DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
tf34racer is on a distinguished road
Default Radio screen not auto dimming

I have the 430 radio and when I go to settings and set the brightness to auto it doesn't get dim when it's dark out. I have to go in and switch it back and forth manually. Is there something I'm missing? Should I take it in couse the sensor's broke? The headlights work just fine in auto. Is the radio using the same sensor?

Thanks for any help
Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Rep:19
lewisb13 is on a distinguished road

I believe theres a setting in your truck somewhere the controls how bright the backlighting is on your speedo and such. You probably have that locked to as bright as it will go maybe? Id start there.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

I went through something similar thinking mine wasn't working, constantly changing at night and day.

Before you start the truck, make sure the headlight is on auto, and double check what LewisB13 was talking about. Like a dimmer control knob...for the life of me I can't remember but pretty sure it's near the headlight switch and a tiny knob of sort.

Then, going to the radio and double check it's on auto. Start the truck...see if it works when the headlights turn on. It doesn't dimm immediately if you ever notice that the lights take a second to come on. I park my truck in the garage at night so when I start the truck, I remember it taking a second to auto-on the lights in which the radio dim simultaneously.

Something else to check is in the EVIC. I have a setting on my EVIC that if the wipers are turned on, the lights automatically come on which I then see my radio dim even during the daylight. I don't think the EVIC setting is a cause, but I'd check those things last.

Doesn't work after these suggestions, time to see Mr. Chrysler Dealer for some help as mine works as designed.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: marine blue
Rep:22
New2Ram is on a distinguished road

Ya I think your problem is your dash light dimmer rotary knob. If you turn it all the way to the right it turns on the dome lights. Back it off till the lights go off, then you will feel another little click. That turns your radio and dash lights down, just play with that knob until you get it.
Mopar Nerf Bars, 3.55 gears, 20% tint, 18" Magnaflow muffler, shorty antenna, 10" Memphis sub, Sound stream amp, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, tri-fold soft tonneau cover, smoke head light and tail light covers, blue l.e.d. brow lights, Built 12-6-10 @ noon
Old 12-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Like the others have pointed out, the dash light dimmer control is likely your culprit.
It has a variable setting from very dim to bright, followed by the first indent which sets axillary equipment like the radio display at max brightness regardless of whether or not the headlights are on. This is likely the position yours is in.

Of course the second and final indent turns on the interior lights, and in the opposite direction (full dim then to the indent) turns off the interior lights even if the door(s) are open. This is a great feature when cleaning the truck.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Rep:26
tf34racer is on a distinguished road

It was that knob. I feel dumb for not checking that. Thanks for the help
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: White
Rep:16
BeBeep is on a distinguished road

I am glad I ran across this thread. I bought my wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday and we could not figure out why the stereo would not dim. I checked the dimmer wheel next to the headlight switch and it was turned too far. I backed it off and now the stereo dims.

Thanks Gents!

2010 Ram R/T - 2011 GWE Challenger SRT8