DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough
Default Torque converter problem? Help!!

Need some advice from my fellow friends from ForumZ.
I just drove 2000 miles from texas to NH to visit my parents. I could take my wife's Dodge Caravan (I don't look cool on it, lol), but I chose to take my 2011 RAM.
About 1000 miles into my trip I start to hear a loud growling, rattling drone noise from the bottom of my truck, the noise did stop if I let up on the throttle. The noise starts around 69 to 76 mph and when I get on my destination I also notice it around 35 to 40 mph.
Around 1600 miles into my trip the noise became louder and very noticible.
I took it to a local Dodge Dealer in New Hampshiere and they took it in and called me back later with a diagnostic of a (maybe) bad converter.
They want to drop the transmission down and start do diagnostic it, (can take 2 weeks if need any parts, according to the service manager) but I told them that I had to go back to Texas next tuesday, so they just did a TSB 18-023-11 recall. I just drove it back from the dealer and the noise became worse in low speed (low RPM) after the TSB.
What do you guys think about this problem, could it be a bad converter? If I drive it back to Texas, Am I risking to damage it even more and leave my family and I on the road?

Need any advice. thanks.
My RAm is 10 months old and 13,000 miles.

Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Can't say for sure what the problem might be but the thread below has a lot of info from other members about the TC problem. Hope this helps.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93998
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbass View Post
Can't say for sure what the problem might be but the thread below has a lot of info from other members about the TC problem. Hope this helps.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93998
Thanksfor the info, I will drop it off at the Dealer tomorrow, the noise became worse as I drove it around tonight.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 AM
erm

Sounds like the upgrade they did has a problem!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Sounds like the upgrade they did has a problem!
The upgrade made it worse MADDOG. The dealer just called me back few minutes ago, and my truck will need a new Torque Converter. There is a wait list on it, according to them, looks like others dodge owners are experience the same problem. This is my first dodge and my first long trip with it, and to be honest, I am very frustrated. I will have to flight my family back to Texas ($$$$) and stay in NH till the truck get fixed (there is a rush order on the TC, mabe will be here on jan 2nd).
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

May be too late now... but if it's the converter "warble", you can drive it back to TX with no problem. The "warble" is strictly a noise issue (rattle of the turbine hub spline) and not a durability concern.

But if yours has gotten progressively worse, then maybe you have some internal failure (i.e. more than just a rattle), and in that case you would want to get it fixed before heading home. Unfortunately I can't diagnose it over the internet... the warble noise is typically not very loud, only during light cruise conditions, and goes away if you're in MDS mode. Maybe the dealer found something more suspicious...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTX View Post
The upgrade made it worse MADDOG. The dealer just called me back few minutes ago, and my truck will need a new Torque Converter. There is a wait list on it, according to them, looks like others dodge owners are experience the same problem. This is my first dodge and my first long trip with it, and to be honest, I am very frustrated. I will have to flight my family back to Texas ($$$$) and stay in NH till the truck get fixed (there is a rush order on the TC, mabe will be here on jan 2nd).
F*$# that.....get on the plane too, and head home with the family. Tell Dodge they can ship your truck home. This Torque Converter BS is honestly getting out of hand.

I have a trip planned next week with my family also. I think we'll take the wife's 2011 Traverse as my 2011 Ram Sport gives me very little confidence about the reliability of my truck. I too have the noise, and some vibration at the same speeds....sounds like a ticking time bomb to me. Just turned 1600 miles.....Priceless!

Last edited by HeyBrownDog; 12-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
Rep:44
thiggins is on a distinguished road

Someday there may be a nasty recall, but they really don't want to do that.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:67
Rough 01 will become famous soon enough

I just found out today that my 2011 Sport needs a new torque converter too. The dealer I went to, Go Dodge Arapahoe (Denver area), was very helpful and very willing to help. They said my TC will be in tomorrow but I asked them to wait until Monday to do the work. It's supposed to snow 12" tonight and I really didn't want to be in a rental car for that.

The only thing I would suggest to others is to bring in the star case number along with the write up. This helped out the mechanic that was diagnosing mine immensely. He hadn't heard of the TC issue previously and the star case number allowed him to quickly research the issue. Don't say, "This is obviously what it is" but ask, "Does it sound like this to you or is it something else?". I asked to take the mechanic for a ride and show him the sound it was making so he could listen for it as we drove around (this also helped him out). All in all, this has gone very smoothly for me and I wish you had gotten the same experience.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
t05ks is on a distinguished road

Owners of the 2500 hemi's are you having coverter problems too?