DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
hemiglock23 is on a distinguished road
Default Wierd Ticking

I've been sitting in the weeds since signing up on the forum a couple of months back..... So a reintroduction may be in order. My truck is an 09 1500 4x4 with the 5.7. I kinda hate this site 'cause you all make me jealous with all the cool stuff you have been doing or in the middle of doing to your trucks. I can't seem to find the extra funds to play along and get what I want......

Here recently, my truck has started making a strange noise. I would describe it as a tick/rattle. The strange part is that it won't do it consistently enough to really shade tree diagnos it.... No noise in the morning when the truck and ambient temp is cold. But, at lunch or when leaving from work still cold, both the truck and temp, it will make this noise and won't go away.

My first thougt was possibly piston "slap" or the rockers drying out while sitting. But I would think if either of these where the case, it would remedy itself fairly quickly as oil was reintroduced. My second theory would be that I have some sort of exhaust leak. I know that there was a TSB for the flange bolts to be replaced and I don't know if this truck has had that service done to it. Nor have I had the time or space to thoroughly check the flanges.

So...... what say ye??????????
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Cracked exhaust manifold
you are lucky, having the lifetime drive train warranty from the factory, they may charge you but you will get the money back, when they remember that warranty
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Cracked exhaust manifold
you are lucky, having the lifetime drive train warranty from the factory, they may charge you but you will get the money back, when they remember that warranty

I don't know how lucky I really am... I have been told that I don't have a lifetime warrenty on anything.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

if you bought the 2009 new, it came with a Lifetime warranty on the drive train

As of October 2009, the Dodge powertrain warranty covers the engine, the transmission and the drive systems on select 2009 vehicles.

Features
The powertrain warranty covers the cylinder block and all internal parts of gasoline engines, the transmission case and internal parts of the transmission, plus the drive system and any internal parts that the drive system relies on. The warranty will cover parts and labor costs needed to repair any of these items should they fail.

Duration
According to the Dodge website, the company offers the most comprehensive powertrain warranty, as it has extended the duration of the warranty coverage to the lifetime of the vehicle.

Qualified Vehicles
The 2009 vehicles that are included in the powertrain warranty are the Durango, Grand Caravan, Nitro, Avenger, Caliber, Charger, Ram, Dakota, Journey and Challenger

Read more: What is covered by the Dodge powertrain warranty? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1794690#ixzz1gZfijsV8

I went a step further, i have over lapping warranties, just before my 36 month or 36,000 mile warranties were up, i purchased the Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty with $100 deductible
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-14-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I purchased the truck used. So I think I'm SOL on the warranty......
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
SilverHemiRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiglock23 View Post
I purchased the truck used. So I think I'm SOL on the warranty......
I am in the same situation. I have a noise as well that I pin pointed to a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Dealer wanted $500 to fix it. No thanks, I will tackle it myself.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 09 1500(Dodge Ram.. obviously)
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:58
RamLover will become famous soon enough

Ya mine was doin that this past summer... Ticking when you started the truck, then once the engine warmed up the manifolds, the ticking would go away.. turns out it was an exhaust manifold bolt.
Cylinders 7 and 8 are supposedly notorious for breaking exhaust manifold bolts.. the passenger side bolt broke on me.. took me like a half hour to easy-out it and fire a new one in.
Not even 3 weeks later the driver side broke.. that was a pain in balls to get.
If it is just the bolt for ya, i hope its on the passenger side bud

Last edited by RamLover; 01-07-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

i have the same ticking upon starting , in morring kinda goes away when warm , mine starts ticking louder when I put it in gear automatic trans , I do have the life time warren, dealer tells me oh thats normal yeah right , but being as I have the life time warr I am thinking ok will just wait and see if it get's worse . I have it on record . so if it blows up they will have to fix it right ha ha guess what oh sorry warrenty doesn't cover ware and tear . right . . guess again dealer . my thinking .
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
tnmopar is on a distinguished road

I also have a ticking noise, but all I can get out of the dealer is that Hemi's are just loud and that is just another sound that make....
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

When i switched to Mobile One synthetic oil & a WIX/NAPA/Carquest oil filter, the morning cool weather ticking all but disappeared