DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rick980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud67 View Post
I just bought a 2012 Longhorn before Christmas and traveled with it for the holidays. I tried the NAV just to see how it would route me for the usual trip of 500 kms to visit with family. This NAV system routed me a total of 800 kms from Weyburn, SK through northern North Dakota back to the border crossing south of Brandon, MB and up to Swan River through Brandon and Dauphin, MB. We pay a big pile of money for these new vehicles and systems and this is the crap we get for a high end NAV system.

Not impressed with the NAV system and when I talked to the dealer the salesman I talked to said that maybe it is a good thing that I am going after a fix for this so the problem will get fixed for other customers. Why should we have to do that? Are they not the go between for us to the manufacture and come back to us with a fix. I am going after a fix for this right to the top, as far as I can. This is unacceptable when buying a brand new vehicle.

I aslo tried the NAV on the way back to Weyburn from Swan River and it routed us the same way. From Swan River, down through the norther US and back into Saskatchewan to Weyburn, another 800 km trip.

I contacted NAVTEQ but have not heard anything back, of course it is Christmas and they are all probably away for the holidays. I have a Garmin Legend and if I use it for routing it is right on the money and all the maps for it come from NAVTEQ. According to the NAVTEQ website the maps on this RHR until are up to date and there is an updated expected in the spring of 2012. Then it will cost me more money to update a system that doesn't work.

This really sucks, the only this I found that sucks about this brand new truck.
Really now how many roads to Swan River #10 goes thru and then I forget the number of the road I got a speeding ticket from a Sumu woman wrestler LOL
The charge 200 to update each year but so far none of the updates would have anything to do with Canada it seems so I get ya.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Yep, my factory NAV blows too. PITA to use, and the updates alone cost more than a 'disposable' Garmin portable. (My little NUVI 200WS rocks compared to the GPS in my RAM!!! Super easy to use and inexpensive updates )

I did not want NAV, but it came with the truck. (Purchased off the lot,,,)

Oh, one thing it IS good for,,, thief's like it!!! They broke into my truck at work during the day and thats what they were after,,,

Clawed up the bezel around the center of the dash, couldn't figure it out and left,,,

I will NEVER 'look' specifically for NAV in a vehicle nor would I special order a vehicle with NAV,,, Too much money for a POS PITA.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge RAM
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
BOFslime is on a distinguished road

Tech moves a LOT faster than the car manufactures can keep up with. The dev cycle on a hand held device is much more rapid than a motor vehicle. The result ends up being that dash units end up being outdated before they're even in production. Even luxury cars have a problem keeping up though the new MMI system from audi finally includes google maps/earth/streetview, although this comes with the cost of a cell data service. There was also saab that recently introduced an in dash touchscreen android based system. I look forward to seeing this stuff improve, and have high hopes it will trickle down to the other manufactures. Actually the 2013 A4/S4's new MMI has a modular based graphics chip from nvidia, so it can actually be changed out and upgraded. Whether or not that becomes an option to owners in the future remains to be seen (they always love to upsell you to the next years model).
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: True Blue
kootenaydude is on a distinguished road

I also am less than impressed with the nav on my 2012 Laramie. I had a $150 Garmin purchased at Costco that was more accurate. Just came back from a holiday to northern BC and the 730N was determined to send me on several "scenic routes". Good thing I knew where I was going.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Gray
Redsand is on a distinguished road

I've tried using my Nav all of three times, gave up on it when 1. It didn't have the address I was looking for 2. Its a PIA to put the address in 3. The Nav on my phone is just far easier to use so why fight with the truck. I wish there was a way to plug the phone in and get its nav to display on the screen.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: True Blue
kootenaydude is on a distinguished road
Default Map & Software Update

A package arrived in the mail today containing a software update and a complimentary maps update! I have high hopes that this will improve the functionality of the navigation for us Canadian users who have been getting less than desirable results from the 730N
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I bet that you will still have to direct it to route you 1/2 way & when you reach that point, direct it to go the rest of the way
That is where the verbal commands come in handy
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep water blue Pearl
Rep:61
Alberto22 will become famous soon enough

After fight with nav for months, I went and purchased a Kenwood DNX9980HD. dvd, blue tooth, hd radio, sat radio, iPod, Pandora, and the nav is powered by Garmin that has life time maps and traffic. It was a bit pricey but well worth it.
MODS. f1 bakflip, rain guards, Mopar bug deflector, husky floor liners, chrome gas cover, westin side steps,steal craft brush guard,Piaa fog lights, painted calipers, sport hood, KENWOOD EXCELON DNX9980HD with cmos 300 camera, Magnaflow 14"
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
cemeflybyu is on a distinguished road

If it makes you feel any better, and I'm sure it wont...Its been this way with Dodge NAV systems forever! I upgraded to a Factory unit in my 06 Ram only to find out that it wasnt touch screen. It worked off a twisting joystick that you could not use at all when in motion. At least the new ones have a touch screen...
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: The Best Color - Black
Rep:14
teenRam is on a distinguished road

The navigation that came with both vettes are total crap too. I upgraded my wife's to a pioneer head unit since she needs it a little more than me. I never understood how a $150 navigation is more accurate than a $1000 system from a dealership.