DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
E.J. is on a distinguished road

Wow....i have a 2012 sport on order and hearing these issues does get me worried a bit. Im jumping from my precious z71 to this ram and really hope I dont have to take this back to the dealer for these issues. I cant even fathom taking a brand new truck back to a dealer for creaking, acceleration issues...etc. Ummm, get it right the first time with a $40,000+ vehicle. Im sure it will all work out for you, and my new sport will b awesome, but if I have any of these issues....i will not b happy. Good Luck!
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 in between truck GM 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4X4
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:10
johnnymopar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Wow....i have a 2012 sport on order and hearing these issues does get me worried a bit. Im jumping from my precious z71 to this ram and really hope I dont have to take this back to the dealer for these issues. I cant even fathom taking a brand new truck back to a dealer for creaking, acceleration issues...etc. Ummm, get it right the first time with a $40,000+ vehicle. Im sure it will all work out for you, and my new sport will b awesome, but if I have any of these issues....i will not b happy. Good Luck!
On any vehicle forum you hear about problems and people looking for advice on them to a higher degree than in reality. Having said that I hope mine on order has no issues but this forum has given me a bunch of things to be on the lookout for!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
speedfrk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pha8 View Post
2012 1500 sport with 4850Km. Seat stretching (almost right away?) tire pressure on 1 tire flashing (low pressure) although it has the same pressure as 2 other tires?, rattleing coming from the pass side dash board, and the most disappointing! Engine Boggs driving in the city (50km) and their is no "gradual" acceleration! It will bogg and shake a bit with slight acceleration, then drop a gear and take off although only a slight speed increase was intended! The 6spd trans was a nice thought, but would have been nice if the engine, trans tourque converter and CPU all played well togather! Still a very sweet looking truck! But these problems should have been corrected before release.
Yep, mine has the same problem with the poorly implemented engine/transmission management software. I have to drive mine in tow/haul mode when I'm in the city to keep it from driving me crazy as it hunts for the right gear and goes in and out of the cyl deactivation mode. I'm honestly thinking of selling/trading mine if there isn't a software update to make it more drivable.
Other than that, I find the seats uncomfortable with zero lumbar support and the steering wheel squeaks as you turn it. The outside edges of the front tires are feathering badly already and it doesn't want to go straight on the interstate- it takes constant small corrections.
My 05 Ram was a better driving truck than this one- I wish I had it back. This truck looks great and was priced right but I think we are finding out what "imported from Mexico" means...
Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of things to consider. I'm not going to suggest that a real problem does not exist, but from the above posts, I believe there may be a logical explanation for some of them.

First off, most of you have posted very low mileage, and my experience was that you need at least 3000 miles on the truck before it reaches puberty and starts acting a bit more like the truck you thought you bought. It seems that the PCM, TCM, and all the other acronyms need to learn how you drive and how to best manage the truck.

Also, from a number of the posts, I believe a lot of the 'hesitation' may be caused by the MDS system. When it's engaged, it takes a while for it to disengage, and you may be applying more throttle then you think you are in the expectation of instantaneous results, but by time the electronics figures out that really want to go, it then responds to the current pedal position. For the most part, this all smooths out after 3000 miles, then gets even better around the 5000 mile mark.

2 ways to manually disable the MDS are -
1) Turn on the Tow/Haul mode
2) shift the trans out of 'Drive', so the EVIC displays a gear number less than '6'.

The TPMS (Tire pressure Monitoring System) is an interesting animal. First off, make sure the tires are set to the specs marked on the driver's door pillar (B pillar). If a tire drops in pressure by 5psi lower then this amount, it will indicate that tire is low. This will persist until the tire pressure exceeds the marked pressure by 2 psi, which is a normal condition that happens when the truck is rolling with properly inflated tires. Once it's happy, it will not indicated low pressure again until the tire drops to 5psi below the marked amount.

I had almost forgot about all this, until I got my 2012 Chevy Express 1T van. Other than the MDS which it does not have, it displays all these same 'New Vehicle' symptoms, so the contrast from the previous 2006 model year of the same van is huge!

Although all the modern electronics and technology bring us some pretty cool features, this is a normal side effect. I will be very interested in how your driving experience changes in about 6 months. I know mine changed a lot, and 1-1/2 year later, I look forward every day to getting into my truck and driving it.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT/Big Horn
RonmacRam is on a distinguished road
Default Did I buy a Ram?

I must be driving too easy, I see none of the bogging problems, very little shifting of the six speed, seems to have so much power it usually runs in sixth gear. Dash reading 17.5 mpg, but only around 300 miles so far, very pleased!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
emmado is on a distinguished road

My new ram comes in this week. The only things that concern me when taking delivery at the dealership are the bed "crack" issue and any defects in the paint, whichI will go ouvr with a fine tooth comb before I drive it off the lot, and have noted by the dealer if they become issues later on.

Anything else that pops up later is all covered under warrantee, and I am not concerned, as it wont cost me a dime to repair.

My wife bought a GM product 2 years ago, and the trunk kept filling with water when it rained. After 4 attempts to fix it failed, it got lemon lawed out. The dealer was more than happy to lemon law it and get us a different vehicle, which is problem free to this day. I figured we were in for a fight to lemon law it, but I was 100% wrong, and it was a painless and hasslefree experience.

I wouldnt worry too much.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Black/gold trim
rcgreg is on a distinguished road

No probs on my truck, tranny shifts fine - up and down - bed has no seam problems that I can detect. So far - so good.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post

2 ways to manually disable the MDS are -
1) Turn on the Tow/Haul mode
2) shift the trans out of 'Drive', so the EVIC displays a gear number less than '6'.
Actually just using the 'autostick' mode (for lack of a better term) even though you don't actually shift the trans makes MDS stay off.
2011 and prior you had the top gear set at 5 because it was a 5 speed. Or can you set it to 6 on 2011s and prior? I'm not sure. But I do know that when driving if I knock the trans out of D and into +/- and set it to 6, the MDS stays off. I have tried this with a steady foot and with cruise control on the highway going 60 and driving around town at 30 to 40 mph. Also watching the eco page of my dash (I don't have the EVIC), that the MDS turns on and off pretty smooth - so smooth in fact that most of the time I don't feel it so much as I hear/feel the exhaust note change.
While I have felt the occasional bogging (as some of you are calling it) of the engine, it is not bad for me at all. I am able to increase speed by 2-3 mph easily without it downshifting and jumping into lightspeed on me. I do think that this slight increase of speed that you are looking for is more easily attainable driving with the +/- set to 6 - or whatever gear you're looking for. I like to set it to 6 when driving around town just to keep the MDS off...I have this idea of getting uneven wear inside the engine by using the MDS a lot. On the highway I turn MDS off only if there is a good amount of traffic I'm going to have to deal with.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:21
11Express is on a distinguished road

I've only had my 2012 for about 5 days now (330 miles so far), no issues to report thus far.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie 4X4
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
Racklover is on a distinguished road

2 weeks into mine and it is awesome