probably count a full second between when I stop and when I hear it. It sounds like a deep thud, I confuse it for my subwoofer sometimes to be honest.

The only thing I can think of is the hill-assist start. I have recently disabled it and started noticing the thunks after that.

I would think the hill-assist (which keeps the brakes locked until you hit the gas??) might actually be the cause, so I'm not sure how shutting it off would affect this.

Im going to switch it back on today and see if it makes a difference. Has there been any recent news into this?
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 slt crewcab
Trim Level: slt 4x4 crew
Color: deep cherry red
JoeBlow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezdead View Post
5000KM on my Laramie now and I've recently started to notice the "Thunk" as discussed earlier on.

It happens AFTER I come to a complete stop, I can probably count a full second between when I stop and when I hear it. It sounds like a deep thud, I confuse it for my subwoofer sometimes to be honest.

The only thing I can think of is the hill-assist start. I have recently disabled it and started noticing the thunks after that.

What you are describing sounds like the "thud" people notice from their gas moving around in the optional 32 gallon tank. If you have the 32 gallon tank, you will notice the "thud" only when your tank is about 3/4 full and about a second after you come to a complete stop. It's nothing to worry about. There have been many threads on this subject if you do a search. I also have the 32 gal tank and notice it on occasion. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by brad12kx; 06-24-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Fix quote code
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2door HEMI
Trim Level: Express 5.7
Color: Black
Moparman99 is on a distinguished road

I wanted to try and post a photo or two of my 2012 Ram. Still learning how to navigate this web site.

Last edited by brad12kx; 06-24-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Fix image
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4X4
Color: Inferno Red
johnnymopar is on a distinguished road

About 6000 miles on mine. I have a BT Catch can and no other engine mods. Its been perfect except for one annoying issue - which may be normal?

When I first start it, it starts to knock when I drop it into drive (does not do it in park). Goes away when it warms up in a minute or so. My old Yukon started to knock when cold after 200,000 miles! I will ask the dealer at next oil change I think. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Had my iPhone working with Uconnect on the first day. The next day it stopped. Call would go through but other party could not hear me. A call to Uconnect was useless. Spent 10 minutes discussing with that idiot who the owner of the truck is. After no help or ideas from this fool he asked me if there was anything else he could help me with. A trip to the dealer and they found out the mic wire in the rear view mirror was loose. Minor problem solved.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
jtpc is on a distinguished road

Mine has a weird 'thunk' noise coming from under the truck when driving on city roads going over bumps or cracks in the road. Sounds like the front passenger-side suspension is loose or something. My local dealership makes you do the driving when they try to find noises, so they wouldn't look at it the last time I had it in a few days ago.
My work schedule is so random and is on call all of the time, so I'm having trouble getting the truck back in for that. It is pretty loud and I just hope no damage is done before I can get it in.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Molten Red Pearl
Raven 4x4 is on a distinguished road
Question 2012 4x4 Laramie Electrical Problems

Hello All,
Our Laramie has under 7K and electrical problems started approx. 2K ago. Sometimes (About 15 times so far) when you try to start her up it does nothing, all of the lights and gauges and so forth illuminate as normal but no reaction click etc. from the starter. After setting for a bit and a few tries it has cranked and not left us stranded. Same problem using either of two keys we have.

I thought maybe a loose connection or something may be the cause. We took it back to the dealer, they had a few day's. The service order describes the problem as "6678 Interm Open Starter Circuit 08890102, .3 Tested, Replaced, And Configured TIPN Module". I felt all along that it was a relay issue of some sort.

Well it happened again yesterday and the wife needless to say was pissed, it's her daily driver, I drive my 2002 Z-71. We called the dealer and told them about the recurring problem, we wanted to have a comporable truck loaned for the weekend since we already had RV reservations and some much needed surf fishing/beach therapy in our future. We had already spent $70 on a rental from the first time and wanted a free loaner. Of course nobody could confirm or deny the free loaner.....

The dealer called back this morning and wants to give us another truck, yes, replace the truck, so this must be a fairly serious problem and possibly a fire hazard. I sure don't feel safe parking the truck in the garage. I'll keep you posted. FYI the service mgr. had said they had one other truck with the same problem but they have not had it happen again after the "repair" like we did.

I'll end this post by stating that our 2008 Lone Star 2x4 never had a single problem.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
CountryD is on a distinguished road

*UPDATE* Took my 2012 2500 Hemi CC 4X4 by the dealer to let him listen to the loud Clunk when the truck is put into Reverse. HE SAID THAT IS NORMAL!! Said that several other guys have brought their trucks in with the same noise, some worse than others, and said that its normal. The guy also told me that they have had to replace a couple of trannys due to the customer being unhappy with that noise.

So, I asked him if that fixed the THUNK?, and he said yes. So, it sounds like its a problem with these trannys. I asked him if I could have my tranny replaced and he said that I would have to meet with a REP, and Ive already done that with my paint issues and will not be looking forward to talking to that guy again. I have had some many issues with my truck that Im just at the point of taking a little loss and trading it in.

1. Had to replace drivers seat bracket due to the seat rail being warped, because it squeaked, real bad. The seat was crooked and they kept it for 2 weeks waiting on a seat rail.

2. Paint is TERRIBLE. Tiger stripped BAD!!! Met with Dodge Rep and was told they would only paint parts of the truck, and my truck is silver, so matching the paint is gonna be tough. Went 4 weeks before I even got a response. Then the Rep told me one thing one day and then something else 2 weeks later, about painting the entire truck to just painting certain parts. Then wasnt the NICEST guy I have ever talked to.

3. Digital screen goes off while driving, had it looked at and they couldnt find the problem. Was told if it keeps happening they would replace the screen and said it would take 3 to 4 weeks and wouldnt get a loaner car.

4. Now the Tranny feels like its going to Fail. Putting it into reverse sounds HORRIBLE, I mean its LOUD, and it shifts hard when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st.

Just at the point that I feel like I have a 2nd tier truck.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SPORT W/LEATHER
Color: Flame Red
DetFrankBullitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman99 View Post
I wanted to try and post a photo or two of my 2012 Ram. Still learning how to navigate this web site.

NICE! What wheels are those? I must have some! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: LoneStar
Color: blue
brandowoody is on a distinguished road

Bought my 2012 RAM 1500 in January. I have had nothing but a living hell with this Truck. 1st, there is a wierd vibration\pulse in the rear end of the truck when im around 68 mph, Took it back to dealership with with 4800 miles on it. Their conclusion was that the vibration was completely normal. Total BS!, it wasnt doing this when i test drove it. They claimed that it was the MDS system just weating down and that it it totally normal..Then at 6600 miles, noticed a really high pitched whining noise in the front end around 35-45 mph. Took it back to the dealership, they again said it SOUNDS like a normal sound... Total crap.
I asked the dealership how they could not hear this, their reply was "our techs are on commision, and if they are out on a drive with one truck for a while, it is taking time from working on other vehicles" total crap..
It has been in 2 times since for the same issues....I have completely lost it on this truck!! I have now lost power in the truck, It does not have the Torque that it had before, and how its starting to have cosmetic problems...

Paint:
Now, the entire truck on the driver side, after looking the other day, appears to have waves\bubbles in the clear coat or paint itself!! its totally noticable in the sun and looks like Sh@$#.... Driver and driver side back door...
Being over 40 miles away from the dealership, and with a dealership not giving me a loaner car, im not sure what to do at this point...
I called the dealership about it and they told me to bring it in that day. I told them that Im working and asked if i can bring it in a few days later. I was told the service manager would be gone for over a week and that he would have to have the final call on the paint......