DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Tongan Built is on a distinguished road
Default question about interior resonance from aftermarket exhausts

wzzup peoples? I'm new to aftermarket exhausts and i heard about drone/resonance but never experienced it. I got a DB exhaust w/ K&N filter and it sounds good. I wanted somethin with more tone to it so i went with a FM 40. Damn it sounded good. But while I was driving the damn interior vibrating and gave me a headache...therefore i switched back, bummer...it sucks cuz i dont know anyone with a 4th gen ram to hear what they got in person...my question is...is the vibration in the cabin resonance/drone?

Also i hated it after cuz my WOT sounded better with Corsa DB & it was way quicker accel/HP gains. Straight thru. I like the glasspack sound and wondering if anyone here is runnin cherry bombs and how r they? esp if u have wife n kids lol
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

its funny you say that about the Corsa, I thought mine was too high pitched and once I put my headers on it was WAY to raspy/tin sounding for me, but i bet a lot of that was because I am running catless

most guys rave about their magnaflow mufflers, but ive never heard one in person. The guy i sold my Corsa to says it was louder than his Magnaflow catback for what thats worth.

The problem with exhausts is videos give you a general idea, but you really have to hear them in person. I went with a custom c/b with mufflers I had used on all my previous cars and I love the sound.

If you ever head down into OC LMK and ill take you for a ride so you can hear it too

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn ~V~
Color: White
Rep:31
2012Longhorn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongan Built View Post
wzzup peoples? I'm new to aftermarket exhausts and i heard about drone/resonance but never experienced it. I got a DB exhaust w/ K&N filter and it sounds good. I wanted somethin with more tone to it so i went with a FM 40. Damn it sounded good. But while I was driving the damn interior vibrating and gave me a headache...therefore i switched back, bummer...it sucks cuz i dont know anyone with a 4th gen ram to hear what they got in person...my question is...is the vibration in the cabin resonance/drone?

Also i hated it after cuz my WOT sounded better with Corsa DB & it was way quicker accel/HP gains. Straight thru. I like the glasspack sound and wondering if anyone here is runnin cherry bombs and how r they? esp if u have wife n kids lol
I was going to ask a similar question. I bought a new Mustang GT a few years back and the first thing I noticed is that it sounded like a moped. I ordered a set of magnaflows catbacks, drove it to work and back...removed them that evening. The drone was horrible. I did some research and ordered Corsa's. They were perfect...really nice when you got on it, and zero cabin drone. My vette also has a set with the xpipe and all. I was looking around and apparently Corsa's are not available for my 2012.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L 4x4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: FLAME RED
Rep:27
letsjet is on a distinguished road

Aftermarket exhausts without drone are tough to find. I have a couple of Challengers and drone is a big problem with the automatic, not so with the 6 speed. Drone is something you feel as well as hear and usually goes away with a change in speed a few miles per hour up or down. The forums are a great source of information. Watching guys try this then that and spend lots of cash trying to find the best system for them, I've figured out you need first hand advice. Try to follow someones lead rather than blaze a new trail with exhausts, it's expensive and hard to get right the first time.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

I have always used Gibson Catbacks for my vehicles since 04 (2of them Rams). I have not altered the exhaust on this new one yet, because honestly it sounds ok to me for now and I want to see if it gets louder once its broke in good. The Gibson stainless steel Catbacks have treated me good in the past and I like them, I think it is really what SS4Luck says, videos are fine, but really need to hear them in person. I am not opposed to asking people I see in public with nice exhaust sound on a vehicle, (simply because they wont mind you asking what it is since we all love to hear how good our trucks sound or look ) ...Hey...That sounds sweet..what type of exhaust you running? just my ramblins.. But Welcome and good luck man, this is the place to find what ya need for sure.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Express QC
Trim Level: Express Quad-cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Nebel1 is on a distinguished road

I have the 18' Magna flow muffler on my express and it sounds great, haven't found any resonnance in the cab yet. I plan on replacing the funky Y pipe here in the near future. Really don't know why everyone puts expensive cat back systems on when the stock system is all stainless, just need to make it breath that is all.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge ram RCSB 2WD
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral grey
Jpruitt974 is on a distinguished road

I've got the magnaflow 14 on y express and it sounds great. Only noise inside the cab is when I get on it, and it's still not that bad. I had flowmasters on my 04 ford and it was awful inside the cab.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
its funny you say that about the Corsa, I thought mine was too high pitched and once I put my headers on it was WAY to raspy/tin sounding for me, but i bet a lot of that was because I am running catless

most guys rave about their magnaflow mufflers, but ive never heard one in person. The guy i sold my Corsa to says it was louder than his Magnaflow catback for what thats worth.

The problem with exhausts is videos give you a general idea, but you really have to hear them in person. I went with a custom c/b with mufflers I had used on all my previous cars and I love the sound.

If you ever head down into OC LMK and ill take you for a ride so you can hear it too
Why would you not have cats dont you still have a warranty / and i got the magnaflow left on the resonators and no drone and is loud
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Longhorn View Post
I was going to ask a similar question. I bought a new Mustang GT a few years back and the first thing I noticed is that it sounded like a moped. I ordered a set of magnaflows catbacks, drove it to work and back...removed them that evening. The drone was horrible. I did some research and ordered Corsa's. They were perfect...really nice when you got on it, and zero cabin drone. My vette also has a set with the xpipe and all. I was looking around and apparently Corsa's are not available for my 2012.
Funny you say that i was behind a new mustang g/t the other day he got on it and i was looking around for a honda civic lol i got next to him floored it and he was like oh thats what a real engine sounds like lol.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Tongan Built is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post

Hey wzup bro? Just barely checked this post didnt realize how many people responded all ready lol. Yeah man, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in OC so I can hear your Ram bro, and by the way that is some badazz lighting man.