DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
diligent1 is on a distinguished road

ECO light is NOT MDS. The ECO light comes on at very low speeds in the city if you are light on the throttle. MDS is not kicking it at those speeds. I can clearly feel the MDS when it does kick in - slight change in exhaust note and the slight shudder in the cabin from the engine. You can feel that happen, and it's nothing to do with the ECO light in the EVIC.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road
Default mds modes

the rpms will remain the same when going into mds mode as the eng is still turning the same rpms . I have a 09 I have the shutter in the mds mode only when I give it a slight throttle up with out kicking it out of mds mode . as far as being on the free way and havering it change back and forth between the mds and full mode hard too tell as there's a very slight I mean a very slight hesitation . also on mine if your staring from a stop above 5 it will go into mds mode at any speed when you hold a steady speed , click it down to 5 or under and it don't [[[ the 5 being the trans gear shifting read out but then all tr are different uh ?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Bettis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligent1 View Post
ECO light is NOT MDS. The ECO light comes on at very low speeds in the city if you are light on the throttle. MDS is not kicking it at those speeds. I can clearly feel the MDS when it does kick in - slight change in exhaust note and the slight shudder in the cabin from the engine. You can feel that happen, and it's nothing to do with the ECO light in the EVIC.
My ECO light comes on all the time while I'm cruising on the highway. As a matter of fact it comes on alot when I drive around town and along the country roads where the limit is 80 km/h.

Whether or not my MDS is kicking in I don't know, I'm getting pretty good mileage so far so I must be doing something right.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
woodsierock is on a distinguished road

Does the fuel saver light only come on in the laramie model.I have an slt and have never spotted this.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
burningroove is on a distinguished road

Do all 2009 Hemi engines come equiped with the MDS? Ive never seen a fuel saver light come on....cuz im always rompin on it, ............but i can tell its in the mode....i got 19.2 miles to the gallon last week, at 65 miles an hour at roughly 1200 rpm , with very little pedal...and plenty of pickup when i mashed on it......
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Early 09's did not have a Fuel Saver light, or, they were not activated from the factory. Later 09 versions did have/were activated.

Somewhere down the line, the 'Later' year model RAMS went from Fuel Saver to ECO lights,,, (Not sure which year model they switched)

Still with me? Good!

I have a Cortex and can tell instantly via an abrupt change in the MAP reading when I'm in 4 or 8, (that, along with 36,000 miles of experince with this truck)

BEFORE I went in for a 'HVAC' flash 2+ years ago, my FUELSAVER light was directly linked to the MDS.

IMMEDIATELY AFTER the flash, the dayum thing was no longer linked to MDS, and was activated by 'conservative driving'. As I do a lot of stop and go / conservative driving, the dayum FUELSAVER light stayed on so much, I considered it to be pretty much useless, so I deactivated it in the EVIC.

Now, that should clear up all the "does" and "does not" discussions we are having here, right!?!?

LMAO!!!!

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 01-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
rick980 is on a distinguished road

If you cannot tell when you are in MDS then your vehicle is running seamless as they advertise the MDS system as it works on mine. I cannot for the life of me hear any difference in the engine but I can see the tach changes shortly after the Fuel Saver light goes on. It is supposed to be quiet and seamless as I have noticed and my mileage is on target so feel good, I think the early build 09's are better JMHO.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
Zlow28 is on a distinguished road

i have an 07, but im used to driving a z28 and a gixxer, both of which are MUCH louder than my ram. I think thats the reason i cant tell when mds is on or off.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
BigTJohn is on a distinguished road
Default Mds on?

On my '09 SLT Quad Cab, I feel/see/hear a difference in the engine/rpm/exhaust note (standard exhaust) when MDS keem to go down a few hundred, engine smoothes out/goes quieter, but when a small ridse in elevation (going over an overpass or slight incline) the engine picks up (no downshift) in rpm's (only a couple hundred) and feels a slight "surge in power (the other four cyls kicking in?) then after the apex of the "climb" power then kicks out and rpm's drop a couple hundred. Hiway driving nets 20+ mpg with 500 mi per tank indicated on EVIC (but actual calc yields right at 20 mpg), with a 26 gal fuel tank Hemi. Just my take.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Especially when cold, during a 'very light accelleration' event, I can also feel a surge when going from 8 to 4.
The single physical act of going from 4 to 8 or back doesn't change the rpms, but the loading of the engine, and how the engine / tranny reponds to that loading can, at times, have a small affect on rpms. It's all computer controlled/fly-by-wire,,,
All in all, it is pretty seamless, and the biggest indication I have of the change other than my Cortex is exhaust tone